Sam Axton

The Wally

12 posts in this topic

This is the 118 Wallypower. I first saw it a couple of years ago when it was shared on another website. If this image, which contrasts the beauty of nature v the man-made, intrigues you the website will fascinate you and the R&D will awe you.

The design of this yacht is such that it looks like a small speed boat but it is an impressive 118' stem to stern, 30' wide, 95 ton, 16,500 HP super yacht. The pride displayed in the websiteis well deserved and you must watch the video and look at the other images of the exterior and interior.

http://www.wally.com/jumpCh.asp

img_118WP_center_0006.jpg

This is the 118 Wallypower.  I first saw it a couple of years ago when it was shared on another website.  If this image, which contrasts the beauty of nature v the man-made, intrigues you the website will fascinate you and the R&D will awe you. 

The design of this yacht is such that it looks like a small speed boat but it is an impressive 118' stem to stern, 30' wide, 95 ton, 16,500 HP super yacht.

I get 16,800 HP (3 x 5600), and that does not seem to include auxiliary. I wouldn't want to short the 118 Wally 300 HP. :)

This is one sleek design, and a high performance yacht to boot. I love the powered openings and extensions. The interior is also gorgeous and loaded with first-rate equipment. What a beauty! Thanks for posting on this, Sam.

p.s. I think the 118 Wally video could benefit from a better score.

I get 16,800 HP (3 x 5600), and that does not seem to include auxiliary. I wouldn't want to short the 118 Wally 300 HP.  :) 

This is one sleek design, and a high performance yacht to boot. I love the powered openings and extensions. The interior is also gorgeous and loaded with first-rate equipment. What a beauty! Thanks for posting on this, Sam.

p.s. I think the 118 Wally video could benefit from a better score.

There's always a math critic. :)

Except for that one aria I agree.

Awesome piece, but I can't vouch for the design. It looks inspired by the angular lines of the F-117 bomber, one of the ugliest plane ever made IMHO.

Does it strike anyone that the showers are much below the standards of the rest of the yacht? They're very utilitarian, and don't look exceptional in any way. There are a lot of variations on luxury showers, and those are much less luxurious than the rest of the ship...

I like their sail yachts better.

Awesome piece, but I can't vouch for the design.  It looks inspired by the angular lines of the F-117 bomber, one of the ugliest plane ever made IMHO.

I don't know that I agree the F-117 is ugly. The design is the way it is so that it is virtually undetectable via radar. Hard to believe those wing surfaces make flight possible. It's a brilliant piece of technology.

I like their sail yachts better.

It's impressive to me. I thought the video could have used descriptive narration to get a better feel for what it has and can do.

Still, RealityCheck44's link on luxury subs was really fascinating. Imagine taking a cruise beneath the ocean's surface. That would be an experience.

I've been looking at these since you posted the link, but I'm bored now, so I figured I post. :)

My favorite is the sail-yacht called Indio. It's absolutely amazing. I'd love to get one someday. I've always wanted a sailboat. Though, it's been more of a thought that a sailboat would be one of the expensive toys I'd love to purchase when I grow up. This looks like a great company. Thanks for the link.

Thales- thank you. Hopefully I'll have your business someday! :)

Zak

Wally is having a Christmas sale right now...

Hello Mates,

Wally is an incredible company.

They've had enormous impact on high-end yachts -- sailing vessels in particular. These days, many of the features Wally pioneered have started to filter down to more affordable designs.

The 118 is a triple gas-turbine powered vessel. She needs an engineering staff to monitor the powerplant to avoid a meltdown.

This boat was on display in San Fransisco's Musuem of Modern "Art" recently, and was used in a recent scifi movie. (I forget the name of the film.)

Renowned venture capitalist Thomas Perkins is a known sailing nut. (Perkins has help launch concerns like Amazon, America Online, Brio Technology, Compaq, Electronic Arts, Flextronics, Genentech, Google, Hybritech, Intuit, Lotus Development, LSI Logic, Macromedia, Netscape, Quantum, Segway, Sun Microsystems, Tandem. (List from Wikipedia.))

