Stephen Speicher

Pride & Prejudice (2005)

Rate this movie   21 votes

1. 1. Rate this movie

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 posts in this topic

I am not generally enamored by period pieces, nor do slow paced movies usually get my attention, but this lovely film was romantic both in style and content. Beautifully done visually, with some rather interesting techniques, yet it was the spirit of Elizabeth Bennet (portrayed brilliantly by Keira Knightley) that made the film. Along with her love interest, Mr Darcy, the pair highlighted the importance of character and showed with irreverent disdain what happens when good character is absent. From laughter to love, a film well worth seeing.

p.s. I have loved Keira Knightley's acting, especially in Pirates of the Caribbean (of which the 2nd and 3rd sequel is being made), and the particular quality in the character she portrayed, but I must say that her acting in this movie elevates her to that of a super star. Definitely worthy of an Academy Award nomination.

I went to see the movie yesterday with my girlfriend.

I liked it. It is funny. Jane Austen is known for her clever use of language. At some point, one of the Bennett sisters mentions to Darcy and another woman (his best friend's sister) that she thinks that balls are not interesting. It would be much more interesting to have conversations - that would be a better way to meet people. To this the other woman responds something like: "More interesting maybe, but perhaps less likeable" (which sounds like: "perhaps less like a ball"). I love the smart reparties...

The acting is very good and the costumes and locations are great (I was born to live in the Darcy residence, I believe :) ).

The story is one that will please Objectivists. It is benevolent, and the heroin is clearly a strong willed but benevolent person. She's even called "egoist" at some point.

There are some slow moments though, but overall, I had a much better time than I expected.

I'm so glad to already see reviews of Pride and Prejudice in this forum!

I love the book and can't wait to see the film myself and rate it.

It is benevolent, and the heroin is clearly a strong willed but benevolent person.

Uhh, shouldn't there be an "e" at the end of "heroin?" Without it, this would be a very different movie... :)

Looking forward to seeing this...

My husband gave this movie to me for my birthday and I loved it! Stephen is right, Keira Knightley was perfect for the role of Elizabeth! I was impressed by everything in the film. There were a couple of parts that weren't exactly like the book, but it really worked for this film version! :)

I enjoyed this film immensely, and it makes me want to go back and read the book again! Elizabeth Bennet is a courageous, moral heroine, and I loved the choice of Keira Knightley to portray her. I agree with Joss Delage -- the repartee is wonderful.

I have not seen the BBC production with Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy, but have heard it is even better!

I heartily agree with all the recommendations for this movie; I thoroughly enjoyed it! Both stylistically and content-wise, this movie was quite breathtaking. I found both Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy to be extremely charming. I gave it an 8.

POTENTIAL SPOILERS

It is a classic story that revolves around misunderstandings that you can’t wait to see worked out - because you just know that if these misunderstandings would be resolved then a most beautiful love affair will ensue. One of my favorite scenes (and I have many!) is when Elizabeth is walking through Mr. Darcy’s house, her eyes lingering on the sculptures, and her hands touching his papers and other belongings. Such a woman belongs in such a house!

As I mentioned in another post, I think it is the best movie of 2005 and would highly recommend it.

I have bought very few movies lately, this is one worth buying and adoring for a long time to come.

*Spoiler below*

I loved how at the very end of the movie they were sitting together on the balcony of his estate looking out at the fountain in their night-clothes sitting cross-legged and facing each other. He calls her "My Dear" and she askes him not to, because she explains that is what her father would call her mother when he was angry at her.

So Darcy askes what he should call her and she says something like (paraphrasing here) 'Lizzy for everyday, My Pearl for Sundays, Godess Divine for .... (something I can't remember)."

So her askes her if she'd mind being called Mrs.Darcy and looks at him and laughs, saying he can only call her that when he is completely in love with her. What reverence! It made me so happy - that's exactly how I think women should feel about taking their husband's last names. I thought it was very sweet.

I left this movie like the wided-eyed hopeless romantic I had been at twelve. It was wonderful.

I'm posting for my wife, who saw it, and who is usually less critical of movies than me. I haven't seen it.

