Guest KatieBrakora

Objectivist Club of Berkeley

9 posts in this topic

The Objectivist Club of (The University of California) Berkeley will hold its final meeting of the semester Wednesday, Dec 7, 6pm. The first meeting of 2006 will be Wednesday, Jan. 25, 6pm.

The club is primarily designed as a forum for learning about Objectivism. This semester we read Leonard Peikoff's "Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand," and this week we'll be discussing the chapter on art. All people interested in Ms. Rand's philosophy, no matter your level of familiarity with the philosophy per se, are welcome to come, listen, and/or participate as desired. The meetings are informal, and we always tangent onto personal experiences, opinion, current events, whatever. Club members include undergraduates, graduates, and non-students from the community at large.

The spring semester agenda includes working to bring an ARI speaker to campus before the end of the year, in addition to our weekly meetings. Please bring your ideas, interests, and goals for learning about Objectivism!

We meet in front of the Free Speech Movement Cafe at the Moffit Undergraduate Library on the UC Berkeley campus and move to a nearby weather-appropriate location after that.

Any questions, please contact Katie at kbrakora@berkeley.edu. Hope to see you there!

Man, everybody's club is getting up and running before mine. It's the last week of the semester, and my school is just now getting around to processing my paperwork!

At any rate, Katie, stick around here a while. A few of our OAC classmates participate here. It's always nice to have more!

And HaloNoble6, why have you been holding out on me with this website stuff?!?! Did you not know I was President of the SFSU club (or will be whenever the damn paperwork gets finished)?

I did not know it.  Would you like to have a website as well?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, duh. :) PM me or e-mail me or something with the info.

Hey Dave,

So, I'm friends with Jenna and she was telling me about your club starting. Awesome. It's been harder to find Berkeley students for my club than I'd imagined - a good half of the club is now non-students from the bay area.

Anyway, we're working on drumming up membership, organizing an ARI speaker event, and one of the club members is making us a website (thanks for the offer HaloNoble6!). I'll post more info here as the semester wears on. Any interest in occasionally doing joint club things?

Katie

Man, everybody's club is getting up and running before mine. It's the last week of the semester, and my school is just now getting around to processing my paperwork!

At any rate, Katie, stick around here a while. A few of our OAC classmates participate here. It's always nice to have more!

And HaloNoble6, why have you been holding out on me with this website stuff?!?! Did you not know I was President of the SFSU club (or will be whenever the damn paperwork gets finished)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*Meeting Update*

Our first meeting of the spring semester will be Wednesday, Jan. 25th, at 6pm, Free Speech Movement Cafe at the Moffitt Undergraduate Library, on the UCB campus. Email me ahead of time so we can meet up ahead of time, and incase we move the meeting because of weather, etc.

We'll be discussing the first chapter of Rand's "Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology," plus going over club recruitment ideas, website ideas, and planning for the speaker event. Feel free to come by and hang out even if you won't be doing the readings.

We're also planning weekend movie get-togethers at different people's houses, where we debated the various objective merits (and demerits) of our favorite films, then watch them. Other fun stuff in the works, including at least one "field trip" to Quent Cordair Fine Art.

Please contact me at kbrakora-at-berkeley-dot-edu if you'd like to come, students and non-students alike. Hope to see you there!

Katie

The Objectivist Club of (The University of California) Berkeley will hold its final meeting of the semester Wednesday, Dec 7, 6pm. The first meeting of 2006 will be Wednesday, Jan. 25, 6pm.

The club is primarily designed as a forum for learning about Objectivism. This semester we read Leonard Peikoff's "Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand," and this week we'll be discussing the chapter on art. All people interested in Ms. Rand's philosophy, no matter your level of familiarity with the philosophy per se, are welcome to come, listen, and/or participate as desired. The meetings are informal, and we always tangent onto personal experiences, opinion, current events, whatever. Club members include undergraduates, graduates, and non-students from the community at large.

The spring semester agenda includes working to bring an ARI speaker to campus before the end of the year, in addition to our weekly meetings. Please bring your ideas, interests, and goals for learning about Objectivism!

We meet in front of the Free Speech Movement Cafe at the Moffit Undergraduate Library on the UC Berkeley campus and move to a nearby weather-appropriate location after that.

Any questions, please contact Katie at kbrakora@berkeley.edu. Hope to see you there!

a good half of the club is now non-students from the bay area.

hi Katie!

it's great to have adults in your club! They have many advantages such as:

.often money to donate or spend

.continuity, to help through transitions year to year etc

.ideas

Go UCB!! The Bay Area has some great people too...

Well, duh.  :o  PM me or e-mail me or something with the info.

Dave, your posts always are so fun to read! I hope you get a great website. NYU has an interesting one, btw. They put up a form to make it easy to register guests for their events. If security is an issue for you you may want to copy that.

SFSU is I'll bet a great place to be!