He's about to take delivery of a vessel called "Maltese Falcon," whose rig is nothing short of a much needed revolution in megasailboats. (95% of all megasailboats are little more than motoryachts whose owner had enough in the way of good taste to disguise his abomination as a sailing vessel. (This is a critique of motoryacht aesthetics and culture -- not a dogmatic glorification of sail.))

http://www.doylesuperyacht.com/news2.htm

What's more, this amazing vessel isn't a Mediterranean or Caribbean princess -- she'll easily sail just about anywhere, handling conditions that would paralyze most eye-catching vessels over 100ft.

Other recently launched mammoth sailing vessels I find interesting (3):

1)

http://mirabellayachts.com/mirabella5/

This is the tallest single-masted vessel ever launched. If she were ever to come to NYMetro, the tip of her mast would hover ~ 80ft OVER the Verranzano Bridge roadway!!

The owner, Joe Vittoria, is the man who brought Avis Car Rentals to the top of that industry. (How? Technology, of course... ;) )

This wasn't a Freudian thing for this great man. As he has said any number of times since this project was announced, he could've shattered all sorts of records for far less money, effort and risk.

The way the Marine Press went on and on about this project, you'd think that a sailing vessel's dimensions have zero impact on her performance. How EZ...

Anyway, this thing sails!!, and not just on a reach. She'll go upwind like a lite Hinckley.

2)

Take a look at Jim Clark's Athena, easily the most expensive megasailboat launched to date (~$50 million) (Clark is another great Silicon Valley mind. I'm not sure what role he played in the Netscape mess.):

http://www.royalhuisman.com/index1.htm

Not a pretty boat. Not an incredible sailing vessel either, though her sail-handling system would probably confuse LA CTU's Chloe (Imagine her tude if she were ever stumped...)

I love her because she's so well fitted. This vessel is the pinnacle of tasteful opulence.

Take a close look at that woodwork, ladies and gentlemen. When you've recovered from the level of craftsmanship (high even by this most respected yard's standards), realize that this Brazilian mahogany is no longer available for export. What little is left must be crafted in Brazil -- by law.

(It's easy to assume that I'm lost in archaic yacht esthetics. All I can say is that I just don't find much balance or warmth in most modern yacht interiors. I see no reason to fuse form and function in a sterile way.)

3)

Last, I offer a link to Bill Tripp's site, one of the most "like nothing else" minds in the field. The site is a mess, but if you can find the schematic for the 158 footer he designed for Wally, you'll see what speed looks like. (I provide a link to the 158 bellow, but it doesn't always work.):

http://www.trippdesign.net/

Tripp 158' (If you get there, click on "Sailplan and Arrangement." Make sure you're sitting...):

http://www.trippdesign.net/content/galleries/137Gallery.htm

Tripp's collaboration with Wally is a recent development. Theses two concerns should be coming up with any number of tradition-shattering designs in the near future.

Happy sailing, Gang. (Please let me know if posts this size aren't cool, either by post or PM.)

Regards,

JohnRGT (Don't get me started on Ruf's RGT or what a thorn this great man has been in complacent Porsche's side... :))

This boat was on display in San Fransisco's Musuem of Modern "Art" recently, and was used in a recent scifi movie.  (I forget the name of the film.)

The movie was called The Island. I agree, it is a beautiful boat.

The movie was called The Island.  I agree, it is a beautiful boat.

The Wally 118's esthetic freshness is reason enough to love her, but Wally have achieve so much more with this design.

1)

The weight reduction for a vessel so well-fitted is unprecedented.

2)

The triple turbine powerplant not only enables this vessel to cruise at ~80 knots, but is so quiet that one can actually carry-out a conversation at those speeds. (This is the highest top speed figure I've read for the 118. I've often read that she's never gone past 70 knots, missing her projected max by a significant %.)

3)

Near zero vibration at speed.

4)

Remarkably stable, with an E'S motion when she comes across waves at these high speeds. (That foredeck can be enjoyed underway!)

The innovations needed to make all this possible must number in the hundreds.

Once again, this Luca Bassani concern has brought about a new, almost unforseeable standard to the marine industry -- and it all started when Bassani decided to take a closer look at the inner workings of the industry behind one of his favorite pastimes.

Regards,

JohnRGT

Very nice!

It looks like taken right out of a James Bond movie. Q would surely have loved this one.

Thanks for posting this.