Sam Axton

Liquid Sculptures

7 posts in this topic

Anybody enjoy, like I do, those stop motion high speed stills such as a drop of milk splashing in a bowl, etc.

Well, this photographer has taken that to a whole new level. I thought you might find them very interesting if not beautiful as I find them. He calls it liquid sculpture. They remind me of free form glass nick-nacks.

Using various drips, drops and squirts of different liquids in various viscosities and colors on many backgrounds and colors he creates beautiful images. This is not as random as it may seem. He has taken some 20,000 digital images controlling background and light learning each time what size, shape or weight of liquid does what. He also places drops of various liquids on Cd’s and the like creating beautiful images such as the “Jade Necklace”. His "drop of Earth" is simply a water droplet reflecting a world map behind it. Some of the titles he gives his images are also very clever.

Read his (artist?)statement to see the effort he uses.

This is his site; http://www.liquidsculpture.com/index.htm

Below are some of my favorites. Still haven't learned to post pics.

"Catchers Mitt"

"Big Wet Red One"

"Coffee Table"

"Jade Necklace"

that was milkCream/OldGlory

Harold Edgerton is famed for these;

http://www.spfld-museum-of-art.org/exhibit/edgerton.html

I find these fascinating but not like art; I don't desire long contemplation... but one look is nice, and I hadn't seen the#3 edgerton one, which is so cheerful [girl swinging];

1.Harold Edgerton card trick

kp4876.jpg

2.Harold Edgerton milk drop

edgerton-.jpg

3.Harold Edgerton girl on swing

kp4845.jpg

p.s. to make the images, just enclose the url with open/close img tags; reply will show the phpbbcode. It turns out to be crucial not to put any carriage returns!!! [clicking "bb code help" when you're adding a post for info told me about img but not about the CR's...]

milkCream/oldGloryBowl was too small for me, so here's the nice img [instead of an attachment]

content71231.jpg

wow, it's big! I guess we can't size them...

Anyway :)

I find these fascinating but not like art; I don't desire long contemplation... but one look is nice, and I hadn't seen the#3 edgerton one, which is so cheerful [girl swinging];

No, not like art at all except maybe decorative art. I probably chose the wrong catagory. If there isn't one maybe a catagory on beautiful things would be an attraction for posts.

And a "Big Wet One Red" for the posting tips. :)

content52705.jpg

This is amazing - thanks for sharing.

Hi Joss,

I just read the bubble story. Very good, thanks.