piz

Standing Invitation

15 posts in this topic

This is a standing invitation to any members of THE FORUM who may find themselves traveling to Philadelphia or eastern Pennsylvania. I live in Allentown, which is about 90 minutes (closer to 60 if I drive :angry:) northwest of Philly. If it's possible to arrange, I'd be happy to meet with you for lunch, dinner, sightseeing, or something. It's always great to get together with like-minded people!

[Aside to Betsy Speicher - Stephen mentioned in another post that you like Philly cheesesteaks. Well, like people who live in New York City and have never been to the Statue of Liberty, I've never had one in Philly itself. So if you're ever in the area it would give me an excuse! :o]

[Aside to Betsy Speicher - Stephen mentioned in another post that you like Philly cheesesteaks. Well, like people who live in New York City and have never been to the Statue of Liberty, I've never had one in Philly itself. So if you're ever in the area it would give me an excuse! :angry:]

You poor, deprived man!

Please don't wait for me to have a cheesesteak. I'm not planning to be in Philly until the Overbrook High School Class of '61 50th Reunion.

Philly has been getting so much attention lately :angry:

Getting a cheesesteak in Philly is an end in itself... however if you need multiple incentives: there is the Dali exhibit, which ABB brought to my attention, at the art museum:

And perchance guest lectures for the DrexelObjectivists! I have to say this is tentative in the near future, but most definite long term. If anything is scheduled, with Stephen’s permission, I’ll post an invitation to the event on THE FORUM.

If you time it right you might be able to hit all three in one day!

This is a standing invitation to any members of THE FORUM who may find themselves traveling to Philadelphia or eastern Pennsylvania. I live in Allentown, which is about 90 minutes (closer to 60 if I drive :o) northwest of Philly. If it's possible to arrange, I'd be happy to meet with you for lunch, dinner, sightseeing, or something. It's always great to get together with like-minded people!

[Aside to Betsy Speicher - Stephen mentioned in another post that you like Philly cheesesteaks. Well, like people who live in New York City and have never been to the Statue of Liberty, I've never had one in Philly itself. So if you're ever in the area it would give me an excuse! :D]

I live in New York and am coming to Philly for a concert next Friday. If you have any suggestions for places to go and things to do, it would be very much appreciated. If you'd like to meet, I wouldn't mind either, I'd with with an old friend from camp. I'm 17 and hopefully will be driving there, depending on whether my parents deem I am capable of making a long highway trip.

and hopefully will be driving there

If you don't drive check out the Chinatown Bus, it is only $20 for a round trip. A car is a mixed blessing in Philly.

Once your in Philly you have the Art Museum, Franklin Institute (my favorite), and the Natural History Museum. If it is a nice day take a walk along to Schuylkill River (starting at the art museum) or around Independence Hall. There is shopping and good Cheesesteaks down on South Street, Chinatown is fun too.

Also, there are some good colleges in Philly that you could check out if you’re interested. Unfortunately the majority of Drexel’s Objectivist club is on Co-op, so we won’t start having meetings until April. I’m still in sunny California, so I’m defiantly out! :D

Have fun in Philly :o

Once your in Philly you have the Art Museum, Franklin Institute (my favorite), and the Natural History Museum.  If it is a nice day take a walk along to Schuylkill River (starting at the art museum) or around Independence Hall.  There is shopping and good Cheesesteaks down on South Street, Chinatown is fun too.

That certainly brings back happy memories!

The Franklin Institute is a fantastic place -- a playground of science. I used to hang out there and I even worked there part time for a while as a teenager demo-ing the Van de Graf generator and shepherding school and camp tour groups through the museum.

I used to ride my bike from my house in Wynnefield, through Fairmount Park, along the Schuylkill River, into downtown. What a lovely trip on foot or on a bike.

I also worked as a "clothes horse" (an in-house runway model) on South Street when it was the grimy wholesale Garment District filled with clothing factories and not anything like the trendy area of shops and restaurants it is now. The South Street I knew forty years ago is gone.

The cheesesteaks haven't changed though, and there's nothing like them anywhere else. Enjoy!

I used to ride my bike from my house in Wynnefield, through Fairmount Park, along the Schuylkill River, into downtown.  What a lovely trip on foot or on a bike.

There is defiantly no substitute for a bicycle in Philly... If I remember correctly the best places to get ice cream and milk shakes in Fairmount Part where Valley Green and Bruno’s. :o

Hello Piz,

I live in Philly. I curently attend Temple University and am always willing to meet and speak with like minded people. Unfortunately, unlike my private school colleagues to the west (namely Penn and Drexel), Temple does not have an Objectivist club.

