Stephen Speicher

Facets of Ayn Rand

Rate this book   15 votes

1. 1. Rate this book

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 posts in this topic

For sheer pleasure and enjoyment, as well as for fascinating glimpses of, and insights into, both Ayn Rand and the wonderful authors, never has so much been said in so few pages. A true treasure.

This little book (it is only 150 pages long) has a very simple style and straightforward subject matter. However, it deserves a very slow reading because it describes aspects of the daily life of a philosophical and literary genius who deserved much better treatment from the world than she generally received.

This little book shows Ayn Rand at work and at play. She was a passionate valuer in all aspects of her life. I realized that for the first time in reading this distillation of 48 hours of taped interviews with Mary Ann and Charles Sures.

A bonus of the book is seeing the Sures living their lives fully too. Charles Sures showed his passion for life up to the last period of his life: He continued working on the manuscript of the book despite the approaching end. Mary Ann Sures has pursued her love of art and history of art for fifty years, to this day. Their love story -- their love for life and for each other -- is inspiring.

One of my favorite scenes is the one at a stamp collectors' convention. A stamp dealer was rude to Ayn Rand. Her reaction to his rudeness is a model for others. I learned other valuable lessons for my own life, but only on the second, much slower and more thoughtful reading.

This book is charming, delightful, inspiring and, for those who were not privileged to know Ayn Rand personally, enlightening. True friends of Ayn Rand, who knew and valued her for many years, give intimate glimpses of Ayn Rand and her life. (They also debunk, with factual counter-examples, many of the vicious lies, rumors, and myths spread by Ayn Rand's enemies).

This is truly a book to enjoy and savor. It is about a wonderful person (and her husband) by two wonderful people who knew, understood, and appreciated Ayn Rand for all the right reasons.

This book revolutionized my life. While I had always admired Ayn Rand for what she did, my admiration and value were more on the books than the person. This book did an amazing job of making Ayn Rand personal to me. By making Ayn Rand alive, I have now a wonderful gem that can never be taken away; not by those who attack her as a person, nor those who attack her philosophy.

When I finished this book, I was seized by a fire and passion that still to this day burns brightly within my soul. There are no words in the English language that express the gratitude I have for the Sures.

The only thing that I can add to the reviews is; get the book and enjoy the value and happiness one can obtain from it.