PRN

Photography

243 posts in this topic

I thought it would be nice to start a thread where members could place photos they have taken.

Here is one I took of downtown Portland:

post-54-1109147936_thumb.jpg

Here's a shot from a few years ago in Redondo Beach, CA. I only got three shots before the hummingbird flew away. I used a 300mm lens on a 35mm camera to get this.

--HH

post-183-1109222738_thumb.jpg

I used a 300mm lens on a 35mm camera to get this.

post-183-1109222738_thumb.jpg

Nice compostion both color-wise and in the placement of the subject.

Did you do any cropping or other editing after you took the picture?

Nice compostion both color-wise and in the placement of the subject.

Did you do any cropping or other editing after you took the picture?

I'm not 100% percent sure, but I think this is uncropped. If I did crop it, it was a mild cropping. As for the colors, they are exactly as the scene appeared when I shot it. I simply scanned in the negative, but made no color enhancements after that.

All of the elements lined up: the sun, the hummingbird, the ocean in the background ... I rushed upstairs to get my camera. (This was in my backyard when I lived in RB -- gawd I miss that townhouse!) When I got back downstairs, I got off three frames (at four frames per second) before the bird flitted away. I set the exposure to program mode on the camera (a Nikon N90s) hoping that the software was "smart" enough to figure out that I wanted the bird to be in silhouette. My gamble paid off.

I first learned photography shooting sports in high school and then in college at two big sports campuses. I've always loved the thrill of catching fleeting moments that last seconds or even milliseconds.

If this thread stays alive, I'll post something more deliberately shot.

--HH

This is a picture my wife took of my son & me goofing around in the back yard this past fall. Because we are first-time parents anytime I see or hear the word "photo" I immediately think, "Hey! I've got pictures of my kid! Can I show them to you?!"

post-121-1109360417_thumb.jpg

This is a picture my wife took of my son & me goofing around in the back yard this past fall.  Because we are first-time parents anytime I see or hear the word "photo" I immediately think, "Hey!  I've got pictures of my kid!  Can I show them to you?!"

post-121-1109360417_thumb.jpg

Great picture! It is easy to tell you like being a dad.

Your son's smile and hair remind me of my son, Matthew, when he was about the same age.

post-1-1109369578_thumb.jpg

(Sorry for the poor picture quality. Something happened to all our website pictures. Digital images should not degrade, but ...)

Great picture! It is easy to tell you like being a dad.

Your son's smile and hair remind me of my son, Matthew, when he was about the same age.

Thanks I love it too. I LOVE being a dad. It is so gratifying, amazing, wonderful!!!

Every morning it hits me all over again...We have a kid! We are raising a brand new individual, unique, irreplaceable person!

Thanks also for sharing the pic of your beautiful son. You're right. They both have that golden hair (Ethan got his from mommy...obviously) & irresistable, charming smile.

I LOVE being a dad.  It is so gratifying, amazing, wonderful!!!

The best part is ... it gets bettter and better. Just when you think "nothing can beat this," he grows and changes a bit and suddenly it is a whole new world. There is nothing quite like being a part of the growth and development of someone you love, son and wife alike.

I really like the hummingbird picture. :o

Here is a picture I took in Sunnyvale, CA:

post-55-1109392815_thumb.jpg

*sigh* Makes me want to be in California every time I look at it.

Here's some pictures I took while in California:

Golden Gate

goldengatesmall.jpg

Caltech

caltechsmall.jpg

LA

lasmall.jpg

Marina Del Rey

marinasmall.jpg

Greetings!

After seeing Mr. Stauffer's post (the pics did not make it into the quote box) of 24 Feb, I decided to combine an introduction with a photo.

Hi there. I'm Daryl McKamey, aka mcvideo. Life for me, recently, has not been like the bucolic scene portrayed in the above referenced post:

Cheers,

mcvideo

If this thread stays alive, I'll post something more deliberately shot.

