Joss Delage

Emails with thread-specific titles

14 posts in this topic

This forum sends all its notifications under the same title, "Your daily new posts digest ( From THE FORUM for Ayn Rand Fans )". My experience with other forums is that there's a way for those mails to include the thread title.

Since the information given by the current title is already captured by the "From:" address, would it not be possible to modify the forum's settings so that each thread's notification be titled with the thread's name?

For example, if someone responds to this mail I will get an email that says:

"From: THE FORUM for Ayn Rand Fans <stephen@speicher.com>

Subject: Your daily new posts digest ( From THE FORUM for Ayn Rand Fans )"

It would be much more efficient to use that space to say:

"From: THE FORUM for Ayn Rand Fans <stephen@speicher.com>

Subject: Emails with thread-specific titles"

Thanks,

Joss

This forum sends all its notifications under the same title, "Your daily new posts digest ( From THE FORUM for Ayn Rand Fans )".

If you go to your control panel by clicking on "My Controls," and then click on "Email Settings," in the pull-down menu under "Enable 'Email Notification' by default?," you can select "Immediate Email Notification" instead of the digest you now receive. These individual posts contain the topic title.

Thanks Stephen.

You're welcome.

I never received the "digest" version so I was not aware of the detailed format. If indeed the topic title is missing from each post, then that is unfortunate. I'll pass that information on to the software developers.

You're welcome.

I never received the "digest" version so I was not aware of the detailed format. If indeed the topic title is missing from each post, then that is unfortunate. I'll pass that information on to the software developers.

The title isn't missing from the body of the mail, it's just not in the email title.

The title isn't missing from the body of the mail, it's just not in the email title.

Unfortunately, it also isn't in the e-mail title/subject when you select the setting "Immediate E-mail Notification." This is the setting that I use, and when I receive an e-mail notification the subject is always: "Topic Subscription Reply Notification ( From THE FORUM for Ayn Rand Fans )" I agree with Joss that it would be preferable if the name of the thread was mention in the e-mail subject of the e-mail notification.

I would like to throw in my voice of support to that too. It makes it very hard to tell if it is a topic I am interested in replies ASAP when I get my e-mail subjects downloaded on my RSS feed.

That is another thing I would like, the forum to have it's own RSS feed so it is easy to monitor new posts. ;)

Unfortunately, it also isn't in the e-mail title/subject when you select the setting "Immediate E-mail Notification." This is the setting that I use, and when I receive an e-mail notification the subject is always: "Topic Subscription Reply Notification ( From THE FORUM for Ayn Rand Fans )" I agree with Joss that it would be preferable if the name of the thread was mention in the e-mail subject of the e-mail notification.

Apparently I misunderstood Joss' original point, but I think it is clear to me now. Short of someone modifying the code that produces the email notifications, I'll pass along my clearer understanding to the developers.

That is another thing I would like, the forum to have it's own RSS feed so it is easy to monitor new posts. ;)

Last time this was mentioned I noted that there is an RSS interface facility in the software, but I asked for help from someone knowledgeable about this before activating it. I do not want my ignorance to be the cause of sending out on an RSS feed more or less of what should be sent. Well, less would not be so bad, but I would not want material disseminated that should not be.

Stephen - what software is the forum based on? I'm pretty sertain I've seen similar forums with this functionality enabled, and maybe I can ask around...

JD

Stephen - what software is the forum based on?  I'm pretty sertain I've seen similar forums with this functionality enabled, and maybe I can ask around...

Invision Power Board v2.0.4

Hmm... Nope, it looks like the other boards I'm on are not the same software. Funny how they all have basically the same look & feel...

I know a lot about RSS feeds in general. Perhaps I can take a look at it? Which info do you want sent on the RSS?