Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carlos

Abu Dhabi World Grappling Championships video

11 posts in this topic

I recently found on the internet a breathtakingly beautiful high-light video of the ADCC world grappling championships and I felt compelled to share it with the forum in hopes that others might discover the same profound enjoyment of sport-grappling that I have. In my experience I have never seen anything that even came remotely close to the intensity of passion, pain, joy, defeat, triumph, and heroic-struggle of sport-grappling or submission-fighting.

I think there is a reason why the Ancient-Greeks loved one-on-one sport fighting(boxing, wrestling, pankration) so much, which is why I am so continually baffled that such a noble sport continues to be so widely unpopular.

Enough of me blathering, here's the link:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6...15147658&q=adcc

Be sure to have the volume turned up, because there is music playing by John Williams from Last of the Mohicans that flows startlingly well with the fights.

If you are confused as to what the ADCC is, or sport-grappling, well, then keep reading:

Every few years a group called the Abu Dhabi Combat Club, ADCC, hosts the world submission fighting championship, where fighters of all grappling-arts (Judo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Freestyle Wrestling, Greco-Roman Wrestling, Russian Sambo, etc.) from across the globe come to compete for the prestigious title of ADCC Champion.

The tournament is broken up into weight classes, but there is also an "Open" division that fighters can enter in which there are no weight divisions.

The rules are generally: no striking (punches, kicks, etc.), no gouging or biting, no small joint manipulation (grabbing a single finger and twisting it) and no fish-hooking an opponents eyes, nose or mouth. Other than that, anything goes.

Fighters are allowed to apply arm-locks, knee-locks, ankle-locks, wrist-locks, muscle-locks, toe-holds, heel-hooks, chokes, neck-cranks, etc., to submit their opponent (the oppenent submits by "tapping-out").

Fights end by: a fighter going unconscious, a fighter tapping out, by time running out in the last round (after which the match is decided by points). A fighter earns points by a take-down (throwing their opponent to the mat) and attaining dominant positions.

Enjoy, and please give feedback :)

Thanks for posting this, Carlos.

I used to watch a lot of other mixed martial art competitions (UFC, PRIDE, King of the Cage) but I've grown disenchanted with the whole sport because it seems to be heading towards a ground striking / boxing direction. I enjoy watching two skilled ground fighters battle for control and escape from holds and locks much more than I enjoy watching a couple of strikers duke it out until one hit connects. I think that ground fighting is more a test of conditioning and skill than it is a test of raw genetic speed and strength.

Have you checked out any of these DVD's yet?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002CU2T...&v=glance&n=130

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009LHY...&v=glance&n=130

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008URS...&v=glance&n=130

After seeing that highlights video, I'm tempted to order one.

Holy cow you have no idea how pleased I am that somebody finally replied to this dusty thread :o

If you are interested in sport-fighting so much, are you interested in doing any martial arts, or are you already involved in some? If you love to watch ground grappling guys, then my strongest recommendation would be to find a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu academy, or maybe Judo, or both.

I think as more time goes by you are going to see less and less submissions; despite I'm sure what a lot of angry strikers say, MMA grants no favors to grapplers, and actually gives them many disadvantages: two virtually naked fighters covered in slippery sweat, short 5-minute rounds in UFC give the grappler little time and turns the fight into a boxing match, plus, Refs will stand the fighters up if the fight isn't looking too exciting. I think all future fighters need to be along the lines of people like Fëdor Emelianenko or Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

Actually, I got all three of those videos for Christmas ;)

Unfortunately, they weren't as exciting as I thought they would be because a lot of the people fight too conservatively (especially the muscle heads, they just grab and squeeze); that may be the end result of time limits and wins by points, maybe if they just said "fight until one man gives up" you would possibly see more interesting things rather than fighters squatting on a position to secure points.

What I really want to get is this last year's ADCC World Championship: Roger Gracie going 8-0 in a world championship tournament, against guys like Jacare, with each win coming from a submission...that's just unreal, beyond superhuman.

If you like this kind of stuff this much, I'll post another video I'd been thinking about (the idea had been dropped until your reply) of an exhibition match between Dave Camarillo and his brother.

