MRZ

Beautiful Women and Men

209 posts in this topic

Here's someone i've liked since being a young boy, and she's only gotten prettier through the years.

sandra_bullock_03.jpg

2rxk5yw.jpg

Red, I agree with you about Daniel Craig and Sandra Bullock. I think that in Sandra Bullock's last couple of movies she looks stunning.

Another vote for Sandra Bullock. I've always enjoyed looking at her!

With today's airbrushing abilities it is sometimes hard to know what is real and what is not when it comes to photographs. But the top photograph of Anna Netrebko is amazing in demonstrating her blemishless face and it's beauty.

Sandra Bullock, who was mentioned here, is certainly a dropdead gorgeous woman who has aged well.

But the woman whom I consider to be the world champion sex-bomb right now is Eva Mendes. There was this scene in the 2009 movie, The Spirit. The Spirit was not a memorable movie, generally speaking. In fact, it was a turkey. But there was this one single scene in that movie which blew my mind away. In one scene, the femme fatale, who is played by Eva Mendes, is shown undressing. And we in the movie theatre were treated to the privilege of getting to gaze for several seconds, yes several seconds, at the naked Eva Mendes. Those of you who know what fetish I have can guess which part of Eva´s anatomy my attention was riveted to! I hope that this is not in bad taste, Betsy. But this thread *is* about beautiful men and women. And in my opinion, that part of every woman´s anatomy is her body´s sexiest, most attractive feature.

But, of course, the most beautiful woman of them all is my wife, Thi!

Another gorgeous celebrity was Michelle Pfeiffer when she was younger, back in the 1980s. She is still attractive, but it does show that she is no longer young.

But back in the 1980s, when I was just beginning to learn Objectivism (I discovered Objectivism in 1979) I would sometimes have fantasies of a really good movie version of Atlas Shrugged being made (that dream of mine has still not been actualized). When I was engaged in that daydreaming, I would often think to myself that the perfect movie version of Atlas Shrugged would have Michelle Pfeiffer play Dagny. Also I would picture to myself Harrison Ford as playing her lover, Hank Rearden. And Glenn Close as Lillian Rearden. I never came up with a good candidate for those other important characters, John Galt, Francisco and Ragnar. But Jack Nicholson I thought was a shoe-in for the part of Jim Taggart! Although *maybe* he was a little too old, already then.

Incidentally, Harrison Ford, when he was younger, is my idea of a really handsome man.

Ann Francis, as she appeared in the 1956 movie "Forbidden Planet" was pretty cute for that time.

Today, I'd have to say my favorite is Chiaki Kuriyama, as she appeared in "Kill Bill". There's something about that combination of school girl charm coupled with deadly martial arts that I find VERY sexy. ;)

Another gorgeous celebrity was Michelle Pfeiffer when she was younger, back in the 1980s. She is still attractive, but it does show that she is no longer young.

But back in the 1980s, when I was just beginning to learn Objectivism (I discovered Objectivism in 1979) I would sometimes have fantasies of a really good movie version of Atlas Shrugged being made (that dream of mine has still not been actualized). When I was engaged in that daydreaming, I would often think to myself that the perfect movie version of Atlas Shrugged would have Michelle Pfeiffer play Dagny. Also I would picture to myself Harrison Ford as playing her lover, Hank Rearden. And Glenn Close as Lillian Rearden. I never came up with a good candidate for those other important characters, John Galt, Francisco and Ragnar. But Jack Nicholson I thought was a shoe-in for the part of Jim Taggart! Although *maybe* he was a little too old, already then.

Incidentally, Harrison Ford, when he was younger, is my idea of a really handsome man.

I think Michelle Pfeiffer could still make an excellent, and stunning, Dagny.

2wn2zr7.jpg

For the other heroes(i'll focus on the heroes to stay on theme of this thread), i'd like to see:

Brad Pitt as John Galt

az842f.jpg

He's not only good looking and a fine actor, but I think he might be the only actor able to capture the right sense of life. You know, that youthfull and painless sense of existance where suffering is unimportant. I'm not claiming he has done that before, but look at films like Legends of the Fall, A River Runs Through It, some scenes where he plays a younger Benjamin Button...

Viggo Mortensen as Hank Rearden

sp7oud.jpg

Good (and I mean gooood) actor), hard face, would fit perfectly in the foundry and Reardens ascetic office. Give him longer hair and a mustasche, so he looks a bit like Sam Elliott in Tombstone, and he can also play Ellis Wyatt.

Alexander Skarsgård as Ragnar Danneskjöld

10wjs3o.png

This is a tough one. How do you pick an actor for the most handsome man ever invented? Mr. Skarsgård atleast has the kind of look I imagined, and under the right circumstances he can be quite handsome. Also his height(6'4") gives him some real presence on the screen.

