redfarmer

Favorite Music?

148 posts in this topic

Even the Stones have done some romantic songs, eg, Ruby Tuesday.

The Stones are probably my all around favorite for "rock" (I only like 3 groups for the most part). I'd like to add to that list of Stones songs: Loving Cup, Angie, Wild Horses, Waiting on a Friend, Mixed Emotions, Miss You.

Sense of life-wise, they go all over the map; from the morbidly despondent Sister Morphine, to the very upbeat Mixed Emotions. And they have some of the most positive one-liners in music.

As an aside I appreciate Keith Richard's reply to people that want to "sample" their music (you know the modern "artists" that don't play instruments) after suing somebody that did: "Make your own damn music."

I just left Classical Music Archives. I listened to the midi version of the finale of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake. What drama, excitement, power, pride and joy! I highly recommend it for an intensely real spiritual experience.

I just left Classical Music Archives.

www.classicalarchives.com is one of very favorite sites! You can sign up as a free member & listen to as much as you want (some MIDI versions; some streaming mp3 of real performances).

All those MIDI files & a sequencer that is decent enough to open a notation (or piano roll) interface & the entire world of classical music is right in front of your eyes on the screen to study. Fantastic!

Back in the early 90's when I got into sequencing I spent HOURS (hell, DAYS!) entering MIDI data from scores in order to learn from Beethoven, Haydn, Bach, Mozart. About 6-7 years ago I stumbled onto this site (I think back then it was prs.net or something?). I thought "OMG! The mother lode!"

They have maintained a very high standard of quality & continually add new material. A word of caution, if you use the MIDI files for study purposes you might have to check all available versions of a piece. Some people work "inside" the parameters of the sequencer; some people just use a sequencer to record their MIDI performance, so, nothing lines up & this makes it ridiculously difficult to use for study purposes.

I hope to be a musician someday--once I figure out what my full abilities are.

The musician I admire most of all is Maura Davis who is the singer/guitarist of Denali and Bella Lea. Denali has been described as "sexy spy music" and Jasper Coolidge of jenyk.com wrote: "Seeing Denali live - like Requiem for a Dream, wherever you were for the millennium, and standing on top of the Empire State - is an experience who's description doesn't really lend itself to words or even pictures. But that's what I do here, so I'll give it a shot." (Found here.) I missed a Denali concert by 4 days (they broke up) last year.

I got to see a Bella Lea concert, however, this past February--it was an amazing experience. I even got to meet and have a demo CD signed by Maura Davis herself who was the most beautiful girl alive that night (for me, at least.)

Denali's music is easier to find (their demo has been released by their record company, jadetree.com, listed under the "Extras" section.) Bella Lea is newer and will be releasing an EP this summer.

Next to Maura Davis's projects, there are many, many, many other bands I enjoy. Elliott Smith, Calexico, The Caulfield Sisters, Rainer Maria, Mogwai, Rachel's, Engine Down, Sparta, Blur, Tom Waits, and many more.

Unfortunately I feel numb to most classical music, even with study of it for a few years now--I simply don't feel exhilaration from Rachmaninoff (but I will acknowledge that his work is absolutely amazing.)

I enjoy Erik Satie, and I'm learning to play Gymnopedie No. 3 on the piano. Also Chopin's Prelude No. 4 is in the works. Beyond that I look to some of Gabriel Faure's music.

Thanks for the replies to my comments on rock romanticism, etc.

I'm awaiting some recordings of Tropicalia, ie, the genre of Brazilian psychedelic music made in the ab fab 60s.

Yeah Tom, I like Denali too. They've been on my iPod for a while, but I actually forgot about them. Thanks for jogging my memory. I only have one song (Hold Your Breath), so it was pretty easy to forget about them. They are quite good though. Maura Davis has an awesome voice. What other bands do you like, besides the ones you mentioned above? The only one I've heard of is Sparta, but I only have one of their songs (Vacant Skies) also.

I enjoy many, many bands. My new favorite is The Academy Is. Ever heard of 'em?

Zak

Music I like to listen to....

I like much music that was written before 1900 and is loosely called "classical". I prefer the sound of instruments over voice. Some of my favorites are:

Beethoven - especially his symphonies 5, 6 and 8. I've heard some Objectivists say they find his music to be somehow malevolent; I don't.

The symphonies of Mozart and Haydn.

Much Baroque music. Vivaldi stands out here - I don't believe I've ever heard a concerto he wrote that I don't like. Good examples of his music that I like are his bassoon concertos.

Probably my favorite of the "old" music is J.S. Bach's organ music. This music I've always found to be quite moving and heroic - especially his large-scale works, for example, the Toccata and Fugue in F major, and the Toccata, Adagio and Fugue in C major. I find the sound of organ pipes very pleasant, especially large ensembles of them. Truly the "king of instruments".

