SCS

Is Architecture Art?

27 posts in this topic

The first reference to architecture, on page 46, doesn't say that architecture is art, it says that architecture "combines art with a utilitarian purpose"

Joe, what do you say in answer to what I wrote in Post #16? I will reproduce it below:

It's really not a disputable point that Miss Rand regarded architecture as art.  On page 46 of The Romantic Manifesto, she wrote, at the end of a paragraph, "...consider the nature of the major branches of art, and of the specific media they employ."  In the next paragraph, she lists these major branches, which include: Literature, Painting, Sculpture, Music, and Architecture (and, in parenthesis, the performing arts).  Then at the start of the very next paragraph, she says, "Now observe the relation of these arts to man's cognitive faculty..." (p. 47).  She is clearly regarding architecture as art on a par with painting, and on a different par from other utilitarian creations.

In this context, how can it be disputable that Miss Rand regarded architecture to be art, regardless of how else she described it and however special a case it may be?

In this context, how can it be disputable that Miss Rand regarded architecture to be art, regardless of how else she described it and however special a case it may be?

I assume that in that quote she's referring to those aspects for which architecture can be regarded as art (architecture being a hybrid of art and other things).