realitycheck44

Exomos Submersibles

9 posts in this topic

This has to be one of the coolest companies (and websites) that I have ever seen. This company, named Exomos, is a submarine company that designs and builds the best personal submarines for sale on the planet.

This is what I want to do. Until now, I hadn't heard of a private company that designed, built, and sold submarines for recreational and personal use. I had this idea a while ago, and I hope to start my own submarine company one day. :) I will hopefully do pretty much the same thing... but faster, stronger, larger- better, of course. :D Until then, I have these guys to look up to. I'm so excited! I can't even concentrate. I've been trying to draw up a plan for miniature submarine (to test different hull designs and shapes, and other stuff) with some friends and see if my mom's company might could sponsor it. This makes me want to get the ball rolling as soon as possible.

Here's a link to their awesome website. Even if you aren't especially interested in naval architecture, the website itself is a masterpiece. Make sure to click on the "Company" icon bar and watch the video. It's so incredibly cool! My favorite sub is the Proteus.

Happy viewing. I hope some of you enjoy it as much as I did.

Zak

Here's a link to their awesome website. Even if you aren't especially interested in naval architecture, the website itself is a masterpiece. Make sure to click on the "Company" icon bar and watch the video. It's so incredibly cool! My favorite sub is the Proteus.

I can appreciate your excitement over this, Zak. Beautiful machines. Look forward to reading about your design one day!

This has to be one of the coolest companies (and websites) that I have ever seen. This company, named Exomos, is a submarine company that designs and builds the best personal submarines for sale on the planet.

This is what I want to do. Until now, I hadn't heard of a private company that designed, built, and sold submarines for recreational and personal use. I had this idea a while ago, and I hope to start my own submarine company one day. :) I will hopefully do pretty much the same thing... but faster, stronger, larger- better, of course. :D Until then, I have these guys to look up to. I'm so excited! I can't even concentrate. I've been trying to draw up a plan for miniature submarine (to test different hull designs and shapes, and other stuff) with some friends and see if my mom's company might could sponsor it. This makes me want to get the ball rolling as soon as possible.

Happy viewing. I hope some of you enjoy it as much as I did.

Zak

Thank you! This is very exciting!

LFNO

RG

Those are beautiful vehicles. It's amazing what you miss when you're not paying attention. I wonder who buys them and what they cost?

Btw, on a similar note, have you ever seen the Bionic Dolphin? This is not in the class of the subs you mention, but it's definitely an innovative and fun design.

It's basically mechanical dolphin sub, which can reach speeds of 30 mph and is very agile in the water.

The website is here clicky. There is also a video you can see on the Discovery website click here

Very cool, but I wonder how many of those are "on paper only" concepts, and how many designs have actually been built and sold.

Very cool, but I wonder how many of those are "on paper only" concepts, and how many designs have actually been built and sold.

I was curious about that myself, and a little searching revealed that Jaubert's company was previously known as Palm Submarines, and prior to that the design for many of the submarines were part of his Florida company Seahorse Submarines. I get the impression that they may have built a few one-off models and that now with proper financing the latest company is gearing up for real production. Here is an article that mentions their recent plans to actually build 1,000 submarines over the next five years, built in a 50,000 sqft. manufacturing plant under construction.

I had the thought a few years back that there's probably a huge latent, unfulfilled market, for a tourism company using such submersibles. The company could set up shop in various tropical locales around the world.

These are interesting devices. I too wonder what they cost, and what the main market is.... are they mostly rich men's toys, or are there perhaps people using them for profit somewhere?

I'm also curious as to what kind of propulsion they use. Diesel-electric, as in World War II? Perhaps something more exotic like the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide (which has been used before)? Or perhaps they are just relying exclusively on batteries...

I remember reading, maybe 20 or 30 years ago, an article in the Wall Street Journal about a company on the East coast that made small one-man submarines. They didn't go very deep, and cost $12,000 back then.

I'm not entirely sure on the numbers, but I read somewhere that the lowest priced one is around $35,000, with the higher prices upwards of $250,000 and higher.

They are both rich men's toys and military vehicles. I'm not sure if they sell to private companies who might use them for ocean surveying, but it seems like a good idea to me. There's probably other companies who do only this, so Exomos might not market to that specific area as much as the recreational aspect. Oh, I just thought that some diving companies might want to use these types of subs to take people down. For instance the Proteus can carry up to sixteen people between its fore and aft decks (and eight inside the "cockpit"). They also have a catamaran that seems ideal for diving off of.

The subs are mostly electrically powered, I believe.

Thanks for the interest you guys have shown. The questions are very interesting.

Zak