Oakes

The New PSU Objectivist Club!

13 posts in this topic

Well, the PSU Objectivist Club is back up and running after a year or two of inactivity. I'm currently the club's webmaster (ohh I love that title), and my first job was to revamp the old website some of you may have had the displeasure of seeing. I have very little experience making websites, but I bought up some space from iLOVEprodos.com and started experimenting. Here's the finished product, which I just put online this morning:

www.psuobjectivism.com

I'll be showing my club members at the meeting tonight, unless any of them happen to find this post!

Well, the PSU Objectivist Club is back up and running after a year or two of inactivity. I'm currently the club's webmaster (ohh I love that title), and my first job was to revamp the old website some of you may have had the displeasure of seeing. I have very little experience making websites, but I bought up some space from iLOVEprodos.com and started experimenting. Here's the finished product, which I just put online this morning:

www.psuobjectivism.com

Congratulations, Zach. Nice to know that the Objectivist Club at your university has been resurrected. :wacko:

I like the blue and white color scheme of the site, as well as the overall layout. However, I think the main banner needs some work. The Ayn Rand quote and the PSOC letters and name do not seem to stand out well from the background picture. And, personally, I also find the picture itself to be too blotchy. I think a nice clear photograph of that scene might work, though.

Anyway, congratulations again, and I wish you success with the club.

Congratulations, Zach. Nice to know that the Objectivist Club at your university has been resurrected.  :wacko:

I like the blue and white color scheme of the site, as well as the overall layout. However, I think the main banner needs some work. The Ayn Rand quote and the PSOC letters and name do not seem to stand out well from the background picture. And, personally, I also find the picture itself to be too blotchy. I think a nice clear photograph of that scene might work, though.

Anyway, congratulations again, and I wish you success with the club.

I still have the original picture (I photoshopped this), so I could replace that layer and see what people think. I actually have my own reservations about it: it is too large vertically. I'd like to see more of the page.

I wish we had an art major as a member :blink:

Congratulations on getting your club up and running! I'm still waiting on the paperwork for mine to go through; it's been 5 weeks since I turned it in. The office which handles student organizations is horribly disorganized, I'm learning. :wacko: .

Congratulations on getting your club up and running! I'm still waiting on the paperwork for mine to go through; it's been 5 weeks since I turned it in. The office which handles student organizations is horribly disorganized, I'm learning. :wacko: .

I bet ours is the same, but even though we were inactive for so long, they apparently forgot to remove us from the list of recognized clubs. All we had to do was update the list of officers. So in our case, their incompetence was to our benefit :blink:

www.psuobjectivism.com

I'll be showing my club members at the meeting tonight, unless any of them happen to find this post!

Oakes,

Congratulations on getting the club back up and running. I was the PSU Objectivist Club president back in 1990-91. It was a beneficial experience for me, particularly since I got to know my future wife through the club. Give my regards to Dr. Simpson.

Regards,

Brian Reich

Brian,

That's amazing...I was just looking through the old P$OC materials Dr. Simpson gave me and I found a flier from fifteen years ago listing you as president. It says you should give a club officer your "electronic mail address if you have one" :)

Anyway, Simpson's a very interesting guy - he's reserved yet very enthusiastic about the club. We visited him at the house he designed and built himself - he's definitely an F.L. Wright fan.

BTW, Stephen, I finally got the chance to make the banner background more clear. It's still kinda blurry because I had to increase the image size (i.e. stretch it).

BTW, Stephen, I finally got the chance to make the banner background more clear. It's still kinda blurry because I had to increase the image size (i.e. stretch it).

It certainly looks much improved as compared to the earlier blotchy image. Perhaps you are still in the process of developing the site, but on the right side next to "Meetings/Events" is a "search the announcements..." in a different font, differently colored than the rest of the choices. In Firefox it also overlaps a portion of "Meetings/Events."

Again, congratulations on starting up the club.

It certainly looks much improved as compared to the earlier blotchy image. Perhaps you are still in the process of developing the site, but on the right side next to "Meetings/Events" is a "search the announcements..." in a different font, differently colored than the rest of the choices. In Firefox it also overlaps a portion of "Meetings/Events."

Again, congratulations on starting up the club.

The "search the announcements" is actually a text box where you enter whatever you're searching for - it's not a tab. I didn't realize it was overlapping with the tab though - I'll have to fix that!

The "search the announcements" is actually a text box where you enter whatever you're searching for - it's not a tab. I didn't realize it was overlapping with the tab though - I'll have to fix that!

I see you have now fixed it.

You have done such a nice job on the site, and I hate to pick away at this, but a couple of more comments on the "search." It was not clear to me what that function was, and how to use it. I think it would work and look much better with

1) The same white background as the rest, instead of the tan.

2) The "search announcements..." disappears when you click on it. (This makes it more clear that you type in text.)

3) A little "go" button that activates the search.

I know, I know, easy for me to say. :)

Thanks for the suggestions - I'm going to try to do some of these things once I get a better handle on PHP. I actually still haven't figured out how to make the title appear on the blue bar at the top (if you're using Windows XP).

I just changed the banner again to make it smaller. By accident, it includes the WTC towers - that's what the rest of the image had.

Zach, under "Website Stuff," what is the "Login" for?

That's for people who have an account, which is needed in order to write announcements on the front page. I was originally going to give an account to every member, back when the front page was simply called "Blog." However, both the club president and Dr. Simpson were worried that people would write things that would embarrass them or the club, so we narrowed it down to "Announcements" and only gave a few people accounts. (I was disappointed, but they were right)