I love martial arts as a hobby, but I haven't practiced in years. I started out long ago with American Kenpo Karate, and got a few belts into it. I was actually pretty impressed with Ed Parker's efforts to eliminate mysticism and focus on efficient, functional movements (keeping in mind that I was probably 14!).

Anyway, I was amazed to hear of the domination of the last ADCC by Roger Gracie too! I'd love to see that tournament when it comes out. Although, it means another Gracie to keep track of! :o

Have you heard that Royce Gracie is making a comeback to the UFC to fight Matt Hughes this February? I'm pretty excited -- they're two of my favorites in the sport.

Anyway, if I come across any good videos - I'll be sure to share ;)

Hi Carlos!

I've actually just gotten into Martial Arts myself a few months ago. I practice mainly Jiu-Jitsu with a little bit of Karate. So far, I have done a little bit of grappling for ground work, which is why this thread appealed to me.

Thanks for the video!

What about yourself? What rank are you in? Is Brazilian Jui-Jitsu your area of expertise?

~Carrie~

Hey! At our academy here in Lubbock we study specifically only Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, however, I'm trying to learn Judo with friends outside of the Academy and am also looking for a good kickboxing school. I've been doing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for about two and a half years now and am a blue-belt.

If you are going to pursue Jiu-Jitsu you should look into Atama's new line of Jiu-Jitsu Kimonos for women: http://www.atama-kimonos.com/WOMEN.htm

The women in our academy look quite cute sporting their new pink Atamas :ohttp://www.atama-kimonos.com/products/kimo...-1/wgw_full.jpg

Does your school offer both Jiu-Jitsu and Karate in one program or are you taking them independently? And how are you enjoying it so far?

Carlos,

Two and a half years. That's fantastic!

I love it so far! I get private lessons. My now Sensei was one one of my clients. As we started talking, I expressed my interest in it. We made a deal that he would train me once a week for 25$ a month and a haircut. :o The Jiu-Jitsu and Karate are intertwined. Primarily, it's focussing on the bio-mechanics of the body, and using leverage which is great for me since strength isn't exactly on my side.

What got you interested in kick-boxing? How often do you train? Have you ever competed in tournaments?

I actually prefer the regular Kimono's as opposed to the Atamas, but thank you for the link.

When I started, he was teaching me what he thought would benefit me most, but now, I have started on rank. I am really looking forward to that. ;)

I'm interested in kick-boxing because I want to be well-rounded. Ideally (if college is removed from the equation) I try to do BJJ 5-6 days a week. My first year I competed in one grappling tournament, second year I did three; right now it is wild-card, don't know what I'm going to do.

That is great though that you are studying both of those arts intertwined, and particularly great that one of them is Jiu-Jitsu. I really think as time goes on you will grow to greatly appreciate the tremendous power and efficiency of Jiu-Jitsu, because the essence of Jiu-Jitsu is "the gentle way", a weaker force using leverage to dominate a stronger one. Because of this, Jiu-Jitsu is the father of a rather large martial art family with influences or direct lineages that range from Judo, to Russian Sambo, to Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, to even Israeli Kapap and Krav Maga: Jiu-Jitsu has spread all over the world, and for a good reason!

So to me that is very exciting that you are studying the traditional Jiu-Jitsu, because what you are learning is the art created by the aristocratic Samurai class and those that followed them throughout the history of Feudal to Modern Japan, that would eventually branch out and cover the Earth: very exciting stuff :o

So what got you interested in martial arts in the first place? And what are your goals?

I really think as time goes on you will grow to greatly appreciate the tremendous power and efficiency of Jiu-Jitsu, because the essence of Jiu-Jitsu is "the gentle way", a weaker force using leverage to dominate a stronger one.

Yes, I do appreciate the effeciency of Jiu-Jitsu. It's great that I am able to protect myself if necessary without having to be as strong or stronger than my opponent.

So to me that is very exciting that you are studying the traditional Jiu-Jitsu, because what you are learning is the art created by the aristocratic Samurai class and those that followed them throughout the history of Feudal to Modern Japan, that would eventually branch out and cover the Earth: very exciting stuff 

I quite agree! It is very interesting!

