Ed from OC

YOUR 2005 Best Picture

20 posts in this topic

If you could give any movie from 2005 the best picture Oscar, what would you pick? I haven't seen most of the nominees this year, nor did most people.

Here is a list of the 150 top-grossing pictures from last year for your viewing. Scanning this list, the ones that stood out for me were the following, with my picks for best picture given asterisks:

Batman Begins*

Walk the Line*

Cinderella Man**

Pride and Prejudice*

Elizabethtown**

Serenity

The Matador

Casanova

Domino

Mrs. Henderson Presents*

Mad Hot Ballroom**

** Haven't seen it yet, but have heard enough good comments to believe it is quite good, and would be a reasonable contender for best picture (except for the last, a documentary).

The list is pretty bleak for 2005. It's a tough call for the 4 of the above. I think the best overall (production, acting, direction, story, characters, etc.) was Batman Begins or Pride and Prejudice. Batman had the unfortunate casting of Katie Holmes as the only noticeable weakness. P&P was terrific, but not edge-of-your-seat surprising and exciting, which is appropriate for the "best of the year" picture.

So, strange as it may seem, I'd vote for BATMAN BEGINS.

My favorite was Batman Begins.

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang should be added to my list. (BoxOfficeMojo ranked its gross at 183, so it didn't show up in the list I linked to.) I liked it a lot, and it really stood out, but I wouldn't give it the Best Picture.

If you could give any movie from 2005 the best picture Oscar, what would you pick? 

[...]

Batman Begins*

Walk the Line*

Cinderella Man**

Pride and Prejudice*

Elizabethtown**

Serenity

The Matador

Casanova

Domino

Mrs. Henderson Presents*

Mad Hot Ballroom**

[...]

So, strange as it may seem, I'd vote for BATMAN BEGINS.

I've already made my choice known on another thread. But, it wouldn't hurt to repeat it: Batman Begins.

I would add Memoirs of a Geisha to your list, however. I don't know how those Academy voters could have not given the Original Score Oscar to John Williams for this movie. Interestingly, he was nominated twice in this category this year.

If you could give any movie from 2005 the best picture Oscar, what would you pick?  I haven't seen most of the nominees this year, nor did most people.

I didn't see enough movies to be able to judge which one was best, but besides Cinderella Man, I also liked The Great Raid a lot. I'd recommend it as an addition to your list of "good movies". (I see that it is number 143 on the list of movie receipts - I think it deserved to be more widely viewed than that.)

I waited to chime in till I had seen Crash, and having seen it now I would vote for Crash as "Best Picture" of 2005. Not best for personal enjoyment -- Crash has a jaundiced, malevolent sense of life -- but best in the art of film. I do note, however, that 2005 was not a great year for film, artistically or otherwise.

On a personal level, I probably enjoyed Serenity and Pride and Prejudice the most (though Mrs. Henderson Presents was also wonderful).

I agree with Stephen (well, the latter half of his post). Based solely on personal enjoyment, I'd pick Serenity and Pride and Prejudice. Though that could be because I just finally got around to seeing them recently, whereas I haven't seen some of the others in a while.

I haven't seen many of the movies on the list (including Crash), so I can't comment.

Star Wars Episode III

I haven't seen all of the movies on the list yet either. I would like to see Cinderella Man, Elizabethtown, and Walk the Line.

Of the 2005 movies I have seen, Pride and Prejudice is my favorite and I like Batman Begins almost equally as well.

I would like to change my earlier decision to Pride and Prejudice. After viewing this movie tonight, I do not think there was a better movie made last year. I would love to see Hollywood make movies of this quality all the time.

I may have missed it on the list, but A History of Violence would have to be my pick. Batman Begins was great, the best of the whole comic book based movie industry. And of course, I'll have to go with Walk the line also.

I haven't seen Pride and Predjudice yet but everyone i know who has seen it say it's great. Might be a rental for the weekend for me.

Of the films from 2005, Serenity for personal enjoyment and Brokeback Mountain on artistic merit. Don't let the 'gay cowboy movie' label stop you from seeing Brokeback Mountain. It's an excellent film about the importance of pursuing values to living a happy life... and what happens when you don't. The themes in Serenity were just as profound, but I think it suffered from being a continuation of a television series and doesn't stand as well on its own as a film.

Honorable mentions... Pride and Prejudice and Elizabethtown.

Star Wars Episode III

I have to back the Jedi Master on this, even if I am late. There really wasn't any other movie last year.

Wallace and Gromit was a fun little movie with a witty script. I love the way they poked fun of the British and their gardening obsession. The scene in the church is hilarious, and there is some fitting mockery of religion in this movie.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, for a good movie about values with a lot of laughs thrown in. Johnny Depp is great - I love the way in which he tells some of the kids off.

My favorite, however, was Cinderella Man. Best movie of 2005, hands down. The casting, script, and acting were all good, plus the movie had a great message. Watching this movie was also a nice reminder of how brilliantly versatile Paul Giamatti is! Not exactly a looker, but what an actor.