Stephen Speicher

"Miss" not "Ms." as a title for Ayn Rand

2 posts in this topic

The title "Ms." rose as a symbol of the feminist movement in the 1960s, with Gloria Steinem and Ms. magazine waving the feminist banner into the following decade. It remains a modern-day symbol of feminism, and just because it has become common usage does not mean we have to accept it. Ayn Rand rejected the feminist movement and all its trappings, and out of respect for Miss Rand here on THE FORUM we choose not to associate her name with such a defamed symbol.

Every third party reference to Ayn Rand in all of her Objectivist newsletters always referred to "Miss Rand" in announcements, statements, articles, etc. (except, of course, when referred to as "Ayn Rand"). These references to "Miss Rand" were all done with her approval as editor, and you will never find any "Ms. Rand" reference therein, despite the common usage. Likewise, in OPAR and other books by those who personally knew Miss Rand, the reference is always to "Miss Rand," which I take as her wish.

So, please, in postings on THE FORUM, if you want to use a title always use "Miss" not "Ms." in reference to Ayn Rand. From now on I will delete any postings that do not do so.

The title "Ms." rose as a symbol of the feminist movement in the 1960s, with Gloria Steinem and Ms. magazine waving the feminist banner into the following decade. It remains a modern-day symbol of feminism, and just because it has become common usage does not mean we have to accept it. Ayn Rand rejected the feminist movement and all its trappings, and out of respect for Miss Rand here on THE FORUM we choose not to associate her name with such a defamed symbol.

Every third party reference to Ayn Rand in all of her Objectivist newsletters always referred to "Miss Rand" in announcements, statements, articles, etc. (except, of course, when referred to as "Ayn Rand"). These references to "Miss Rand" were all done with her approval as editor, and you will never find any "Ms. Rand" reference therein, despite the common usage. Likewise, in OPAR and other books by those who personally knew Miss Rand, the reference is always to "Miss Rand," which I take as her wish.

So, please, in postings on THE FORUM, if you want to use a title always use "Miss" not "Ms." in reference to Ayn Rand. From now on I will delete any postings that do not do so.

Wow, I never suspected that it had anything to do with feminism. Thanks for the heads up.

LFNO

RG