Which leads me to my question for GoodOrigamiMan:

Are the Drexel Oist clubs open to all? Will you all let me come? I'd love to come and listen. (By the way, it snowed about a foot and a half here a couple of weeks ago, and another few inches over the weekend....enjoy california).

I made a mistake in not going to Drexel. I was accepted into the History-politics Co-op and decided against it (and for Temple!). If only I'd known about all the Objectivists!! :o

And Betsy: Whenever you're in town for your reunion, however far off that may be (I'll be in Philly for a WHILE) let us know...we'll all go out for cheesesteaks!!!

Hi Megan,

You will be more than welcome to attend our meetings. Our club is still small (err... elite :o ) which means we get to do whatever we want, so you won’t have to just “listen.”

Hopefully we’ll inspire you to start a club at Temple, then we have official “Club Gatherings.” :D

P.S. it has been raining here for the last week... If I had a choice, I’d take the snow! :D

GoodOrigomiMan,

Thank you for the welcome.

I have thought about starting an Objectivist club here at Temple. Unfortunately, I don't know that there's much interest here. The only person I know who would be slightly interested is a kid on my debate team who refuses to grant himself the big "O" title. This, howver, is to be expected at a school developing an "Office of Multi-Cultural Affairs".

The rampant bad philosophy nearly drives me to insanity.

Sometimes I feel like vanadlizing the subjectivist poters sprinkled about the campus. (I'd never do a thing like that :o ). Once a campus club had posted a sign shouting: "Doubt is a Weapon". I had to restain myself from penciling in:"...of mass destuction".

What's a girl to do...

I have thought about starting an Objectivist club here at Temple. Unfortunately, I don't know that there's much interest here. The only person I know who would be slightly interested is a kid on my debate team who refuses to grant himself the big "O" title. This, howver, is to be expected at a school developing an "Office of Multi-Cultural Affairs".

Megan, unfortunately multi-culturalism in one form or another is standard fare on most campuses today, and I doubt you can do much about that during your limited stay. However, your pessimism in regard to interest in a campus Objectivist club might have a chance of being lessened. Temple reports having some 34,000 students, and the only fair way to judge interest in the club is to give it a try. I would encourage you to do so. You might be pleasantly surprised. ARI provides some assistance in regard to setting up campus clubs. You can start with the info right here.

Thank you for the encouragement Stephen.

The problem of multi-culturalism here at Temple is one that saturates the university to it's very core. The Princeton Review praises Temple, not for its liberal arts program, or new policy of developing the history department exclusively by hiring as many well-qualified professors as possible, but for its devotion to diversity.

Now that I've let off that steam.

I believe, however, that you may be correct about the student body, Stephen. I was at a debate tournament this weekend, and upon being asked my major by the afore mentioned little"o" objectivist team member, I responded: "History, but I'll soon add a double in Philosophy." He replied "Just like Ayn Rand." Suddenly, another of my team members whirled around and said "I LOVE Ayn Rand!" We proceeded to discuss Atlas Shrugged.

I admit that I thought very seriously about starting a club last semester, and became discouraged. With this new encouragement, however, I will give it more thought.

Starting a campus club seems to me to be a very large undertaking. Has anyone here ever actually STARTED a club, and if so do you have any advice?

Michael,

I just wanted to say here how much I love your sense of humor and would really like to meet you some day. I was delighted with your "red-haired" entities post, and got a huge laugh from the "Descartes and the bartender" joke. I had never heard that. I laughed out loud when I read it, and then both my husband and I had a good laugh over it when I read it to him later over the telephone.

Also, it seems that we both discovered Objectivism at age 37, you in 1998, me in 1999.

I just wanted to say here how much I love your sense of humor and would really like to meet you some day. I was delighted with your "red-haired" entities post, and got a huge laugh from the "Descartes and the bartender" joke. I had never heard that. I laughed out loud when I read it, and then both my husband and I had a good laugh over it when I read it to him later over the telephone.

Also, it seems that we both discovered Objectivism at age 37, you in 1998, me in 1999.

Wow! Thanks so much! I've enjoyed your posts, too. I hope we do get the chance to meet some time.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone on THE FORUM for being so nice to me. I've never had a chance before to "meet" and talk with other Objectivists on such a large scale, and it's been wonderful.