jedymastyr

Previewing a post with a quote at the end

8 posts in this topic

When I am creating a post, I frequently use the "Preview Post" feature (which I love) to make sure everything looks right as I continue. Occasionally, after inserting a quote, I press the button immediately without writing any text below. As a result of this, I have been having a particular problem in viewing the previewed page. When previewing a post with a quote at the VERY bottom, without any text after it, not even a "return"/newline, the previewed post disappears upon scrolling down. Here's two screenshots of me previewing a post in the testing section of The Forum with the quote at the very bottom:

From the top, with the quote at the bottom in view:

preview1.jpg

After scrolling down, the quote (and the rest of the post preview) vanishes:

preview2.jpg

(If those pictures don't load, it's probably because my server (in my home) is having one problem or another, which happens quite frequently when I'm playing around with it... If this is happening soon after this post was made, the images should return later when I fix the problem.)

I tested the preview function some to see exactly when this happens and when it doesn't. In fact, it took me several times of encountering the error before I realized it only occurs when the quote is at the very bottom (a newline frequently being at the end after the end quote tag made this initially seem inconsistent). In addition, I tested it in Firefox and it doesn't seem to have the same problem as in IE. Also, after making the actual post the problem goes away even in IE. I am not entirely sure, but I have the impression that it is some problem in the way the post is translated into html that encounters a difference in interpretation between Firefox and IE. In the actual post, unlike the preview, there is some more information in the light blue post box below the bottom of the post (namely the line with the Report, Quote, Reply, etc. buttons). I am assuming that this extra stuff at the bottom is preventing the problem from occurring once the post is actually made.

I don't know if this is something you have the power to change or the desire to investigate. If you are able to reproduce the problem and wish to change it, I don't know exactly what the problem is for sure so I don't know entirely how to fix it. However, if it's particularly difficult to sort out the html, I may have one easy way to solve it. Putting an (unclickable) image of the "PCARD, PM, REPRT, UP, QUOTE, REPLY" button line (which appears under all submitted posts) at the bottom of previewed posts would both ensure that there is something in the box under a quote at the end and more accurately simulate what the post will look like once it is submitted.

I would like to add something I should have included in the original post. I don't consider this "problem" a big deal, I am probably the only one who has ever had this problem, and I now add newlines after quotes when previewing so I don't encounter it anymore. If nothing else, this post could serve as a way for other people to find out how to avoid the same problem by pressing enter to make an extra line after adding a quote at the bottom of a post.

I have the same problem. I just hit the return or enter button after the closing bracketted quote and the problem goes away. I think that is it should be fixed in the software.

If nothing else, this post could serve as a way for other people to find out how to avoid the same problem by pressing enter to make an extra line after adding a quote at the bottom of a post.

Thanks for applying your considerable investigative skills to identifying and isolating this problem. If I understand you correctly in your detailed description, it seems as if this problem is rarely encountered by most (quote at end of post, certain browser, only in "Preview," etc.) and easily overcome by adding a line after the quote. We'd probably expend a greater effort in finding and changing the proper code (and possibly make things worse), than just applying your fix, so I'm inclined to just say "thanks" for identifying the problem and alerting others to such a simple fix.

------------

so I'm inclined to just say "thanks" for identifying the problem and alerting others to such a simple fix.

I went to the doctor and said, "Doc, it hurts when I do this." He told me, "Don't do that!!!"

;)

I'm sorry, I meant to reply to this post before but I lost track of it and forgot.

We'd probably expend a greater effort in finding and changing the proper code (and possibly make things worse), than just applying your fix,

That sounds like the best way to deal with the problem. It sounds like only 2 people have been affected by it, it's very limited and it's easy to deal with.

so I'm inclined to just say "thanks" for identifying the problem and alerting others to such a simple fix.

Thanks for having such a great forum ;)

That sounds like the best way to deal with the problem. It sounds like only 2 people have been affected by it, it's very limited and it's easy to deal with.

Has the problem has gone away with the new software update?

Thanks for having such a great forum ;)

You're welcome. We have so many great members!

Has the problem has gone away with the new software update?

-----------

Initial tests indicate that the problem does not occur anymore. I'll let you know if it recurs.

Paul