Jonathan Awesome

Gmail

25 posts in this topic

Anyone that wants a Gmail account just let me know.

What is Gmail and why should anyone want one? What is the cost?

What is Gmail and why should anyone want one?  What is the cost?

Gmail is a beta test of Google's free web based email account. The account is free - but, at this point, it is by invitation only.

Lord Poppy: I, for one, would very much like to have one. :angry:

What is Gmail and why should anyone want one?  What is the cost?

Gmail is a mail box from google.com, and they give you something like a gigabyte of storage space. I think the idea is that you do not have to delete your mail, and you can use google facilities to search through you emails. I think it is free, but I think you also give them the right to search through your email, presumably gathering keywords to enable them to display relevant ads while you are reading mail.

But, don't quote me on this. These is just some things I heard secondhand.

Gmail is a beta test of Google's free web based email account.  The account is free - but, at this point,  it is by invitation only.

Lord Poppy:  I, for one, would very much like to have one.  :angry:

I'll need your email address to invite you.

Gmail is a mail box from google.com, and they give you something like a gigabyte of storage space. I think the idea is that you do not have to delete your mail, and you can use google facilities to search through you emails. I think it is free, but I think you also give them the right to search through your email, presumably gathering keywords to enable them to display relevant ads while you are reading mail.

My address is dismukeATdismuke.org

Gee - Thanks! :angry:

My address is dismukeATdismuke.org

Gee - Thanks! :angry:

Ooooppps. That was intended as a reply to Lord Poppycock. Instead, I hit the wrong reply button and ended up replying to Stephen.

They scan for keywords. And they state that "No humans read any email messages ...". But this isn't the same as: "no humans can read any email messages ..."

I wouldn't trust it at all. Sound like dumb idea to me, as what PC doesn't have 10-20 gigabytes to spare these days? I have every email message I have sent/recieved since 1996 (and it's free too).

Their privacy policy means nothing, absolutely nothing. A dishonest employee doesn't follow googles privacy policy, do they? Imagine what a gold mine all that data would be. It's just asking to be stolen. Just recently an employee of AOL was arrested for selling e-mail addresses to spammers. (And I'm sure AOL had all kinds of privacy policies in place)

Another story was related in the book, "hollywood interrupted". A young woman who worked at AOL had access to all the customer/billing data. This allowed her to locate famouse people from their billing records, and determine their online nickname/alias. It turns out that famous people rather enjoy socializing without their fame getting in the way. Anyway, this employee would find out when a famous person was online and chat with them, pretending to be an average clueless user. She had access to lots of famous personalities, as they assumed she was just a random stranger who didn't know who they were.

So the 'g' in gmail stands for garbage (in my opinion, of course :angry: ) Invitation only? Give me a break. What a clever marketing ploy to make people think this service is "special", "elite", etc...

I think the “marketing ploy” is to keep more people from signing up than they are prepared for. From what I understand it’s going to be something that anyone can sign up for sometime soon.

from google's website:

http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/privacy.html

We pay close attention to security. First, we focus significant time and resources to ensure that user accounts and information are not misused by Google employees. A limited set of employees are authorized to access user accounts, they are educated about the importance of maintaining user privacy, and their access to user accounts is recorded. Our employees are also contractually required to access accounts and log data only for quality, security, audit, and other internal business purposes. Second, we implement technology and procedures to try to make sure that external parties cannot access or modify users’ personal information on our servers. These technologies and procedures include industry standard methods as well as our own proprietary methods.

I think I should lessen my objections to gmail a little. After all, Visa, banks etc.. have access to even more critical data and nobody thinks twice about it.

I guess it comes down to who watches the watchers. I like google and think they do a great job. My only concern is that security on the internet has not yet reached the level of trust that other industries have earned. So I personally would hold off on gmail (and similar technologies)

I think the “marketing ploy” is to keep more people from signing up than they are prepared for. From what I understand it’s going to be something that anyone can sign up for sometime soon.

Google lacks the disk storage and band-width for an email service? That's hard for me to believe. you just invited all 400 people on this forum to use the service. After about 6 degress of this, everyone on the planet could have a gmail account.

I think the “marketing ploy” is to keep more people from signing up than they are prepared for.

That's correct. Gmail is in BETA still which means that they are in the process testing and developing the software. It is quite standard in the software industry to limit the number of people testing your software.

I love my Gmail and it's my favorite mail service yet by far. Concerning the privacy issue, every email (unless encrypted) is vulnerable to hackers.

That's correct. Gmail is in BETA still which means that they are in the process testing and developing the software. It is quite standard in the software industry to limit the number of people testing your software.

I love my Gmail and it's my favorite mail service yet by far. Concerning the privacy issue, every email (unless encrypted) is vulnerable to hackers.

