spowell

Invitation to History

9 posts in this topic

Dear Ayn Rand fans:

As a history teacher at VanDamme Academy for the past three years, I've worked extensively on creating an integrated history curriculum for children, and in the process I've made wonderful breakthroughs in own studies of the past. Like most of you, I was not taught history, and my early attempts to learn it as an adult were frustrating, to say the least. Indeed, it's entirely understandable to me that most Objectivists, who are highly intellectual and committed to the value of philosophy, still find history, by contrast, to be inaccessible and even boring.

That's why I'd like to invite you to hear a teleconference lecture I'm offering entitled "Invitation to History." In this lecture, I will discuss the present state of history from an Objectivist perspective, and I will introduce a new lecture series in the history of Western civilization, entitled "A First History for Adults," which I am confident will inspire you to include the study of the past in your intellectual pursuits.

Three sessions of "Invitation to History" are currently planned. Feb.23, 24, and 26. Please visit my website at: www.powellhistory.com/invitation for more details and to register. You can also learn more about "A First History for Adults" by navigating through the site, and by joining my mailing list.

Best regards,

Scott Powell.

scott@powellhistory.com

Three sessions of "Invitation to History" are currently planned.  Feb.23, 24, and 26.  Please visit my website at: www.powellhistory.com/invitation for more details and to register.  You can also learn more about "A First History for Adults" by navigating through the site, and by joining my mailing list. 

The lecture sounds interesting, Scott. One point, and two questions.

1. When I try to navigate the site from the referenced page, I get a "Page Not Found" message for every link.

2. When on the site you say "join us for Invitation to History," is that an imperial "us" or is someone else involved in the lecture?

3. The starting dates and times are clear, but for planning sake, how long will the lecture be?

Do you ever plan on taping these lectures and selling recordings?

All lectures are also recorded, and

temporarily made available via the web to students who miss a class (or who

would like to listen to one again!).

Mr. Speicher, if you go to http://www.powellhistory.com/, you'll be able navigate the site from there.

Thanks. But not all links for navigation are available from each section that you navigate to. For instance, when I go to "Home" then "Philosophy" is not available, and when I go to "Curriculum" then "About" is not available. Similarly with others.

It also says that the lecture is for one hour.

Yes, thanks. I missed that one.

Do you ever plan on taping these lectures and selling recordings?

Rose:

I will be making the "Invitation to History" lecture available for free on the web after the teleconference sessions.

As for "A First History for Adults," the current session has been recorded, but I do not intend to make it available. As with any lecture series delivered the first time, it needs to be polished, so I'm hoping to put together a few more classes. When I'm satisfied with it, I will eventually sell it on CD, and perhaps as a web product.

Regards,

Scott.

The lecture sounds interesting, Scott. One point, and two questions.

1. When I try to navigate the site from the referenced page, I get a "Page Not Found" message for every link.

2. When on the site you say "join us for Invitation to History," is that an imperial "us" or is someone else involved in the lecture?

3. The starting dates and times are clear, but for planning sake, how long will the lecture be?

Stephen:

1. I've fixed the links. Thanks for the tip. Being a webmaster is tough!

2. Just a manner of speaking, I guess. My wife and I? All the rest of my students!

3. I plan for the lecture to be one hour.

Scott.

I've fixed the links.  Thanks for the tip.  Being a webmaster is tough!

Tough, and seemingly neverending! :P

1. When you click on the "Philosophy" link the "Mailing List" link is not highlighted.

2. In Firefox, when you click on "Home" the "Philosophy" link is highlighted, but it is not operative. In Internet Explorer it is okay.

3. In Firefox, when you click on "Curriculum" the "Mailing List" and "About" links are highlighted, but inoperative. This does not happen in Internet Explorer.

4. In Firefox, all the text writing appears correctly in the white space, but in Internet Explorer some of the text spills over into the dark brown strip on the right, making it almost unreadable.