markschersch

Intro to Mark

4 posts in this topic

Hi, my name is Mark. In highschool I was being taught about altruism in my psychology class and realized that it was garbage, and that the only way to live was to take care of yourself. Then, my sophomore year of college, my uncle suggested I read Atlas Shrugged. There were at least 4 months following my first time reading it where I read the speech at least once a week. I have since joined the Objectivist Club here at Purdue, and next year will be forming an 'Objectivist House' with some other Objectivists. I still have some trouble integrating all of the ideas into my own life, but I continually make progress, so I'm sure I'll get there.

Hi, my name is Mark.  In highschool I was being taught about altruism in my psychology class and realized that it was garbage, and that the only way to live was to take care of yourself.  Then, my sophomore year of college, my uncle suggested I read Atlas Shrugged.  There were at least 4 months following my first time reading it where I read the speech at least once a week.  I have since joined the Objectivist Club here at Purdue, and next year will be forming an 'Objectivist House' with some other Objectivists.  I still have some trouble integrating all of the ideas into my own life, but I continually make progress, so I'm sure I'll get there.

Integration is a long-term process that requires continued understanding and practice. Sounds to me like you are doing just fine, Mark!

Welcome to THE FORUM.

p.s. Your uncle deserves a big thanks. :angry:

I still have some trouble integrating all of the ideas into my own life, but I continually make progress, so I'm sure I'll get there.

Good! That means you're thinking your way through it and not taking Objectivism on faith.

I was the same way too -- a real "hard sell." I identified with and accepted the ethics immediately, but other parts -- notably the politics -- had me exploring and thinking for many years. I had very little knowledge and few opinions in several areas, like epistemology, so I had a lot of learning to do before I knew enough to agree or disagree with Ayn Rand.

One thing available that wasn't when I was in your place is Dr. Peikoff's wonderful "Understanding Objectivism" lectures. They are a bit pricey from AynRandBookstore.com, but ARI often makes them available to campus clubs. Those lectures can take YEARS off the process of integrating the philosophy and making it your own.

Welcome to THE FORUM Mark.

Welcome to the froum, Mark.

I was actually an easy sell... maybe a little too easy. It took me a couple of years before I actually started to live the philosophy and not just know it. It was actually about a year ago when Adam Mossoff helped me to see my errors while I was speaking with him after his lecture at the University of Illinois last spring on property rights.

I have to thank Mr. Mossoff for the initial spark and the Speichers for their ideas that I have learned on the two forums. I'll never be able to repay you two for the abundance of knowledge that has helped me to integrate the philosophy into myself. :o