For a good number of years now, I had been wanting to get into something (a dance, ballet, an art of some kind). The reason being is that I want to train my body with a type of discipline. I want to shape and train my body according to a set of principles. I got really interested in Martial Arts because, aside from being very disciplined both mentally and physically, it is very practical for a single female my my size. Especially travelling around on the subway and trains sometimes. I feel much safer.

My goals in Martial Arts is to eventually achieve my black belt. I want to gain good physical, mental control and efficiency at using my body in a particular way. I definitely want to improve my health, gain strength and flexibility. I just love being physically active, so this creates a challenge for me, which I also love.

I would also like to touch on the different types of Jiu-Jitsu, and figure out which one works best for me.

What got you interested in Martial Arts, and why particularily Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu?

~Carrie~

I love martial arts as a hobby, but I haven't practiced in years.  I started out long ago with American Kenpo Karate, and got a few belts into it.  I was actually pretty impressed with Ed Parker's efforts to eliminate mysticism and focus on efficient, functional movements (keeping in mind that I was probably 14!).

Anyway, I was amazed to hear of the domination of the last ADCC by Roger Gracie too!  I'd love to see that tournament when it comes out.  Although, it means another Gracie to keep track of!    :P 

Have you heard that Royce Gracie is making a comeback to the UFC to fight Matt Hughes this February?  I'm pretty excited -- they're two of my favorites in the sport.

Anyway, if I come across any good videos - I'll be sure to share  :)

Well, it sounds like it is time for you to get back into martial-arts. Like I said before, if you really like watching grapplers, you should look up a judo or BJJ academy in your area; you're missing out on a lot of fun!

I'm not really sure what is going to happen between Gracie and Hughes; with 5-minute rounds and a cage what I am afraid is going to happen is that Hughes will use his strength to shove Royce into the corner of the cage, then he will just throw punches that may never even connect but he will still get points, then after three or four rounds judges will give Hughes the win by decision. Remember that if Dan Severn and Royce had fought with short time limits per round, Severn would probably have won by decision even though he would have never really hurt Royce.

What I'm excited about though is Randy Couture v Chuck Liddell, I want Couture to win, because frankly, I really like Randy and I think Chuck is over-rated.

Who I think is an amazing fighter on the rise right now though is Mauricio "Shogun" Rua: he trains with Wanderlei Silva in the Chute Boxe academy in Brazil, and he is currently undefeated in Pride FC over guys like Rogerio Nogueira, Alistair Overeem, Ricardo Arona and Quinton Jackson. And to put things in perspective, when Quinton Jackson fought Chuck Liddell, Quinton dominated him.

Hi-light: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=51...12&q=shogun+rua

Training with Wanderlei: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7...28&q=shogun+rua

Anyway, I was amazed to hear of the domination of the last ADCC by Roger Gracie too!  I'd love to see that tournament when it comes out.  Although, it means another Gracie to keep track of!    :D 

Have you heard that Royce Gracie is making a comeback to the UFC to fight Matt Hughes this February?  I'm pretty excited -- they're two of my favorites in the sport.

Anyway, if I come across any good videos - I'll be sure to share  :D

As a delayed second reply to this, I have to say that if you want to see probably one of the best fighters to emerge in a looooonnng time, you should check out BJ Penn: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4...15685&q=bj+penn

BJ Penn was the first non-Brazilian to win the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu World Championships in Rio de Janeiro, and he did it in 4 years of training! I have no conception of how that is possible for a human being to do ;)...because a lot of those people in Brazil started training so early they virtually had a kimono on as they came out of the womb. So you have black-belts there that have been training 20+ years, that are in incredible shape, and that train at academies where there are many others just like them to butt heads with: it is a very hardcore environment! So for Penn to be the first gringo to take the Gold there, and to do it with 4 years of experience is amazing!

He's also famous for putting on weight so he could qualify to fight Matt Hughes in a higher weight class: he dominated Hughes, rear-naked-choked him, and stripped him of his belt :D

So pound for pound, BJ Penn is probably one of the most ferocious fighters on the planet.

On a side note: since Penn, there have been only two other non-Brazilians to win the World's; one of them was Alberto Crane, and he came to our BJJ academy with Vinícius Draculíno to give seminars this Tuesday and Wednesday! One day was with the gi, the other no-gi. They showed us some pretty amazing stuff! :D

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0