redfarmer

Favorite Music?

148 posts in this topic

What kind of music does everyone on this forum listen to?

I have listened to rock music for years, especially bands like T.rex, Eric Clapton, Radiohead, Coldplay, Elliott Smith, and The Killers.

I also like a lot of classical music. My favorite is Rachmaninoff.

I am also developing a liking for jazz. My favorite jazz musicians are Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, and John Coltrane.

I am finding lately that my tastes in music are rapidly changing. I used to love metal bands like Metallica but I find myself barely able to tolerate them now.

I'm a rock fan from way back, mostly "classic" rock: Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, etc. But I'm far from limited to that - there are almost 350 artists in my music library, from Barenaked Ladies to Bill Conti to George Fordant to Reel Big Fish to The Empty Hats and more. In classical music I love Beethoven and Mozart, but my favorite has always been Bach ("The Musical Offering" is a special favorite). I've just recently begun listening to Rachmaninoff.

I am finding lately that my tastes in music are rapidly changing. I used to love metal bands like Metallica but I find myself barely able to tolerate them now.

My primary reaction to music is sense-of-life. For example, there's a Christian artist named Phil Keaggy whose album, "The Master and the Musician," I think is wonderful despite its religious orientation (the fact that its all instrumental helps a lot, though :o). There are also cases where I now can't stand music I once enjoyed. John Lennon's "Imagine" is the best example of that - I had no conscious philosophy when it first came out and I liked it then, but no more, not even on a sense-of-life level. While there are some artists I dislike overall (in rock, Foreigner comes to mind - yukko), generally I go by individual pieces. And I try to judge the music on its own merit, without regard to other aspects of an artist's life. Sting, for example, has done a lot of good stuff, even though his politics are moronic.

Music is very important to me. I always have something playing. I am also the world's best singer that no one has ever heard - in the car, safe from actual audiences, I am unmatched. :D

I listen to classical, jazz, old rock and roll (1950s, early 60s), and some pop. A favorite from each category is Rachmaninoff, Dave Brubeck, Earth Angel (Penguins), and Frank Sinatra.

But, I would like to draw attention to a local group I discovered in recent years. Until I heard Benise I never had a real appreciation for the Spanish guitar. This group, however, blends the traditional Spanish guitar with a wide variety of extremely rich sounds, resulting in beautiful and exciting music. When they play in a larger venue than small clubs, they put on a spectacular concert with exquisite costumes, exciting dancers, and Cirque performers. Try any one of their CDs -- they are all great.

My favorite music is Smooth Jazz. Some of my favorite artists in that genre are George Benson, Dave Koz, Brian Culbertson, The Rippingtons and David Benoit. I also enjoy Rock music from the 60's and 70's especially the British Invasion artists.

More than anything though I love good melodies. If I can get that in music, I don't much care what type it is.

Beethoven (of course) is my absolute favorite.

I also love Tchaikovski, Liszt & Rachmaninoff. Classical performers include Murray Perahia, Alfred Brendel, Josef Bulva, Vladmir Horowitz, Andres Segovia, & Eliot Fisk.

In jazz my favorites are Gershwin & Ellington (composition & performance). Jazz performers include Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, Joe Pass & the amazing Art Tatum.

In pop music favorites include some Beatles, Beach Boys, Roth-era Van Halen, early Billy Joel, Rush, Yngwie Malmsteen (only the instrumentals, thank you!), the Police (Sting really is good pop song writer).

More than anything though I love good melodies.  If I can get that in music, I don't much care what type it is.

Me too!

Here's a real treat for melody-lovers and those who appreciate rich, complex, sensual, dramatic compositions. Give a listen to New Age composer and performer David Arkenstone (click here).

A good introduction to Arkenstone is the Chronicles CD surveying his early work (click here). Click on and listen to excerpts of my favorites: Southern Cross, The Rug Merchants, Glory (an anthem he wrote for the Olympics), Out of the Forest and into the Trees, and Borderlands. (Papillion is fantastically wonderful, but the except on the web site doesn't do it justice.)

My absolute favorite is the music of Chopin.

Among the musical styles I enjoy are classical, jazz, and some rock.

I'll also mention that I'm a big Monkees fan. It's one of those things that's a little embarrassing to admit, but I just love 'em. :o

I'll also mention that I'm a big Monkees fan.

I don't really think of them as a "favorite" per se, BUT, I grew up watching their TV show & loved it.

They did have some good tunes: "I'm a Believer" (written by Neil Diamond!), "Papa Gene's Blues", "Mary, Mary", etc.

Last Xmas my wife got me the DVD boxed set of their first season episodes. It was a LOT of fun to re-discover. &, as a bonus, my 2 yrd old son loves it too! We watch together & sing all the songs!

Although my music collection runs the gamut (2,300+ CD's), my true love is 80's music especially New Wave. I'm drawn to this decade in music because it is eclectic, intelligent, passionate, and on the whole very happy and benevolent music.

I've just subscribed to Napster To Go and I must say that it has my musical appetite in an uproar! Unlimited music for a low price and they have a nice library (this is coming from someone who regularly has a hard time finding titles on my list).

I'm moody about music. My favorites include Enigma, Allison Krauss and my favorite piece of music is from Tomaso Albinoni, Adagio in G.

But I also like Cold Play and other bands that date me - like Siouxsie and the Banshees, New Order etc... :o

I've recently gotten into Rush as a *retro* band. :D I also like Avril Lavigne.

Rachmaninoff is excellent of course. John Williams, who did the soundracks for the Harry Potter movies (but isn't doing them any more) did a very good job, and I like to listen to those on occasion as well as some LOTR stuff. The Tolkein Ensemble does some nice adaptaions of the songs Tolkein actually wrote, not just the stuff they made up for the movie. :o

These are some of my favorites:

Classical:

Rachmaninoff Symphonies 2 and 3, Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, - for sheer beauty of melody and lushness of orchestration (especially the slow movements).

Shostakovich - Symphony 5 – for motivic and formal integration, thematic content, lyricism, great climaxes. Integration on a large scale.

Sebelius Symphony 2 – Beauty - Integration on a large scale. Great climatic points.

William Walton's Crown Imperial March – Inspiring and uplifting.

Benjamin Britten's Fugue from the Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra. A wonderful tonal fugue written in the 20th Century.

Beethoven's Walstein Sonata, 1st Movement – Amazing harmonic and thematic integration. Nothing could be added to or taken away from this piece of music.

Mozart's Marriage of Figaro Overture – Tight seamless structure, joyous mood.

Howard Hansen: Nordic Symphony, Second Movement, Andante teneramente, con semplicita- Beautiful, lush, 20th Century Romanticism (bordering on Impressionism)

Movie Music:

Spartacus by Alex North, The Magnificent Seven by Elmer Bernstein (He has a great CD entitled Bernstein Conducts Bernstein), The Four Horsemen of The Apocalypse by Andre Previn, Ice Station Zebra by Michel Legrand, Laura by David Raskin and Bernard Herman.

Jazz:

Bill Evans, Chick Corea, Michel Petrucciani, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Stan Getz, Dave Brubeck, J.J. Johnson, Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers, Horace Silver, Wayne Shorter

Big Bands:

Later albums of Count Basie & Woody Herman - Stan Kenton, Maynard Ferguson (on Roulette) Recent: Bob Curnow and the L.A. Jazz Orchestra the Music of Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays

I use Real.com's Rhapsody download service. For $9.50 a month you can listen to anything in their library while online, as many times as you want. You can organize your online listening library by artist, composer, title, album, or by your own listening lists of favorites. CD burning is .75 per track. They have a direct link to Amazon if you want to purchase CD's. It's a great service!

Gmartin

If its not too much trouble, could those who posted their favorite pop and jazz artists please include some specific recordings in addition to the artist's name? A lot of artists, over their careers, produce music that varies greatly in style and quality so it woud be nice to have some specific recommendations.

For discovering music, I like the features on Amazon and cdconnection that recommend music similar or related to what you are viewing/listening to. I've found a lot of great music that way. Surfing by genre is useful too.

Favorite Music

I forgot to include:

Bach:

The Well-Tempered Clavier - This is a two-volume set of a preludes and fugues in every major and minor key. This ingenius work helped to establish the major and minor system of tonality in used Western Music, and confirmed that equal temperment would work for the keyboard, allowing for playing in all twelve major and minor keys (as opposed to the old system of "just" temperment where scales were based on the naturally occuring partials of the overtone series).

Vivaldi:

The Four Seasons

Fugue from Concerto Grosso in D minor, op. 2. no. 11

Bach was said to have been fascinated by this fugue and had made a study of it. It had originally been attributed to him. (from notes on the score published for concert band, Concerto Grosso, by Chappell & Company, 1968, transcribed by John Cacavas)

Palestrina:

Pope Marcellus Mass

Josquin Des Prés:

Ave Maria (virgo serena)

These are two beautiful pieces from the Renaissance

GMartin

I absolutley LOVE the Spanish guitar. My favourite artist for this type of music is Jesse Cook. I have all his albums. They are fantastic.

My favorite groups/ artists also include Delerium, Conjure One, Enigma, Enya, Yanni, Oka, Sade and a variety of eighties.

I also love classical music. I don't have any favorites as of yet, but I do like Vivaldi, Beethoven and Mozart.

This list isn’t ranked but is somewhat ordered by the type of music.

Soundtrack from Top Gun - Best OST of all time :o

Scorpions and Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra – highly recommended

Metallica and Symphony

Tchaikovski

Antonín Dvorak

John Williams

Rhapsody (not Robert Wells) – sort of ‘medieval rock’; it tells a story

Hammerfall – similar to Rhapsody but different style and songs are more stand alone.

Ace of Base – great for waking up to in the morning

Chemical Brothers - great for sleeping in the evening

ATC – Around the world; glibnness

Akino Arai – favorite Japanese artist

Phantom of the Opera – original cast recording (Sarah Brightman)

If its not too much trouble, could those who posted their favorite pop and jazz artists please include some specific recordings in addition to the artist's name?

Let me list the 21 songs and artists in my Top Playlist in the Windows Media Player:

The Game of Love - Michelle Branch and Carlos Santana

Ventura Highway - America

Can't Hide Love - Wayman Tisdale

See You in September - The Happenings

Cherish - The Association

Fool (If you think it's over) - Chris Rea

Breezin' - George Benson

Smooth - Rob Thomas and Carlos Santana

My Cherie Amour - Stevie Wonder

Carribean Dream - Bryan Savage

Up, Up and Away - The 5th Dimension

Ai No Corrida - Quincy Jones

What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong

25 or 6 to 4 - Chicago

These Dreams - Heart

Mambo No. 5 - Lou Bega

Wade in the Water - Ramsey Lewis

Along Comes Mary - The Association

Til There Was You - The Beatles

Pacific Coast Highway - Bryan Savage

Stars - Bryan Savage

Let me list the 21 songs and artists in my Top Playlist in the Windows Media Player:

[...]What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong

I NEVER tire of listening to this. What a great song this is.

[...]What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong

Ditto. I remember the first time I seriously listened to this piece, it gave me hope. Louis Armstrong was such an amazing musician. Another of my favorite pieces from him is "A Fine Romance" with Ella Fitzgerald.

If its not too much trouble, could those who posted their favorite pop and jazz artists please include some specific recordings in addition to the artist's name?

My favorite music is Smooth Jazz.  Some of my favorite artists in that genre are George Benson, Dave Koz, Brian Culbertson, The Rippingtons and David Benoit. 

As to these specific artists let me recommend the following songs:

George Benson:

Breezin'

On Broadway

Give Me the Night

Love Ballad

Dave Koz:

Careless Whisper

The Bright Side

Can't Let You Go

Let It Free

Brian Culbertson:

So Good

On My Mind

Secrets

You'll Never Find

The Rippingtons:

Club Paradiso

Carribean Breeze

South Beach Mambo

Rhythm of Your Life

David Benoit:

Cast Your Fate to the Wind

Drive Time

Linus and Lucy

M.W.A. (Musicians with Attitude)

Ditto. I remember the first time I seriously listened to this piece, it gave me hope. Louis Armstrong was such an amazing musician. Another of my favorite pieces from him is "A Fine Romance" with Ella Fitzgerald.

Wow! I am impressed. It really is nice to see younger people who know about and enjoy some of the older classics.

This took a little bit of thought for me to compile a short list of all time absolute favorites.

Tomaso Albinoni: Adagio in G Minor

Enigma: Gravity of Love

Allison Krauss: I Will (originally written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney)

Heart: Dog and Butterfly

Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks: Landslide

Blue Rodeo/Rodney Crowell: Till I Can Gain Control

And for days when I’m feeling completely silly… The Fendermen: Mule Skinner Blues. I can sing this one really well! :o

Art Tatum Solo Masterpieces on TowerRecords

Tatum's Pablo Solo Recordings

There are 8 in the set, so, this might be a better option for anyone interested in getting started.

Best of the Tatum Pablo Masterpieces

There is also a set of "Group Masterpieces" (one has Ben Webster playing sax-wow, luscious!) But my favorites are these solo CDs. Tatum has all the time & space in the world to work his brilliance. If you've never heard Tatum before, please, at least listen to the samples. That guy was "jaw-dropping" good. He was acquainted with Horowitz, who also found his technique incredible. Now that's a compliment!

Joe Pass Virtuoso search on TowerRecords

Pass's Pablo Virtuoso 1

This is the first of (I think) 4 in this series. Being a guitarist myself, Pass is the gold-standard in jazz. His ability to orchestrate a whole tune on his own easily approaches, if not matches, the level of classical guitarists to play melody, chord accompaniment, counterpoint, etc. all at the same time & do it beautifully. Just listen to the samples! Wow.

These guys were such amazing geniuses.