Stephen Speicher

Betsy, me, and THE FORUM

43 posts in this topic

I look forward to your return to The Forum, Betsy, your spirit is remarkable. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much for all the kind thoughts.

It looks like I will make a full recovery, but I will be doing things differently for a while. I'm learning to get around in the wheelchair Stephen got for me and to negotiate a lot of things with his help. I can get to my desk, to my computer, and to the internet so I can stay in touch with the world of people I value.

Yesterday Stephen wheeled me into the dentist singing "All I want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth." Two hours later, thanks to modern technology, my chipped teeth were completely repaired and they looked as good as new. In another two weeks the boo-boos on my face will be healed up and I'll look just like my picture again.

We saw the orthopedist today and I now have a fiberglas cast (in my choice of 12 designer colors) on my lower left leg and a foam rubber, elastic, and fiberglas "walking cast" on my right leg. The latter is black on the outside and blue on the inside -- what appropriate colors!

The bad news is that it may take 4-5 months for my legs to heal and I won't be fully mobile until then. The good news is I will take advantage of the situation by spending more time with Stephen, writing some essays, catching up on my reading, getting back some of that State Disability Insurance I have been forced to pay for half a century, and other such things that I couldn't do when I was "normal."

Fortunately, my situation is temporary and everything is under control. Thanks again for all the well wishes and I'm sooooo glad to be back on THE FORUM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Betsy, it is so great to hear you in such high spirits despite what's happened.

I quite selfishly await reading these essays you plan on writing! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blasted injury that bars my way!

Blast away so I can work all day.

"Patience, dear, you'll strut again;

To the ballroom we'll dance again."

Healthy human, heal my block;

Listen to my ruthless talk.

I will triumph, I will triumph!

Watch me triumph, watch me triumph!

Jose Gainza.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, modern dentistry is a wonder! I suppose they used acid etching to add successive layers of some replacement material? I had the same, and no one's ever noticed the difference! Get well soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to hear that you are feeling better, Betsy. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just noticed this thread, my best wishes to you Betsy!! Hope you get well just as planned, and fully enjoy the intermediate time to catch up on everything you've wanted to do! :-D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Betsy,

It's nice to know that both you and your smile are back so quickly, which just had to be -- given your optimistic nature, and some great dental technology. I hope you'll be walking again before you know it.

In the mean time, here's hoping that you'll enjoy your reading, writing, and being with Stephen.

Best wishes for your recovery, and Merry Christmas too. You just can't lose with all that sunshine and two jolly Santas around the house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear about the accident. Get well soon, Betsy! This was very clever and I agree with it completely:

You'll know Objectivism is winning when Betsy comes back to The Forum!!

And she's back! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Betsy,

...So sorry to hear about your fall. Best wishes and get well soon!

Glenn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yesterday Stephen wheeled me into the dentist singing "All I want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth."  Two hours later, thanks to modern technology, my chipped teeth were completely repaired and they looked as good as new. 

LOL!!! That's beautiful.

I just read about another bursting-into-song moment, for your reading and recovering amusement; Susan Stroman, director of The Producers, rushed home one night. She had heard that Mel Brooks wanted to talk to her about directing. She opened the door, and was greeted by a song:

http://www.udel.edu/PR/UDaily/2006/oct/Q&A103105.html

“he launched into ‘That Face’ a song from the second act of The Producers. Then, he danced past me around the room and ended up on the sofa. When he finished the song, he said, ‘Hello, I’m Mel Brooks.’”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I read in the "Holiday wishes..." thread I posted last night something about you having to have your front teeth fixed, I went hunting to see why. And here I am.

Let me add my belated best wishes for a speedy recovery. You already have the best medicine; a good attitude is 80% of any recovery and you certainly have that.

I'd challenge you to a wheelchair race, but I have more experience and wouldn't take advantage. :D May you never get good at maneuvering the thing!

I'll add "Healthy" to my new years wishes, so:

May you have a Happy, Healthy, and Prosperous New Year!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'd challenge you to a wheelchair race, but I have more experience and wouldn't take advantage.  :D  May you never get good at maneuvering the thing!

I'm pretty darn good right now, but the doctor tells me I might be able to get around without the chair in another month. Not a minute too soon. I was just offered a Project Management contract with a major health insurance company to start in early January. They know I'm in a wheelchair and they don't mind, but I mind.

I'll add "Healthy" to my new years wishes, so:

May you have a Happy, Healthy, and Prosperous New Year!

Thanks and same to you, Janet. You already have a headstart over me in the "a good attitude is 80% of any recovery" department, so here's wishing you the other 20% too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm pretty darn good right now, but the doctor tells me I might be able to get around without the chair in another month.  Not a minute too soon.  I was just offered a Project Management contract with a major health insurance company to start in early January.  They know I'm in a wheelchair and they don't mind, but I mind.

Well, so much for cutting back on things for a while. :D Congrats on the new contract.

Actually, after rereading my sentence about not getting good at maneuvering the wheelchair, I see that my intent doesn't exactly shine through. You do realize that I meant that I hope you aren't in the darn thing long enought to learn, right?

Thanks and same to you, Janet.  You already have a headstart over me in the "a good attitude is 80% of any recovery" department, so here's wishing you the other 20% too.

Thanks. It's been a bit harder staying on an even keel than I had hoped; previous repairs seem to have taken a harder hit than I first thought, but I'm keeping a steady course. Now if I could just get rid of this nautical metaphor thing....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Betsy,

Although I have not been active in the Forum lately, I stop by regularly to keep track of the goings-on and for a sometimes much needed dose of rationality and benevolence.

I was dismayed on a recent visit to read of your serious accident. I want to join your many other friends here at the Forum in wishing you a speedy and complete recovery.

Your indomitable spirit is truly inspirational!

Best regards for wonderful 2006.

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites