Free Capitalist

Email notifications

9 posts in this topic

Whenever I do a "Fast Reply", one of the checkboxes that show up is called something like, "Email me notification of replies to my post". This checkbox is always checked, which means that I am automatically "subscribed" to the thread every time I FastReply to it (unless I remember to check the box off). Can you make it the other way around, so that only those who need the email notification get it? I've been wondering why my mailbox has already received numerous such notifications.

P.S. Email notification is automatically off for the regular Reply.

Whenever I do a "Fast Reply", one of the checkboxes that show up is called something like, "Email me notification of replies to my post". This checkbox is always checked, which means that I am automatically "subscribed" to the thread every time I FastReply to it (unless I remember to check the box off). Can you make it the other way around, so that only those who need the email notification get it? I've been wondering why my mailbox has already received numerous such notifications.

P.S. Email notification is automatically off for the regular Reply.

I think the defaults you mention are all hard-coded into the software.

I have never used this FastReply before. Why do you use that?

It's fast :angry: I don't have to wait for a whole new reply window to load up. For example I'm typing this in a Fast Reply box right now, because I know that all I intend to say here is just a short comment, and that I am not going to use any BB Code.

It's fast :angry: I don't have to wait for a whole new reply window to load up. For example I'm typing this in a Fast Reply box right now, because I know that all I intend to say here is just a short comment, and that I am not going to use any BB Code.

Hmm. I just tried Fast Reply and the normal Reply that I use, and they both opened in a split second (though Fast Reply split the second a trifle faster). I can barely discern the difference. Do you have a slow connection?

It's one of those things that seem trivial upon first glance, and I too thought the difference was negligible when trying both kinds of reply. However, over time I've found myself using the Fast Reply more and more, just because it's so fast and convenient (you make your reply in the same window as the rest of the thread, etc). Nowadays I only revert to the regular Reply if I absolutely have to, or if I have a long post. In those cases when I realize my post will not be as short as I thought, I just click "More Options" and whatever I've written so far gets transferred over into the regular Reply window, where I continue.

If you want, try it out for a few days, and use only that feature to reply to posts. You'll see that somehow it grows on you, and becomes very convenient. :angry: The actual difference in speed is small, but what's more important is how we perceive the fact; and in my mind the FastReply is combined with words like "instantaneous", "responsive", etc. And it lets you reply in the same thread, nor alters how the thread looks, whereas the regular Reply makes you go to a new page, where the replies are sorted opposite, and in general look quite different.

It's one of those things that seem trivial upon first glance, and I too thought the difference was negligible when trying both kinds of reply. However, over time I've found myself using the Fast Reply more and more, just because it's so fast and convenient (you make your reply in the same window as the rest of the thread, etc). Nowadays I only revert to the regular Reply if I absolutely have to, or if I have a long post. In those cases when I realize my post will not be as short as I thought, I just click "More Options" and whatever I've written so far gets transferred over into the regular Reply window, where I continue.

Oh, I did not know about this transfer feature. That is nice.

However, in general, one thing which I would like to encourage is to provide some context from the post to which a reply is being made, and the normal reply method automatically does that. The context can then easily be pared down to whatever is appropriate.

Stephen, as I was writing my post in the "Ask the Experts" subforum, this time in the full-fledged regular Reply mode, the "email notification" was on by default. Just fyi, something to look into once you've got some free time :angry:

Oh, I just noticed that it's also on by default in this subforum too.

Stephen, as I was writing my post in the "Ask the Experts" subforum, this time in the full-fledged regular Reply mode, the "email notification" was on by default. Just fyi, something to look into once you've got some free time :angry:

Oh, I just noticed that it's also on by default in this subforum too.

That is a setting under member control. In your control panel go to Options->Email Settings and under "Board Preferences" the last box reads "Enable 'Email Notification' by default?" Make sure that box is unchecked if you do not want "Email Notification" to be your default.

Ok oops, I checked the box for Email Notifications, but told it not to send any email notifications to me. Now looking back at the settings I saw the fineprint, that even if no email was sent to me, the fact that the checkbox was checked meant that I was automatically subscribed to the thread I was replying to.

So I unchecked that. Thanks.