Antonio Banderas as Francisco D'Anconia

6zpr7o.jpg

I don't think he's perfect, but I can't think of anyone else.

Now, before you give loud protests let me offer one last argument. My cast should be able to recruit a lot more women to Objectivism. Really, only things missing would be Robert Downey Jr. and Daniel Craig, but i'm sure we could put them somewhere in Galt's gulch.

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am of my own genius here(yes, I almost dislocated my shoulder trying to pat myself on the back...)... what a brilliant idea!

I think Michelle Pfeiffer could still make an excellent, and stunning, Dagny.

2wn2zr7.jpg

For the other heroes(i'll focus on the heroes to stay on theme of this thread), i'd like to see:

Brad Pitt as John Galt

az842f.jpg

He's not only good looking and a fine actor, but I think he might be the only actor able to capture the right sense of life. You know, that youthfull and painless sense of existance where suffering is unimportant. I'm not claiming he has done that before, but look at films like Legends of the Fall, A River Runs Through It, some scenes where he plays a younger Benjamin Button...

Viggo Mortensen as Hank Rearden

sp7oud.jpg

Good (and I mean gooood) actor), hard face, would fit perfectly in the foundry and Reardens ascetic office. Give him longer hair and a mustasche, so he looks a bit like Sam Elliott in Tombstone, and he can also play Ellis Wyatt.

Alexander Skarsgård as Ragnar Danneskjöld

10wjs3o.png

This is a tough one. How do you pick an actor for the most handsome man ever invented? Mr. Skarsgård atleast has the kind of look I imagined, and under the right circumstances he can be quite handsome. Also his height(6'4") gives him some real presence on the screen.

Antonio Banderas as Francisco D'Anconia

6zpr7o.jpg

I don't think he's perfect, but I can't think of anyone else.

Now, before you give loud protests let me offer one last argument. My cast should be able to recruit a lot more women to Objectivism. Really, only things missing would be Robert Downey Jr. and Daniel Craig, but i'm sure we could put them somewhere in Galt's gulch.

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am of my own genius here(yes, I almost dislocated my shoulder trying to pat myself on the back...)... what a brilliant idea!

I think that all your choices are excellent, Red.

But what do you think about my ideas for some ideal "heavies" for a movie version of Atlas Shrugged? Do you agree with me that Jack Nicholson would suit the part of Jim Taggart, or at least that he would have back in the early 1980s, when he was not yet so old? And do you agree with me that Glenn Close, back in the 1980s, really *looked* quite a lot like a real-life Lillian Rearden (no offense intended to Ms. Close, for a person´s moral character does not depend on his or her physical appearance)?

Those are pretty good choices, Red. Though Viggo might be a bit short for Rearden.

Viggo is also a Kantian. In an interview that I read Viggo stated his philosophy and also stated that Kant was his favorite philosopher.

I think that all your choices are excellent, Red.

But what do you think about my ideas for some ideal "heavies" for a movie version of Atlas Shrugged? Do you agree with me that Jack Nicholson would suit the part of Jim Taggart, or at least that he would have back in the early 1980s, when he was not yet so old? And do you agree with me that Glenn Close, back in the 1980s, really *looked* quite a lot like a real-life Lillian Rearden (no offense intended to Ms. Close, for a person´s moral character does not depend on his or her physical appearance)?

I'm not that familiar with Glenn Close, so I can't really say... The way I look at Lillian is like someone really exquisite and feminine, bearing all the signs of high social status. She's like a poisonous spider, sitting in her web, disguised as virtue. I think it might be the most diffícult role actually.

Only problem I have with Jack Nicholson is that he's too much of an "alpha male". I see Jim Taggart as a worm, and I find it hard to picture Jack Nicholson as that type of villain. But then, maybe it would make an interesting combination...

Those are pretty good choices, Red. Though Viggo might be a bit short for Rearden.

Lifts in his shoes, the right clothes and his thin frame could add a lot to his percieved height. Then contrast him against Dagny to really sell the illusion. Should be easy to add a few inches to his height(and google puts him around 6 feet to begin with). ;)

Viggo is also a Kantian. In an interview that I read Viggo stated his philosophy and also stated that Kant was his favorite philosopher.

Most actors have a bad philosophy in one way or another though. I think that's allright as long as they believe in doing a good job. Though they might not be interested for ideological reasons, so I hope they also believe in money(because my Atlas Shrugged movie-production is soooo close to happening right now :) ).

Most actors have a bad philosophy in one way or another though. I think that's allright as long as they believe in doing a good job. Though they might not be interested for ideological reasons, so I hope they also believe in money(because my Atlas Shrugged movie-production is soooo close to happening right now ;) ).

