Nicolaus Nemeth

Campus Ad Campaign

16 posts in this topic

A little background...

I'm the president of the club here at Purdue University, and our spring semester callout is coming up. Well, the major way to advertise here at Purdue is to post flyers all over the campus. I had finalized this semester's flyer with my secretary and was a little disappointed. It just seemed like the same old boring flyer that usually leads to a few non-returning people showing up for the first meeting (though, those that have stayed are my closest friends :o ).

Well, I'm reading an article in The Undercurrent about how many campus clubs (not O'ist clubs) advertise themselves as "If you join our club we'll give you an identity" instead of the rational reason of "join our club because it matches your identity." I started pondering this, in particular, what that meant for how I should advertise my club. That's when it occurred to me that I should have a "Don't join our club..." ad campaign!

This campaign made sense to me for many reasons, but the most important one is that is establishes at the outset that potential members of the club should not join for an identity, but because of their identity.

The flyers...

I want to make an assortment of flyers. I want one flyer for each of the branches of the philosophy. I sat down to make some flyers and had a great start. I quickly made one for Metaphysics. Then I hit a roadblock.

It seems that I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas for the other flyers. That's why I'm asking for your input on the others. I'm looking for simple concrete examples of mistakes that people make all the time in the different branches.

An example: First Flyer This is the first one I made for metaphysics. It uses prayer as a simple concrete example of a mistake that many people make and then asks for potential members to be the opposite.

I'm currently still looking for ideas on every branch except metaphysics. Thank you in advance for any help.

A little background...

I'm the president of the club here at Purdue University, and our spring semester callout is coming up. Well, the major way to advertise here at Purdue is to post flyers all over the campus. I had finalized this semester's flyer with my secretary and was a little disappointed. It just seemed like the same old boring flyer that usually leads to a few non-returning people showing up for the first meeting (though, those that have stayed are my closest friends  :o ).

Well, I'm reading an article in The Undercurrent about how many campus clubs (not O'ist clubs) advertise themselves as "If you join our club we'll give you an identity" instead of the rational reason of "join our club because it matches your identity." I started pondering this, in particular, what that meant for how I should advertise my club. That's when it occurred to me that I should have a "Don't join our club..." ad campaign!

This campaign made sense to me for many reasons, but the most important one is that is establishes at the outset that potential members of the club should not join for an identity, but because of their identity.

The flyers...

I want to make an assortment of flyers. I want one flyer for each of the branches of the philosophy. I sat down to make some flyers and had a great start. I quickly made one for Metaphysics. Then I hit a roadblock.

It seems that I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas for the other flyers. That's why I'm asking for your input on the others. I'm looking for simple concrete examples of mistakes that people make all the time in the different branches.

An example: First Flyer This is the first one I made for metaphysics. It uses prayer as a simple concrete example of a mistake that many people make and then asks for potential members to be the opposite.

I'm currently still looking for ideas on every branch except metaphysics. Thank you in advance for any help.

Epistemology suggestion: Don't join our club... unless you're absolutely certain you want to acquire knowledge.

Ethics suggestion: Don't join our club... unless you're convinced it's in your rational self interest.

Politics: Don't join our club... unless you want to be an advocate for individual rights and freedom.

I agree that your approach is innovative, but personally I am not too fond of the idea. Most importantly, "DON’T JOIN OUR CLUB… …unless you believe that prayer is ineffective" does get one's attention, but the focus is on an inessential. I suppose if you asked me I would agree that prayer is ineffective, but it would never occur to me to advertise my view in that way. It is not simply a practical matter that prayer does not work, but I reject prayer because of the irrationality of mysticism. Besides, do you really want to attract anyone who does not believe prayer is effective? I bet an awful lot of liberals would fit that bill. As you yourself note, you do not want more non-returning people showing up for the first meeting.

Further down your flier has "Objectivism," "Ayn Rand," "The Fountainhead," and "Atlas Shrugged" in bold, and I suspect that anyone who returns after the first meeting will do so for one or more of those. I wish your club well and hope you continue to attract the sort of people that have become your good friends.

Epistemology suggestion: Don't join our club... unless you're absolutely certain you want to acquire knowledge.

Ethics suggestion: Don't join our club... unless you're convinced it's in your rational self interest.

Politics: Don't join our club... unless you want to be an advocate for individual rights and freedom.

Oh, wow! Those are quite good! Thanks! I'll do some thinking about them.

I've come up with one for aesthetics here. By the way, if you have a club and want to use these flyers then feel free to use them at your leisure. :o

I agree that your approach is innovative, but personally I am not too fond of the idea. Most importantly, "DON’T JOIN OUR CLUB… …unless you believe that prayer is ineffective" does get one's attention, but the focus is on an inessential. I suppose if you asked me I would agree that prayer is ineffective, but it would never occur to me to advertise my view in that way. It is not simply a practical matter that prayer does not work, but I reject prayer because of the irrationality of mysticism. Besides, do you really want to attract anyone who does not believe prayer is effective? I bet an awful lot of liberals would fit that bill. As you yourself note, you do not want more non-returning people showing up for the first meeting.

Further down your flier has "Objectivism," "Ayn Rand," "The Fountainhead," and "Atlas Shrugged" in bold, and I suspect that anyone who returns after the first meeting will do so for one or more of those. I wish your club well and hope you continue to attract the sort of people that have become your good friends.

You raise some good points, but I still think that my advertising will achieve its goals. The club has already attracted those who have read Ayn Rand's novels, know about the philosophy, and explicitly agree with it. I'm trying to attract those who might not know about Ayn Rand or that she had a philosophy that they might agree with if they only knew it. Yes, my method will attract more people who won't return, but it will also attract more people who will return.

You raise some good points, but I still think that my advertising will achieve its goals. The club has already attracted those who have read Ayn Rand's novels, know about the philosophy, and explicitly agree with it. I'm trying to attract those who might not know about Ayn Rand or that she had a philosophy that they might agree with if they only knew it. Yes, my method will attract more people who won't return, but it will also attract more people who will return.

I was just thinking that the only thing that I might change is to make it a little more positive, as in "JOIN OUR CLUB... if..." Would that suit your tastes better, Mr. Speicher? You've definitely got me thinking about this. :o

I agree that your approach is innovative, but personally I am not too fond of the idea. Most importantly, "DON’T JOIN OUR CLUB… …unless you believe that prayer is ineffective" does get one's attention, but the focus is on an inessential. I suppose if you asked me I would agree that prayer is ineffective, but it would never occur to me to advertise my view in that way. It is not simply a practical matter that prayer does not work, but I reject prayer because of the irrationality of mysticism.

Stephen, we had another flier which I think would appeal to you. It appealed to both Nick and I, but we're already pretty much convinced. What we're going for is not to attract Objectivists, but to attract like-minded people who don't yet understand the principles. For example, on ethics we wouldn't want to advertise for selfish people because the vast majority of the population implicitly understands selfishness to be mean-spirited and cruel.

~Aurelia

I was just thinking that the only thing that I might change is to make it a little more positive, as in "JOIN OUR CLUB... if..." Would that suit your tastes better, Mr. Speicher? You've definitely got me thinking about this. :o

For the reasons I explained, my main objection was to leading with "... unless you believe that prayer is ineffective." More than anything else, that is what I would replace. If you want to go with the "DON’T JOIN OUR CLUB…" approach, then I would replace the "prayer" comment with something like:

... unless you value your own self-interest.

... unless you accept an objective reality.

... unless reason makes you do it.

And, Nicolaus, I don't have any particular expertise in salesmanship, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt. Whatever you wind up doing, I wish you and your club the best of success.

My two cents: I liked the "Don't Join Our Club..." part, but can see Stephen's point that having a phrase specifically about prayers not working is a non-essential. The suggestions offered by Paul are more to the point about the positives of Objectivism, and keeping the "Don't Join Our Club" beginning, would, I think, get most people's attention initially, which is an important (and difficult) aspect of advertising. (I looked at this thread because I was intrigued by the title.)

And, Nicolaus, I don't have any particular expertise in salesmanship, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt.

I always take your comments very seriously. You've had more time than I to find the implications of the principles of Objectivism, and integrate them into all areas of your life. More often than not, when our opinions or ideas don't agree, I end up finding that it was an error in my thinking.

Whatever you wind up doing, I wish you and your club the best of success.

Thank you. :o

Oh, wow! Those are quite good! Thanks! I'll do some thinking about them.

I've come up with one for aesthetics here. By the way, if you have a club and want to use these flyers then feel free to use them at your leisure. :o

I would change it to: "if you think random paint splotches on a canvas are meaningless" to indicate some connection to art.

I’ve posted some of the posters I designed for the GMU Objectivist Club here:

GMUOC Posters

I’m not a big fan of the “Don’t Join this Club” meme. Seems kind of lame actually. What I would recommend clubs consider is how to differentiate the club from other morality and ethics based groups. For example, consider the following:

SEX

The Christians say sex is evil

The Muslims say sex is . . . (whatever they say)

The relativists say that you should have sex with anyone . . .

We say sex is good, important, and special . . .

Or:

How you think affects your:

education,

career,

income,

sex life,

esteem,

relationships,

freedom, and

happiness

Epistemology is a moral matter . . .join the Objectivist club . . .

The point is to push the substantive differences between O clubs and other similar-interest groups. Happy hunting! :o

... unless reason makes you do it.

:o That's great! It's just sarcastic enough to be fun, but not enough to be "in-your-face".

For ethics how about:

"Don't join our club ...unless you want to be happy."

or

"Don't join out club... unless you want to think!"

Though on second thought that first one may be a bit childish. Maybe "Don't join our club... unless you love life." ? I think something to that effect is better than bringing up selfishness, or even "rational self-interest".

Have fun!

Zak

nprovenzo, I'm glad someone else out there appreciates a good Rachel Corrie joke :o

You should also celebrate the anniversary of when she became "One with the Earth..."

In response to an English Playwright making a sympathetic theater production for Rachel Corrie, members on littlegreenfootballs.com suggested that they should make a musical out of it, complete with parts for the Bulldozer as well. One objection though was that Rachel would have a flat tune.

I don't understand the "Don't join the club if...._____" thing, it almost sounds as if you are attempting to appeal to people through negatives instead of positives.

What's the matter with the generic "If you stand for ________ and _______ and believe in the greatness of ______ then come join us at...." approach?

"Don't join our club..." is a great interest-getter. The purpose is to arouse interest.

The second part of the sentence... "... unless you..." is less important that the first interest getter. In fact, you can even dispense with and "...unless you..." without losing much.

"Don't join our club...."

--------------------------

The XYZ Objectivist club is...

So, don't join our club unless...

- abc

- xyz