Betsy Speicher

Eichler Homes

31 posts in this topic

Books of The Times

Making the iBio for Apple’s Genius

By JANET MASLIN

Published: October 21, 2011

After Steve Jobs anointed Walter Isaacson as his authorized biographer in 2009, he took Mr. Isaacson to see the Mountain View, Calif., house in which he had lived as a boy. He pointed out its “clean design” and “awesome little features.” He praised the developer, Joseph Eichler, who built more than 11,000 homes in California subdivisions, for making an affordable product on a mass-market scale. And he showed Mr. Isaacson the stockade fence built 50 years earlier by his father, Paul Jobs.

“He loved doing things right,” Mr. Jobs said. “He even cared about the look of the parts you couldn’t see.”

Mr. Jobs, the brilliant and protean creator whose inventions so utterly transformed the allure of technology, turned those childhood lessons into an all-purpose theory of intelligent design.

Full article

How about that? I didn't know he lived in an Eichler home. Makes you wonder just how much inspiration he drew from it.

"The Magic of Technology"

"Unlike most kids who grew up in Eichler homes, Jobs knew what they were and why they were so wonderful. He liked the notion of simple and clean modernism produced for the masses," writes Isaacson, regarding the Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired homes of Jobs's boyhood suburb.

"Eichler did a great thing," said Jobs. "I love it when you can bring really great design and simple capability to something that doesn’t cost much," noting that this philosophy was the "original vision for Apple."

Full Article

18762936_5787b2d4af_z.jpg?zz=1

"The Incredibles" movie features a Eichler style home

From the Eichler Network (link)

The Parr's home in the Incredibles is very much Eichler inspired.

Scott Caple credited as the Environmental Designer on the film was a big fan of Eichlers and taking direction from the Director, Brad Bird they went with the modern retro style, because it's so damn cool.

While in early development the design team on the Incredibles had aquired the Ernie Braun photographs from the book, Eichler / Modernism Rebuilds the American Dream before the book was published.

I'm an Animator at Pixar and was thrilled to have been able to worked on The Incredibles, and I'm also a proud owner of an Eichler.

xlarge_eicher-house.jpg

By Jesus Diaz

Oct 31, 2011 1:00 PM 53,903 102rightbar.comment.png

The House That First Inspired Steve Jobs (link)

Like everyone else in the planet, I'm reading Steve Jobs' biography. Finding the origin of his character and taste is truly fascinating. Like the influence of his very first home on his perception of what design for the masses should be.

Jobs' first home was a Joseph Eichler-built house. Like many people in California, Jobs' adoptive parents lived in one of the 11,000 homes built by Eichler in 12 communities all over that state. The Eichlers, as they are commonly known, are simple, clean, single-story open-plan houses, with exposed wood beams and large, top to bottom glass panels.

Eichler was influenced himself by Frank Lloyd Wright, as he lived for a while in one of the famous architect's Usonian houses. Wright coined the word Usonia to refer to his idea of architecture and landscaping for the common American citizen, home designs that were simple, small and embedded in the environment. The real estate developer thought he had to bring Wright's design philosophy to the masses and he succeeded.

Jobs had warm memories of this house. He loved it. He told to his biographer that this house greatly influenced his vision of what design for the masses should be: "I love it when you can bring really great design and simple capability to something that doesn't cost much. It was the original vision for Apple."