It took long enough, but I finally found the CD with the photo I was referring to on it.

post-183-1117602157_thumb.jpg

I shot this while hiking in Bryce Canyon, Utah. I spent a good half an hour trying to get the exposure just right, taking multiple spot meter measurements. I'm happy with the results.

I shot this on Agfa Scala, which is a black and white slide film that is most used by fashion photographers. I can see why: I did not use any filters for this shot and the sky did not bleach out.

A sunrise I took outside my front door one morning:

sunrise01.jpg

New York City:

nyc21.jpg

The manmade and the natural at Bushkill Falls, PA:

bushkill15.jpg

Here are few images I've shot with my relatively new Nikon D70. I've had it about 2 months now and love it.

dsc1424hiquality0hz.th.jpg

dsc1445med2gt.th.jpg

dsc2532med7as.th.jpg

dsc2385med20ar.th.jpg

dsc2626med0sq.th.jpg

this last one is of my dad and grandfather doing a home improvement project this past weekend. This pic was very satisfying to my family since it shows how much my grandfather wants to be involved in these projects even though his stamina no longer enables him to do much of the physical labor (though it doesn't stop him from trying). I didn't tell him to get in pic, he stood right over my dad the entire day.

(Sorry for the poor picture quality. Something happened to all our website pictures. Digital images should not degrade, but ...)

Try saving your images as *.tif files

JPG and GIF files are "lossy" file types, which means that they lose some quality with every save. TIF & EPS files are "lossless." There's no hope for the pictures that have already gone bad, but that's a tip for the future.

Try saving your images as *.tif files

JPG and GIF files are  "lossy" file types, which means that they lose some quality with every save. TIF & EPS files are "lossless." There's no hope for the pictures that have already gone bad, but that's a tip for the future.

Yes, thanks. Several people wrote to inform me. I have reprimanded my archivist. :D

When I save a picture, I have no option to save it as a .tif file. The only options I have are .jpg and .bmp

Do I need to purchase some software? What must I do to have this option?

Adorable!

There was a nest of feral black kittens outside the kung fu school I used to attend. The first picture is the mother; the second is one of the kittens, who let me get fairly close:

kungfukittens02.jpg

kungfukittens04.jpg

When I save a picture, I have no option to save it as a .tif file. The only options I have are .jpg and .bmp

Do I need to purchase some software? What must I do to have this option?

I use Adobe Photoshop. The full version is kind of pricey. Like $550, if I remember correctly. I believe they have "stripped-down" versions available for home users at a much lower price.

www.adobe.com

The BMP file format is lossless so it is safe to save in that for archiving stuff.

GIF is an ancient format designed for an older generation of computers. If the image has less than 256 colours(what it was designed for), it is lossless but if it has more than 256 colours, you lose image quality since it has to drop some colous to be able to store it. Generally GIF is good for cartoon or a lot of hand drawn images but really sucks for stuff like photos. Generally you lose image quality on the first save but not on the subsequent file saves since at that point, it is already converted.

JPG, nice for keeping file sizes down while maintaining visual quality for web viewing but like the previous poster said, you lose image quality with each save.

JPG, nice for keeping file sizes down while maintaining visual quality for web viewing but like the previous poster said, you lose image quality with each save.

The technique that I've found useful is to always remember to store a "read only" master copy that you never touch. Any further manipulations of the image, whether resizing, converting to a different lossy format, sharpening, etc., should be treated as a file to be used only once, for an intended context (CD-ROM, web page, etc.) If you rigorously follow this rule, you won't do things such as resizing or resharpening twice, etc., which will lead to their own type of quality loss.

I wouldn't say that it's automatically bad to have your master copy be high quality JPEG if you follow the above rule, unless the sort of pictures you're taking need to capture every last smidgen of visual quality (such as Lee Sanstead's shots of art.) On the other hand, hard disks are vast now, so it's much less of a storage issue than it used to be.

In contrast to my last shot, which was purely natural, I offer the the mand made: Brian Binnie wining the X-Prize.

Buildings may be inspirational, but true moment of heroism are fleeting.

post-183-1117882028_thumb.jpg