I agree. I bring up his philosophy because if he is true to his word then he should recognize that playing this part would promote the total opposite of what he stands for. Will he be willing to spit in his own face and promote that which he does not stand for? I do not know enough about his to say whether he is that integrated.

Most actors have a bad philosophy in one way or another though. I think that's allright as long as they believe in doing a good job. Though they might not be interested for ideological reasons, so I hope they also believe in money(because my Atlas Shrugged movie-production is soooo close to happening right now ;) ).

I agree. I bring up his philosophy because if he is true to his word then he should recognize that playing this part would promote the total opposite of what he stands for. Will he be willing to spit in his own face and promote that which he does not stand for? I do not know enough about his to say whether he is that integrated.

True, that would mean a huge breach in integrity on his part. Though I must say I have yet to see one actor who seems to have his philosophy well integrated, and considering the subject matter(Kant is not exactly easy to read) I suspect his views are not to be taken too seriously(pure speculation though). When I approach him with the job offer we'll just need to have a long conversation, and i'll make sure he reads Atlas. :)

Here is my pick for Lillian Rearden. January Jones' character on Mad Men, Betty Draper, IS Lillian!

january-jones-072909-m.jpg

January Jones as Betty Draper

pastel-january-jones-in-versace.jpg

Wow, that's awesome! I think you completely nailed it!

I know that taste is individual and personal, and I know that beauty is supposed to be "in the eye of the beholder" - but I just cannot fathom how any of you dudes can fail to see that Eva Mendes is *obviously* the most gorgeous woman in the world - excepting my own wife, of course. Eva Mendes is the "hostess with the mostest" when it comes to those fleshy parts of the female anatomy (both in front and behind). And Eva Mendes´ lips are so inviting!

I'm not that familiar with Glenn Close, so I can't really say... The way I look at Lillian is like someone really exquisite and feminine, bearing all the signs of high social status. She's like a poisonous spider, sitting in her web, disguised as virtue. I think it might be the most diffícult role actually.

When I read Atlas Shrugged, in my mind´s eye, Lillian Rearden was *not* beautiful. Moderately handsome maybe, but not beautiful. But I can´t really explain why I felt like that about the character Lillian.

On the subject of handsome men - what do you people on the Forum think about Madonna´s "toyboy" - that Jesus fellow? Since he is *Madonna*´s boyfriend, it is conceivable that his moral character is dubious (although I do not know, of course). But he is undeniably a "hunk" isn´t he?

I know that taste is individual and personal, and I know that beauty is supposed to be "in the eye of the beholder" - but I just cannot fathom how any of you dudes can fail to see that Eva Mendes is *obviously* the most gorgeous woman in the world - excepting my own wife, of course. Eva Mendes is the "hostess with the mostest" when it comes to those fleshy parts of the female anatomy (both in front and behind). And Eva Mendes´ lips are so inviting!

Nah, I don't know... I hear she has really sharp elbows - that would put her way below my standards.

I'm joking, of course, she's truly stunning. I'm a bit biased though as she reminds me of a certain bosnian girl I liked very much.

Speaking of beautiful women, clearly this thread needs more Objectivists. There's one in particular I just have to mention, because from time to time I visit this site and every time i'm struck by how gorgeous she looks. I'm talking about the young Mary Ann Sures:

http://facetsofaynrand.com/

When I read Atlas Shrugged, in my mind´s eye, Lillian Rearden was *not* beautiful. Moderately handsome maybe, but not beautiful. But I can´t really explain why I felt like that about the character Lillian.

I don't have access to Atlas right now so this is straight from my memory, but I think Ayn Rand described Lillian as quite good looking - except for her dead eyes.

There's one scene in particular that I think illustrates quite well what kind of person she was. It was (thanksgiving?) dinner at their house and Lillian has made all the arrangements; expensive porcelain and silverware, crystal glasses och lush decorations. Everything was very oppulent, except the food that was cheap and uninspired. Just a nice facade, but no real substance.

Regarding that Jesus-dude... The way I appreciate the looks of other men is very similar to how I appreciate artwork. I look for characteristics I can admire, though not saying that what I see necessarily reflects their real character. I like to see what men could and should be. Those are not always the most handsome(for example I love the way Rachmaninov looked), but most often hard, unyilding, confident and distinctly masculine. So, what has that got to do with Jesus(and why do I find that name so funny? ;) )? Well, he's a pretty-boy. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the guy, and i'm sure a lot of women find him "hunky", it's just that it doesn't do anything for me(I almost said "he's not my type", I think I need to post more pictures of women here... be back later! :) ).

Sorry about the bold text, I don't know how that happened!

Red (Mr. producer, director and money-bags), your comments on this thread are making me laugh so keep drawing attention to them with the boldness of your character. ;)

Haha, thanks Ray! ;)

Time to post more women, as promised earlier. I found this thread on another site and picked out some of the more tasteful ones, unfortunatley I don't know who they all are..

