darren

Objectivist class

5 posts in this topic

A friend of mine and I are considering starting an Introduction to Objectivism class for people in Kansas City. The University of Kansas City hosts an organization called the "Communiversity," which allows individuals in the community to teach 1-2 session classes on any subject one may claim proficiency. As you can imagine, this has opened the door to classes on water healing, reincarnation, etc. But there seem to be some classes with some legitimate value.

I think this could be a good opportunity to introduce people to Objectivism. We don't need the class to be too in-depth, it would just be an introduction. I think that we could even show a video like the Introduction to Objectivism video on aynrand.org, or Onkar Ghate's Ayn Rand's Ideas video, and then open up for discussion and questions. This is just a way to get the word out.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I think it's always a great idea to spread the word, and congratulations on showing this sort of initiative!

Unless you are an expert in Objectivism, i.e. have completed both OAC's undergraduate and graduate programs, I would caution you against trying to present course material yourself. If you do not have expertise, I think showing videos is a great way to make sure you get the best, most accurate message across.

Unless you are an expert in Objectivism, i.e. have completed both OAC's undergraduate and graduate programs, I would caution you against trying to present course material yourself. If you do not have expertise, I think showing videos is a great way to make sure you get the best, most accurate message across.

Another possibility is to use the Communiversity as a venue for an OPAR Study Group.

Thanks for the input! I wouldn't consider myself an expert in Objectivism by any means, but I think my friend and I could cover basic questions people may have after watching the video. Since the class will likely be just one session, the class will mainly be an excuse to show otherst he video. And if it works out, it will be something we can easily repeat in future semesters.

Darren,

My advice would be an "Introduction to the Fiction of Ayn Rand". I think that more people would find fiction interesting as opposed to technical philosophy. You could use that as an excuse to discuss the basics of each of her works. You can talk about your experiences reading the novels, key moments that have burned themselves into your memory, etc.

This could serve as a springboard for other people. For example, you could suggest "Anthem" to start with...and a week later, meet up with anyone interested in discussing it! You also wouldn't have to worry about being an expert in Objectivism. You are just an enthusiast of her literature, sharing your experience :).

I hope that everything goes well for you and your friend!