My wife is a major fan of the A&E/BBC production with Colin Firth. Her take on this movie was - they made the scenery/sets look ugly, and dirty, as if they were farmers. She didn't like the casting of the main characters, and she thought the movie was less romantic overall than it should have been. She reiterated a strong preference for the A&E/BBC series.

WARNING: MINOR SPOILERS TO SCENE DETAILS.

I gave this movie a six. I’d like to check out the BBC series. After being set up by the romance of other well-made movies set in the Victorian era, I was all pumped up for this to be the best ever, and it was a let-down. While I like the character development which takes place, I found all the sisters in the opening scenes to be, well, just plain ditzy. Here’s this great opening scene of Knightly taking a walk and reading a worn book, only to have all go to pieces by following it with a fifteen minute giggle session. Blah. Thankfully, it got better after about 20 minutes into the film because I don’t think I could have stood much more of Knightly’s character sticking out her tongue between her teeth. While I found the movie to be enjoyable, and Keira Knightly to be very beautiful, I don’t find that this particular movie was actually the best display of her acting talent. I like her far better in Pirates of the Carribean and am looking forward to the release of the second one.

My favorite character was actually the older blonde sister (name? I don’t even know this woman?), and I think she portrays her character wonderfully. Just delightful. Whoever she is, I hope I see more of her. The reserved and disciplined nature of her character reminds me of Emma Thompson’s character in Sense and Sensibility, a movie I found to be far superior to Pride and Prejudice. The showcasing of Emma Thompson’s talent in that movie is absolutely unparalleled. A truly incredible actress that makes the viewer actually physically feel the emotions she is acting out. I was anticipating that kind of feeling in Pride and Prejudice, and I just didn't get it.

For more comedic films set in the Victorian era, also very good, see: Emma (starring Gwyneth Paltrow), and The Importance of Being Earnest.

I thoroughly enjoyed this film, though I was a fan of the book already. I haven't seen any of the earlier film verisions of Pride and Prejudice, but I thought this one was extremely well done.

Liriodendron Tulipifera, technically speaking, Pride and Prejudice (as well as Emma and Jane Austen's other works) aren't Victorian. They take place during the Regency era

I have not seen the BBC production with Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy, but have heard it is even better!

I adore Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, its heroes, Lizzy and Darcy, and most important, the story's sense of life . . . . remarkable given the realities of Austen's own life, the time in which she lived and wrote and the general circumstances of life at that time. I have not yet seen the recent film version and, therefore, cannot comment on it. I CAN recommend highly the A&E production, however, and will say that the series was, quite simply, superlative and certainly one of the finest things I've ever seen on "the tube" or in the movie theater. Although all the actors are perfectly cast (with the exception of the actor playing Wickham), Jennifer Ehle (daughter of Rosemary Harris) and Colin Firth as Elizabeth and Darcy are marvels. DO pick up a copy if you haven't already.

I wonder what Miss Rand thought about Pride and Prejudice. I can't recall having encountered any remarks of hers on Austen.

I am a fan of the brilliant A&E production and have a copy of it. I was leery about seeing this movie because of that fact, but I'm glad I overcame my reticence, because I enjoyed this production. The writers did a surprisingly good job of compressing the story, which was a surprise.

I thought Kingley did a good job, but I wasn't all that enamored of the choice for Darcy. In my estimation, however, you'd have to go some to best Colin Firth, however, so I admit my judgment is biased. I thought Southerland was a poor choice for the father, but I enjoyed the actress who played the mother better than anyone I've seen play that part. Unlike most actresses, who tend to farce with this character, her's was a more considered performance. Although the woman was obviously shallow, this was a mother whose concerns were completely with seeing her daughters settled in a good marriage, regardless of the circumstances of their birth. She was fulfilling her motherhood in the way the times demanded.

I especially missed the development of the minor characters that the mini-series allowed.

I liked it well enough to give it an 8.

I just saw this two weekends ago and found it remarkable for its extraordinary use of lighting (which I believe Mr. Speicher has already pointed out) and the presentation of many scenes as "stills."

This created a kind of art gallery effect -- these scenes seemed painted or photographed, as opposed to filmed.

The story, in my opinion, has a stronger appeal to women, but I found it interesting. Perhaps the romantic setting in which I saw it played a part. :blink: