free spirit

Pictures of my work

22 posts in this topic

Being that I've said so much about my work, I'm anxious to show you all some pictures.

Two are of Sarah, and one is of a model I worked on for a local news t.v show. She is the brunnette you see. The redhead is a client I had at the other salon I worked at.

I particularily favoured working on Sarah, not only because she is a dear friend, but because of who she is. I know her thoughts, values, and virtues, and wanted to express that the best I could. I wanted to make her as beautiful on the outside as she is on the inside :o

Enjoy! ;)

~Carrie~

post-196-1138421536_thumb.jpg

post-196-1138421567_thumb.jpg

post-196-1138421603_thumb.jpg

post-196-1138421630_thumb.jpg

I particularily favoured working on Sarah, not only because she is a dear friend, but because of who she is. I know her thoughts, values, and virtues, and wanted to express that the best I could.  I wanted to make her as beautiful on the outside as she is on the inside  :o

I agree that Sarah is quite beautiful, both inside and outside. But I would be interested in learning how you used your knowledge of Sarah in making choices meant to express what you know about her. In other words, what were the choices you made in your work with Sarah, and what were the reasons for those choices?

When I was in Boston a few weeks ago. I did a make-over on Sarah. I gave her highlights, and a haircut. I styled her hair and applied her make-up every day I was there.

As per Sarah's request, I gave her finely sectioned, all-over,natural looking blond highlights. She wanted her all over color to be lighter. The color choice was perfect. It brightened up her whole look. It brightened her skin tone, illuminated her eyes, and gave her a fresh look.

For the cut, I took off the dead ends, without sacrificing the length too much, and gave her a lot more layers than she had. This gave her a little more body by taking away a lot of the bulk that was weighing her hair down, and tons of movement in the hair.

Sarah has strong features, so I wanted to soften them a little by adding wispy, feminine layers framing her face. Especially around the eye. She has fantastic cheekbones, so I wanted to accentuate that, and open up her face with the layers.

With make-up, I decided to use neutral colors like browns and burnt rose for contouring. Sometimes I used an accent color like a bright blue or green on the inner corners of the eye to compliment the color of Sarah's eye. Mainly I used a shimmer golden color to sweep and blend across the whole lid. Sarah has beautiful, full eyebrows, so I avoided too much liner as not to "crowd" the eye, or make it appear smaller. Sarah has a fantastic shaped lip. Very full. All I used was a sheer, shimmer lip gloss.

Carrie~

Recently I have begun experimenting with make-up again, but I run into the same problems I always have. No matter how well applied, make-up tends to look like crayon on my face. :P

I think it's because I have very fair skin. So, I want to try doing just a foundation and no accentuations. Could you please reccomend any resources on applying foundation (I've never done it and I have only a vague idea of what highlighting and contouring are). After browsing Amazon.com I thought that Face Forward by Aucoin or Bobbi Brown Beauty would be good. Any suggestions? :)

~Aurelia

Hi Aurelia!

What is it that you are using foundation for? I usually try to stay away from foundation unless you are doing corrective work like blotchy or uneven skin tone.

If your skin isn't that bad, but would still like to use something to have a nice even finish, I would suggest a duo- powder foundation. The make-up line Trucco by Sebastian has some really nice ones. You can get this at either a salon or "Trade Secrets". This is not as heavy as regular foundation, but still gives you that even finish.

What product exactly looks like "crayon" on your face? Blush, eyeshadow? What products, colors are you using?

I would apply any cream or liquid foundation or concealer with either a sponge or a flat thin wide brush. The brush would be optimum, but a sponge is good too.

Because you are fair, I would recommend at least some contouring so you have a healthy glow to you, or to prevent looking washed out. Especially if your hair is blonde.

Your best bet to highlight and contour is with blush and some very light to medium bronzer. Foundation is meant to give an even, (matte) tone.

I would recommend anything by Kevin Aucoin. He is absolutely THE KING in make-up. He did truly amazing work, a master of his craft. Unfortunately, he is passed away, but his books are still well in publication. I have never read Bobbi Brown Beauty.

~Carrie~

Carrie,

I want to say THANK YOU for your work. It makes my life better to see beauty all around me, especially in the form of women. To take a naturally beautiful woman and highlight her strengths, or to transform a rather plain woman into a breathtaking beauty, is a noble undertaking, not just for what it does for a woman's confidence, pride, and self-esteem, but for the pleasure it brings to the eyes of the many beholders like me.

Ed

Carrie,

I want to say THANK YOU for your work.  It makes my life better to see beauty all around me, especially in the form of women.

I think Carrie could have a booth at the next Objectivist conference! :P

What is it that you are using foundation for? I usually try to stay away from foundation unless you are doing corrective work like blotchy or uneven skin tone. 

If your skin isn't that bad, but would still like to use something to have a nice even finish, I would suggest a duo- powder foundation. The make-up line Trucco by Sebastian has some really nice ones. You can get this at either a salon or "Trade Secrets". This is not as heavy as regular foundation, but still gives you that even finish.

I'm not looking for heavy duty coverage, just something to smooth out freckles and a slightly too pinkish tint (I burn rather than tan). I was also hoping that I could do something minimize my forehead. A duo-powder foundation, that is a foundation that can be used as both cream and powder, right? If you don't mind my asking, how is it that using both textures makes a lighter finish, wouldn't just a powder be best?

What product exactly looks like "crayon" on your face? Blush, eyeshadow? What products, colors are you using?

Anything I put around my eyes or any color I add to my cheeks. I've tried very light shades (almost peachy) of blush and eye-shadow, but the color never blends well with the rest of my face. Similarly, mascara and eye-liner always pop so that you notice it first and foremost. I've tried extremely fine black lines with liquid liner, and lighter shades (browns/greens) that match my eyes to try to accentuate my features rather than cover them, but everything just takes over my face.

I would apply any cream or liquid foundation or concealer with either a sponge or a flat thin wide brush. The brush would be optimum, but a sponge is good too.

That's curious, I would think the bristles of a brush would make a streaky finish. But my experience in applying foundation is nil, so I'm inclined to take your word for it. :P

From what I've learned, applying a foundation seems to be an exact art, I'll definitely look for a book by Aucoin when I go to Borders. Thank you, Carrie, for your advice.

~Aurelia

Aurelia,

I don't know what Carrie thinks of Bare Essentials, but if you want just a little make up, it might be a good brand for you. You can use very little of it, which is how I like to use it. I don't use it in exactly the way they tell you too, because it's just too much. It's sold in Bare Essentials stores, or in stores that sell things by the shopping channels.

----

For you guys out there -- I have a good answer to a question that you might be asked by women about make-up. Obviously, if you have a strong opinion about it one way or another in any particular case, you can simply express that opinion. But I have noticed that most men do not seem to have given the issue of women wearing make-up too much heavy thought, so they might find answering the question a little tricky.

So, if your lady asks if you prefer for her to wear make-up, and you have no strong opinion one way or another, a good, safe answer is "For you, it's optional. I like the way you look either way."

Assuming that you care about the woman who asks, this answer can be better than a simple yes or no. Because if a woman is overly sensitive, she could interpret 'yes' as "Yes, you really need it" or 'no' as "No, it doesn't help."

So, if your lady asks if you prefer for her to wear make-up, and you have no strong opinion one way or another, a good, safe answer is "For you, it's optional. I like the way you look either way."

Women love asking those trick questions!

I don't know what Carrie thinks of Bare Essentials, but if you want just a little make up, it might be a good brand for you. You can use very little of it, which is how I like to use it. I don't use it in exactly the way they tell you too, because it's just too much. It's sold in Bare Essentials stores, or in stores that sell things by the shopping channels.

Thanks! I had never heard of this brand before but after googling it, the company advertises it's product as 'pure' make-up that won't harm your skin. That's definitely worth looking into! :P

~Aurelia

Women love asking those trick questions!

Reminds me of a Gallagher joke. "Women are always giving you doubletalk. Take backing out of the driveway. You ask, are there any cars coming? She says: No .. one .. coming. Is it 'No one coming' or 'No, one coming' ??? "

I was only able to avoid the inevitable trick-question-tiff one time. I was asked the dreaded, "Does this make me look fat?"

My response: You're only asking that because you're trying to pick a fight. No matter what I say, you're going to get mad.

Then, everything turned out ok, because I "understood her so well." The thing is... I really don't understant it at all. :P

I think Carrie could have a booth at the next Objectivist conference!  :)

I agree - I have already offered to be her receptionist and book her appointments! :P

I think Carrie could have a booth at the next Objectivist conference!  :)

I agree - I have already offered to be her receptionist and book her appointments! :P

Sounds good. I hope you have negotiated a good commission! :D

And, why limit it to women? Most men may not use makeup very much, but I saw quite a few at the conference in dire need of a good haircut!

Aurelia,

I'm not looking for heavy duty coverage, just something to smooth out freckles and a slightly too pinkish tint (I burn rather than tan).

If a slight tonal difference and even coverage is all that you are after, I would definitely go with a colored pressed powder or a duo-powder foundation like, I suggested. My policy is to try and stay away from foundation and that of the like unless it is absolutely needed. I say this because foundation tends to "smother" or "suffocate" the skin. You want to let it breathe as much as possible to prevent blocked pores etc...

A duo-powder foundation, that is a foundation that can be used as both cream and powder, right? If you don't mind my asking, how is it that using both textures makes a lighter finish, wouldn't just a powder be best?

Yes, ultimately using just a colored powder would be ideal. But I suggested the duo if you were insistent on the coverage. Duo-foundation powder, has the coverage of a foundation, but the velvety finish of a powder.

I was also hoping that I could do something minimize my forehead.

For this problem, I most highly suggest changing your haircut. Your ultimately going to want to have some hair sweeping across your forehead. Probably in the form of some kind of "fringe", or shorter peices in the front, side-swept. Your fringe can vary to where it lays. you can have a longer fringe at cheekbone level, just under your eye, (like Sarah's is) or at eye level. Whatever you feel comfortable with. I would suggest this highly over trying to minimize it with make-up. You can try and visually alter the proportions of the face with contouring etc... but that's not going to give any illusions to the bone structure which is where the problem lays. With hair, you can just lay it across the forehead to minimize how much skin shows. Does that make sense?

Anything I put around my eyes or any color I add to my cheeks. I've tried very light shades (almost peachy) of blush and eye-shadow, but the color never blends well with the rest of my face.

It's hard to give you precise advice on this area, because I'm not seeing your exact skin tones and the colors you use, but what I can suggest, is to try light gold, pink/copper shadow. The great thing with shimmery eyeshadow, is that you can sweep it across your lid, and it makes the eye pop. You don't have to know any contouring techniques. Just sweep it across the whole lid.

Similarly, mascara and eye-liner always pop so that you notice it first and foremost. I've tried extremely fine black lines with liquid liner, and lighter shades (browns/greens) that match my eyes to try to accentuate my features rather than cover them, but everything just takes over my face.

For a fair woman like yourself, I would stress to use brown eyeliners and mascara. That way, it will still give depth to your eye, and soften it, but it won't look stark on your face. A great trick that I love to use, is to use dark eyeshadow as eyeliner. With a very fine brush, I gently dab, or stroke the shadow as close to my lashline as I can get it. This technique, combines with the color, should give you a much softer look.

As for your cheeks, try to use a bronzer, or if you choose a regular blush, go for a warm or neutral tone. (Warm, on the very light coppery side). Apply it gradually with the blush.

What are you using for lipcolor or gloss?

Thank you, Carrie, for your advice.

You are very welcome! :P

~Carrie~

And, why limit it to women? Most men may not use makeup very much, but I saw quite a few at the conference in dire need of a good haircut!

I agree! Not that I need a haircut, but what do you (Carrie, not Stephen!) recommend for treating a unibrow?

HaloNoble6,

Not that I need a haircut, but what do you (Carrie, not Stephen!) recommend for treating a unibrow?

There are multiple ways you can get rid of this problem.

Temporary methods:

1) Waxing -- This produces results that are very clean, smooth, and can last up to two weeks depending on how fast your hair grows. It's not that expensive and effective. The only downsides is that a) you have to wait until it grows back until you can wax it again. :P if it is something your going to do over some lengthy period of time, the cost can add up.

2) Depilatories -- These are creams that you apply on the hair. This cream dissolves the hair at skin level. You usually leave it on anywhere from 5-15 minutes. (Nair etc...) Yes, you have to wait until the hair grows back again to do the procedure, but you can use "Nair" as soon as hair re-appears, as opposed to waxing, which needs at least a 1/4 of an inch to be effective.

Permanent methods:

1) Electrolysis -- This method removes the hair from the root. It sends an electric current to the root of the hair, and destroys it. Depending on the coarseness of the hair, it will take a number of procedures. It also can be painful and expensive, but worth the money because the effects are permanent.

2) Laser (hair removal) -- This is similar to the electrolysis in that it deadens the hair follicle or root. Laser uses a (surprise!) laser beam pulsed on the skin to deaden/impair the follicle. This technique works best on fair skin and dark hair, but as long as your hair is darker than your skin, you should see definite results. Again, this technique is expensive, but worth it.

~Carrie~

Yes, ultimately using just a colored powder would be ideal. But I suggested the duo if you were insistent on the coverage. Duo-foundation powder, has the coverage of a foundation, but the velvety finish of a powder.

Would a powder go just as well over the top of a spot concealer as an over-all concealer?

For this problem, I most highly suggest changing your haircut.

Yes, I thought that might be the case. Make-up can help improve, but not perform magic. I'll forego my usual home trim and go to Great Clips, bearing in mind what you said about a fringe. :P

What are you using for lipcolor or gloss?   

I can use very light tint on my lips well. I like peachish lipstick and I think that that'll go well with the bronze/gold/copper colours you suggest for blush and shadow. I tend to go for easy application; so right now I apply a very bright red, wait a minute, and wipe it off. It leaves a pale pink stain, which means I get the light colour I want without re-applying nearly as often. I use Soft Lips balm on top of that.

~Aurelia

I agree!  Not that I need a haircut, but what do you (Carrie, not Stephen!) recommend for treating a unibrow?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Stephen could possibly offer you free treatment, I'm sure he has a spare ND-YAG Laser sitting around in one of his labs that would be perfect :P

But as a fellow victim of the unibrow, I do understand your plight (mine thankfully has diminished somewhat with age).

I may be on Stephen's list of those in "dire need of a good haircut!" though as I've been giving myself hair-cuts over the past year and a half and the accumulated look is well, a little rough around the edges to say the least! I might be amongst the masses at Carrie's OCON booth.

I agree!  Not that I need a haircut, but what do you (Carrie, not Stephen!) recommend for treating a unibrow?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you start sporting the unibrow in public and change your name to Bert. :P

j/k man, I couldn't resist.