dondigitalia

Adware

12 posts in this topic

Ever since I started taking my laptop to school and connecting to the network there, I've been plagued by adware, spyware, popups, and pretty much everything else annoying you can think of. Does anybody know of an easy way to get rid of it all without having to reformat my hard drive?

Try a combination of AdAware and Spy-Bot

I personally use both on my Window's Machine and have hardly any spyware.

...Or you could switch to Apple! :-D

Try a combination of AdAware and Spy-Bot

I personally use both on my Window's Machine and have hardly any spyware. 

...Or you could switch to Apple! :-D

I have an Apple @ home, but my laptop is Windows. I need both for work, but I greatly prefer Macs. :)

Dave,

If you have window you can upload microsofts antispyware for free. All you need is the register number, which is on the microsoft booklet. I have loaded it on my computer and it does a very good job.

Dave,

If you have window you can upload microsofts antispyware for free. All you need is the register number, which is on the microsoft booklet.  I have loaded it on my computer and it does a very good job.

I will look into it. Is it available at Microsoft.com?

I will look into it. Is it available at Microsoft.com?

Indeed! The link is here

Thanks! I downloaded Spy-bot last night. It found a ton of stuff. One pop-up was even masquerading as an advertisement for Microsoft AntiSpyware!!! I'm running the real one right this minute. :)

Well at least your spam is kind enough to recommend methods of its own removal. :)

While I highly recommend Microsoft Anti-Spyware, you can greatly reduce spam, pop-ups, and other annoyances by using an alternative browser like Opera. In my case, a monthly run of Spybot will typically have little or no "threats".

Well at least your spam is kind enough to recommend methods of its own removal.  :)

While I highly recommend Microsoft Anti-Spyware, you can greatly reduce spam, pop-ups, and other annoyances by using an alternative browser like Opera.  In my case, a monthly run of Spybot will typically have little or no "threats".

Is Opera the software manufacturer that lobbied for antitrust legislation against Microsoft? Or was that someone else?

Is Opera the software manufacturer that lobbied for antitrust legislation against Microsoft? Or was that someone else?

That was Oracle.

That was Oracle.

Oh, ok. I knew it was something that started with an O.

I recommend using Firefox, I have been using that with Windows machines for almost 2 years and I haven't had any trouble with spyware. It seems that most spyware exploits weaknesses in Internet Explorer specifically. In addition, Firefox is more streamlined than IE and webpages will load faster.