coreyo

the future : Epistemology

6 posts in this topic

I've pretty much solved this so called "problem" inside my own head but i want to see if I can some response different or similar to my own thoughts

This is related to Hume's ideas (Stuff we're covering in my intro university philosophy class )

"How do you know that the future will be like the past?"

Because so far, it has been (one is playing fast and loose with the word "like" here, of course).

I'd also say, because we have certain laws; be they the laws of physics or the laws of metaphysics. We know certain things to be true (existence exists, what goes up must come down, human nature). So the future will be like the past, because these things do not change.

Because A is A.

Things are what they are and they do what they do because they are what they are.

If things are, in the future, the same as they are now, they will be and do, in the future, what they are and do now.

As one approach, I would wonder why the question addresses only one side of the like/unlike coin. Why not also ask why one can expect the future to be unlike the past?

That might give rise to further questions, such as: Why is the present like the past in some ways and unlike it in other ways? Why would one expect the future to be different from the present -- in relation to the past?

Such questions would probably then funnel into the central one already identified: What is the nature of identity and what does time have to do with it?