Sarah Chalke - cuuute

sarah_chalke.jpg

Ellen Page - also cuuuute

nnsa6q.jpg

Lovely hair

3670300.jpg

Girl in uniform

2evq8mt.jpg

Girl in library (is this from Ally McBeal?)

ir0ynt.jpg

Last, but certainly not least, a ballet dancer

k3x4ap.jpg

2wnzpef.jpg

2iussv6.jpg

Since this thread is about beautiful men and women, I decided that I would like to share with you what I think of Madonna (the pop star). I suppose that many Objectivists do not like Madonna as a person, but I think that, despite having aged a bit, Madonna qualifies as a good-looking woman. So here is what I think of Madonna. I will comment her physical appearance, her moral character and her philosophy.

When Madonna was younger, I thought that she was one of the most beautiful celebrities around. She was slender, she was *really* physically fit and I liked the form of her face (I know that not everyone does). I loved her smile, her bushy blonde hair and her eyes. Nowadays Madonna looks a bit "artificial". Her facial expression strikes me as being somewhat "stiff". I suspect that that is due to her having had cosmetic surgery. I do not like it when attractive women have such surgery in order to postpone the process of aging. I think that they are always fighting in vain when men and women resort to surgery in order to avoid aging. I see aging as an invevitable part of life, and I have more respect for attractive women who have the courage to accept the metaphysically given with grace. The obvious anxiety which aging causes many beautiful celebrities when they begin to get old, just goes to show what a bad idea it is to base one´s self-esteem *too much* on such a superficial attribute as one´s physical appearance.

What about Madonna´s moral character? I think that she is *very* mixed. On the positive side, she has displayed some impressive virtues. She is a "fighter". She started out at "the bottom" and, by dint of hard work and boundless ambition, she rose to became the "queen of pop". Of course, hardly any pop star is an intellectual giant. But entertainment is a legitimate line of work. Madonna´s music has contributed in a major way to countless men´s happiness. I am one of them. So some of Madonna´s major virtues are - productivity, ambition, independence (despite the fact that she has elements of second-handedness, having herself stated that she is an "exhibitionist" who likes to appear in front of adulating crowds) and egoism. I say that Madonna has a major element of egoism because she is the kind of person who "goes for what she wants" with bulldog determination.

On the other hand, Madonna displays some major vices as well. She has major elements of irrationality. Her choices in the field of romance do not seem to always have been rational, at least she has often not met with success in her romantic relationships. And she embraces a crude form of mysticism, Kabbala. Also, Madonna´s values are largely superficial. She seems to value her fans adulation a great deal´, probably too much. Which argues second-handedness. And fashion, in particular, is a major interest which she shares with her daughter, Lourdes. Well, there is nothing wrong with having an interest in fashion - but if fashion is too high in your value hierarchy and takes up too much of your time, that argues that you are a superficial kind of person. Many people regard Madonna as being immoral because of her "outrageous", unconventional and ostentatious sexual behavior. I am not one of them. I am not a prude. I think that it is a good thing that Madonna is not ashamed of her sexuality. And I think that it is a good thing that she has come out publicly and advocated tolerance in sexual matters.

What about Madonna´s philosophy? Well, the short answer is - it sucks. In epistemology Madonna goes for the crudest kind of mysticism (i.e. Kabbala). In ethics, Madonna is obviously on the premise of altruism (well, not all of the time but some of the time, which is too much of the time). Her activities in connection with adopting children from Malawi seem to indicate that she practices a mawkish kind of altruism. In politics, Madonna is, of course, a leftist and a statist.

So, all in all, my take on Madonna is that she is *very* mixed. But that does not detract from my enjoyment of her music. It is extraordinary what a prolific music maker she has been through the years. As an influential musical artist Madonna is right up there with the Beatles and Elvis, in my opinion.

I hope that I will not be lynched for saying this - but I actually see one clear (albeit superficial) parallel between Madonna and Ayn Rand! Both Madonna and Ayn Rand are/were "fighters". When they wanted something they worked *very* hard to get it. Neither one of them is/was a "quitter". Madonna came to New York City in the late 1970s (I believe it was 1978, to be exact) alone and with just 20 dollars (if I remember correctly) in her pocket. And she went on to become the world´s greatest living (in my opinion) pop artist. She did do some dubious things on her road to success. When she was short on money, before she had begun to succeed, she posed in the nude on at least one occassion in order to make ends meet. But that is not *so* bad. It was by no means the moral equivalent of prostitution. Madonna was, just like Ayn Rand, an unusually strong woman. And, like Ayn Rand, she was a self-made success. So I actually admire Madonna (although not nearly as much as I admire Ayn Rand, of course).

Two words: Halle Berry!

HalleBerry02.jpgHalleBerry03.jpg