Stephen Speicher

Lost (2004)

Rate this TV show   14 votes

1. 1. Rate this TV show

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 posts in this topic

A friend of mine bought Season 1 DVDs, and I've been absolutely absorbed by this show. What I find most interesting about it is the touching detail with which it explores the lives of each of the major outcasts before the crash, and provides hints for each person's personal 'journey' and eventual resolution with the help of this crazy island they live on. It's a very touching show. And also, I can't get enough of Katie/Annie, whoever she is (don't tell me, I'm still in the middle of Season 1). I'm not a regular watcher of TV shows, but I am inclined to rate it up high with all of my all-time favorite greats, so I will most likely give it an 8. Not a 9 because it's just so stressful to watch the show, especially on DVD with no commercial breaks!

What I find most interesting about it is the touching detail with which it explores the lives of each of the major outcasts before the crash, and provides hints for each person's personal 'journey' and eventual resolution with the help of this crazy island they live on. It's a very touching show. 

It seems like one of the premises of the show is to put ordinary people with their problems in extraordinary circumstances. I have been wathching Lost since episode one and while I like the show for the touching element you described I am uncertain as of yet what its essence will be; ie will it have a positive, benevolent metaphysics or a mystical, malevolent metaphysics (which I suspect will be the case).

It is well written and the acting performances are excellent from everyone especially Mathew Fox who can show internal suffering and sadness better than anyone I've seen. I can't say that there is any discpicable character on the show, although Locke could go either way (hero or villain). The characters aren't naturalistic as they are in another show I regularly watch, namely Battlestar Galactica. But they are not romantic heroes like the characters that inhabit the universe of Firefly (especially Mal who would probably have figured out the deepest secrets of the island by now). The characters of Lost are "quietly heroic" for the most part in that they are struggling to overcome difficencies in their character under very trying circumstances.

As for the island and its mysteries, it seems like the writers have left open every possibility from aliens to all powerful corporations to secret government projects to some type of purgatory to you name it. No matter how it turns out, so long as the show is well written and well acted it will have entertainment value and hopefully it will have a philosophically uplifting element or two before the ultimate secrets are revealed.