I was wrong to characterize qmail invitations as a marketing ploy, as I didn't understand they were testing this.

Anyway, what are the main advantages over Outlook Express or other mail clients that reside on the desktop? I can think of one huge advantage and that is the ability to read your mail when you are away from your computer (although most ISP's provide a web based interface to fill this need). What do you consider the main advantage(s) of gmail?

Cheers

What do you consider the main advantage(s) of gmail?

My favorite feature is the conversation. Gmail consolidates all of the replies that you get for the same subject into a single threaded conversation much like a BBS. All of the extra text that comes through in replies is hidden (but is still expandable) and what you get is a single string of emails that looks like a thread in a forum like this. It really cuts down on the clutter and it makes it very easy to keep related messages together.

That alone is worth giving Gmail a try but there are plenty more attractive features.

Lord Poppycock - Thanks so much! I was even able to get dismukeATgmail.com That's great! I was kind of afraid that one of those people out there who use "Dismuke" as a polynominal surname might have already come along and taken it - which would, of course, have been just one more instance of a polynominal oppressor edging out poor, persecuted mononominals such as myself who only have but one name! But I was able to get it right off the bat - despite the fact that we live in a culture filled with namist, monophobic polynominal bigotry. Hmmmmm. Gee - now I kind of know how poor Jesse Jackson must feel every time he sees Condaleeza Rice on TV! :angry:

I think I should lessen my objections to gmail a little. After all, Visa, banks etc.. have access to even more critical data and nobody thinks twice about it.

I guess it comes down to who watches the watchers. I like google and think they do a great job. My only concern is that security on the internet has not yet reached the level of trust that other industries have earned. So I personally would hold off on gmail (and similar technologies)

Then I am afraid that you probably would need to stay away from email and the Internet altogether. If you have an email account with your ISP - well, my guess is the employees there probably have easier access to it then do google employees in light of the recent attention that has been focused on gmail.

The bottom line is that it is probably a good idea to assume that whatever you write in an email is NOT especially secure. Once you click the "send" button, you no longer have control over what ultimately happens to that message. Forget the ISP and gmail employees - how secure is the recipient's computer? Who else besides that person currently has access to it and who else might have access to it years in the future? How secure is the person's house against a break in?

I know a few people who still refuse to make online purchases on grounds that they don't "feel safe" giving out their credit card numbers over the Internet. I always give such people a funny look and ask: "Do you eat at restaurants?" Of course, they do. And they don't think twice about physically giving their credit card to a total stranger who takes it into some back room for a couple of minutes and does who knows what with the information printed on the card while they process the bill. Considering the fact that orders entered into the website of a large on-line retailer usually feed directly into a fully computerized order processing system, in most cases ZERO real live human beings will ever see the credit card number unless there is some sort of problem with the card or the order which would require someone to actually access the account.

As for the ads in gmail - well, obviously there has to be some sort of advertising if it is going to be given away as a free service. What I like about their ads is that they are the same as the text only ads that you see in google search results - which I find to be far less obnoxious than banner ads, splash ads and such. Plus the fact that they are targeted by key words might mean that I for once will see ads for products and services that I might actually have an interest in.

I actually use Google's ad service to advertise my Internet radio station. If you enter in certain keywords in a google search, or if there is a certain product description on sites like amazon.com that closely matches those keywords, you will most likely see a small ad for my station. I have been very pleased with the results I have had from them and I only pay based on how many people click on the ad rather than how many times the ad is displayed.

A few moments ago, I sent a test message from my existing account to my new gmail account and packed that message full of those key words. Sure enough, when I opened the message in gmail, I saw on the right side of the window my ad for Radio Dismuke. So, as a google advertiser, I think it is kind of exciting that I will have yet venue in which to get my message out in a very cost effective and highly targeted manner. Opportunities like that are hard to find when you are trying to advertise on a very, very small budget.

I have many more invitation I can give out. The offer is still standing.

I sent you a PM with my email address, but I've heard nothing from you. What do I need to do to take you up on your offer beyond that?

That’s odd. I know I submitted your address to the invitation form because your address was automatically added to my contact list. You should have received an email from Gmail containing a link to an automatically generated page where you can sign up.

I’ll try something else check your PMs.

That’s odd. I know I submitted your address to the invitation form because your address was automatically added to my contact list. You should have received an email from Gmail containing a link to an automatically generated page where you can sign up.

I’ll try something else check your PMs.

Okay. I received the email inviting me to join. Once again, I am frustrated by the fact that I am on MSNTV! The browser doesn't support much of anything, including gmail. :o

Thank you so much for your efforts on my behalf.

Janet Busch