Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stellavision

Feminine beauty

6 posts in this topic

I've been tomboyish most of my life in that I haven't cared much about stuff like makeup, clothes, a great haircut. One of my New Year's resolutions for 2006 was to be less of a frump. And I'm discovering that not only is it wonderful to present my best face to the world, the process of doing so can be fun. (I used to think looking polished was more fuss and bother than I'm willing to deal with, so I didn't even try.)

For example, I got a haircut at a nice salon today (up until about a month ago, my salon of choice was SuperCuts). I cannot tell you how nice it felt to have my hair shampooed by someone else -- she took time over it, massaged my scalp from top to bottom (releasing lots of tension in my muscles in the process), and rubbed into my hair the most wonderful-smelling potions. It was sensual and delicious! Then, I got to see the hairstylist snip and blow-dry my hair, which was a visual treat, and a manicurist did my nails (my salon throws in a free manicure with its haircuts). By "did my nails," I mean "slowly massaged lotion into my hands, buffed and trimmed my nails and cuticles, and polished them." Another sensual treat! Now, if I can only find someone who'll get me comfortable with wearing makeup on a regular basis...

Thanks to the beauticians of the world, who not only make us prettier, but make us feel good while they do it!

Thanks to the beauticians of the world, who not only make us prettier, but make us feel good while they do it!

I definitely agree to that!

For years, I have been parsimonious in spending money for my hair and nails. Until recently, about three years ago, I treat myself, once in a while, for a beauty “treatment. “ And it is sure worth it! Why I have decided to commence this glorious ritual three years ago? Because I got married to the most handsome Objectivist I ever met ;) . I need to keep up with his looks :)

My “hair”felt gratitude to all the great beauticians in the world! Cheers to all of you!

Speaking of beauticians, I wanted to cross-post Carrie’s post about her work and the associated Faulkner Poetic tribute; http://forums.4aynrandfans.com/index.php?s...opic=2920&st=0#

Why I have decided to commence this glorious ritual three years ago? Because I got married to the most handsome Objectivist I ever met ;) . I need to keep up with his looks :)

Lu, that is wonderful! Congratulations! Is the lucky gentleman here?

Now, if I can only find someone who'll get me comfortable with wearing makeup on a regular basis...

We should get together! I’m near you, I’ll send a pm. My trouble is so many makeups disagree with my skin. It’s very expensive to keep trying them and have them not work, and there are so many requirements... but I have some hints on good mascara that I’ve been meaning to visit. It requires a trip to town, Saks I believe. Maybe we could make an expedition.

Also, I’m wangling to get to see Carrie this summer, so we can plot on that.

I’m glad for this thread because I wanted to share my new shoes with you, but I can’t believe they are already out of season so I can’t show a photo! I got them at Aerosoles and I am –very- pleased with the consistent male attention they get. St. Patrick’s day I had a really fun subway ride! LOL None of the shoes are exactly like it now, but instead here’s something similar to a shoe I adored in high school and wore til they wore out. Maybe they’re worth a try-on;

Aerosoles.com Leading Edge 3.25” heel. Summer 2006; the photo/url will surely be obsolete soon, but here are both;

http://store.aerosoles.com/escalate/store/...ret=Sandals+All

000006112.jpg

Lu, that is wonderful!  Congratulations!  Is the lucky gentleman here?

Yes, he is Patrick.

Stellavision,

It's wonderful being a woman isn't it? ;)

Everything about a good salon visit is decadent.

A very selfish indulgence indeed.

Your post was wonderful to hear! It's great to hear feedback from clients and how the experience affected them. I know that's one of the joys I get from my career :)

Now, if I can only find someone who'll get me comfortable with wearing makeup on a regular basis...

If you like, I can definitely help you with any questions about makeup or makeup application you may have. :)

My “hair”felt gratitude to all the great beauticians in the world! Cheers to all of you!

You are most certainly welcome! We have just as much fun performing the services!! ;)

~Carrie~

If you like, I can definitely help you with any questions about makeup or makeup application you may have.  ;)

I just might take you up on that! My problem is that I feel self-conscious with makeup on, and not in a good way. I want to feel, physically, like I'm not wearing any -- when I put on, say, matte lipstick, my lips feel dry to me, and if I put on lip gloss they feel goopy. (So, normally I just use lip balm.) And, if I put on lipstick that's more than a shade or two brighter than my natural lip color, I feel like I have big clown lips when I look in the mirror! I think it might help if I knew how to put on lip liner correctly -- I do notice that when a makeup artist does my makeup, the lip line is perfect and I feel a little conspicuous, but not like I have messy clown lips.

Any advice most welcome! I'm thinking of getting a private lesson from a makeup artist, not so much about colors as about techniques.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0