stellavision

Atlas Shrugged gets mentioned on Jeopardy

12 posts in this topic

Last night, one of the categories on Double Jeopardy was last lines of novels. The category progressed from a $400 question ("Alcott: 'Oh, my girls, my girls, never can I wish you a greater happiness than this!'" -- "What is Little Women?") and so on. I couldn't believe it when the $2000 question turned out to be (forgive me if I am slightly misquoting -- I don't have my copy in front of me): "Rand: '[Galt] raised his hand and traced in the desolate space the sign of the dollar.'" Well, I bet there's not a single person on this board who wouldn't have got that question right! (The first to guess incorrectly chose The Fountainhead.)

Now, we'll REALLY know Objectivism is winning when Ayn Rand gets a $200 question -- that is, when she's so well known that knowledge about her work is considered a giveaway question! ;)

Now, we'll REALLY know Objectivism is winning when Ayn Rand gets a $200 question -- that is, when she's so well known that knowledge about her work is considered a giveaway question!  ;)

Well, in that case, we won a long time ago! :)

Over the many years that Jeopardy has been on television, Miss Rand and her novels have quite a few times been the answer to questions in all the money categories. Aside from the recent one you heard, in the past four years alone The Fountainhead, Atlas Shrugged, and Ayn Rand herself have all been answers, sometimes to fairly interesting questions. One question connected Frank Lloyd Wright to Miss Rand, and another even mentioned "The Strike" as a preliminary title. Alas, this latter went unanswered.

Betsy's Cybernet often carries these mentions, as well as a multitude of others throughout our culture.

There's a relatively new trivia quiz-show on cable, on the Discovery Channel, called "Cash Cab" (weeknights at 6 and 6:30pm EST), in which New York City taxi-cab passengers are quizzed on the way to their destinations. They win money for correct answers, but if they miss three questions, they lose any money they have accumulated, and the driver pulls over and kicks them out. Heh heh. It's a fun show, and though most of the questions are fairly easy, it can be interesting to see what some people do and do not know (which reminds me of another quiz-show, Street Smarts, but that's another story . . .).

Anyway, in an episode a few days ago one question was, "What author's works included The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged?" The contestants were a couple of elderly women, and they had to pull over to the curb to use one of their "shout outs", whereby they are able to enlist the aid of any passerby on the street. They picked a person who happened to know the answer.

CT

There's a relatively new trivia quiz-show on cable, on the Discovery Channel, called "Cash Cab" (weeknights at 6 and 6:30pm EST), in which New York City taxi-cab passengers are quizzed on the way to their destinations.  They win money for correct answers, but if they miss three questions, they lose any money they have accumulated, and the driver pulls over and kicks them out.  Heh heh.  It's a fun show, and though most of the questions are fairly easy, it can be interesting to see what some people do and do not know (which reminds me of another quiz-show, Street Smarts, but that's another story . . .).

Ha! Only in New York. ;)

Anyway, in an episode a few days ago one question was, "What author's works included The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged?"  The contestants were a couple of elderly women, and they had to pull over to the curb to use one of their "shout outs", whereby they are able to enlist the aid of any passerby on the street.  They picked a person who happened to know the answer.

Must have been a tourist. :)

Ha! Only in New York.  ;)

Must have been a tourist.  :)

Ouch ;)

Whenever I watch Jeopardy and there is an Ayn Rand question I get annoyed out of my mind! I'm 15 years old and I know more about here than the people on that show. I mean one time, none of them could name Howard Roark. The Fountainhead is Ayn Rand's most well-known writing and they didn't know the name of the lead character. I read Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead, Anthem, We the Living, The Virtue of Selfishness and The Romantic Manifesto in one semester and these contestants can't name Howard Roark. Sorry for my rant, but really, it's a little sad.

I'm 15 years old and I know more about here than the people on that show.

Sorry that should read "I'm 15 years old and I know more about her than the people on that show" Sorry for the typo. :D

Whenever I watch Jeopardy and there is an Ayn Rand question I get annoyed out of my mind! I'm 15 years old and I know more about here than the people on that show. I mean one time, none of them could name Howard Roark. The Fountainhead is Ayn Rand's most well-known writing and they didn't know the name of the lead character. I read Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead, Anthem, We the Living, The Virtue of Selfishness and The Romantic Manifesto in one semester and these contestants can't name Howard Roark. Sorry for my rant, but really, it's a little sad.

Don't be too hard on them; those poor guys are not often outdone by a precocious 15-year-old. :D

However, I should tell you that you are not the only precocious young person here. Welcome to THE FORUM!

I was on the show last month, and the Final Jeopardy category was "20th Century Women." If ONLY the question had been about Miss Rand! I wouldn't have disappointed you, I promise. :D

There was another question on Jeopardy today mentioning Ayn Rand. In Double Jeopardy I believe it was, in the AUTHORS category, the question was something like "Ayn Rand stated that her favorite contemporary author was this author of (insert title)." I knew it was Mickey Spillane even though I've never read any of his works because I believe Miss Rand mentions him in the Romantic Manifesto and in some of her other writings.

A friend of mine who was watching with me asked "How do you know this stuff?" which made me laugh.