But the music I like best is band organ (carrousel organ) music.

A band organ is a small automatic organ (usually played by perforated paper rolls) consisting mostly of wood organ pipes, and also often bells, drums, cymbals and other percussion instruments. They are loud instruments. They were mostly manufactured before about 1930, and were used to provide music for carrousels, skating rinks, dance halls and other amusements. The ones I like best were manufactured in the US by the Wurlitzer company. Most of the music I listen to on them is the popular tunes of those days - this includes, but is not limited to, marches and some waltzes. Those of us who like band organ music often refer to it as "the happiest music on earth". Why I like it is undoubtedly a combination of the sound of the instrument, the benevolent popular music of the time, and how the arrangers transcribed these tunes to the paper rolls.

There's so much band organ music that I love, but if I had to choose favorites, they would be Fairest of the Fair (Sousa), General Pershing March

(Vandersloot) and Waves of the Danube (Ivanovici), as arranged for a Wurlitzer 165 organ. These really bring out the best in the instrument.

(Interestingly, when I saw the movie Ayn Rand, a Sense of Life, an example they used of music she liked was He'd Have to Get Out, Get Out and Get Under (to Work on his Automobile). I recognized this tune immediately - it is the sort that one would hear played on a band organ, and I've heard it many times. Delightful music! Of course, it sounds a lot different on a band organ than on the record they used in the movie.)

I like AC/DC, Van Halen, Kiss, Aerosmith,Rush, Gun N' Roses, and all the band that were in 70's, 80's and some 90's bands. My favorite song is T.N.T by AC/DC. :D

Rush=greatness^10

Other bands I like: Bob MarleyB), The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Seal, Beastie Boys, Harry Belafonte, I have to put Iron Maiden on here just because of songs like 'Alexander the Great' and 'Phantom of the Opera', Sting and the Police, Jimi Hendrix, Smashing Pumpkins. All I listen to on the radio though is Jazz and Classical.

What kind of music does everyone on this forum listen to?

...I am finding lately that my tastes in music are rapidly changing. I used to love metal bands like Metallica but I find myself barely able to tolerate them now.

These days I mostly listen to "classic rock" (CCR, Rolling Stones, Who, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, AC/DC, etc) on the radio when I'm in the car. At home I listen to all the rock stuff that I like which isn't on the radio. Bands like: Radio Birdman, The Bellrays, Jesse Malin, Husker Du, The Modern Lovers, The High Speed Scene, Groovie Ghoulies, and more. I've also started listening to a small amount of Jazz and classical in the last few years. I really enjoy Lionel Hampton's music.

I spent a great deal of my life listening to very angry, aggressive music like punk rock and some metal as well. Anyone that grew up in the kind of household like I did should be able to understand why I was ragingly pissed off all of the time. But as I've gotten older and gotten my head together I don't want anything negative like that in my life, so I can understand what you mean about barely being able to tolerate the stuff like Metallica.

A really wonderful documentary I just watched on DVD a few days ago is called "Tom Dowd & The Language Of Music". I highly recommend this great film about a hugely important and influencial music producer whose career spanned several decades (when he wasn't working on the Manhattan Project during WWII!). He was responsible for making great albums with Ray Charles, Eric Clapton, John Coltrane, Otis Redding, Cream, Lynard Skynyrd, Aretha Franklin and many more incredible musicians. Check it out. B)

Some of my favorite music is Usher, Queen, Guns and Roses, Will Smith, some jazz, and some classical rock. So I like many different styles of music B)

Oooh ... I've got a wide variety of tastes in music. Not many genres as a whole I dislike. The biggest music dislikes = Weather Channel music, transition music on NPR, and music played while I'm on hold. :D

I like Andrew Lloyd Webber's work, particularly the Phantom of the Opera. I have the original cast recording with Sarah Brightman, which is wonderful.

Mike Oldfield - awesome music, very moving.

Enigma - very emotional and passionate. :D

Meat Loaf does some great stuff - some funny, some sad, some love songs. Despite being panned by VH1, "I'd Do Anything for Love" is one of my faves. Just starting to listen to some Pink Floyd and I like it so far.

90's alt rock and some pop - Barenaked Ladies, The Goo Goo Dolls, and best of all Savage Garden :D

Country - George Strait and Keith Urban

Big Band era music is pretty good too. I like some jazz and a lot of classical music, my fave is Dvorak's "New World" symphony. :D

Let me stress on the 90's pop, that I can't stand teen music ... no Britney Spears and that type. :\

Some of my top favorite composers: Sergei Rachmaninoff, Franz Drdla, Emerich Kalman, Franz Lehar, Gustav Mahler, and Frederick Chopin.

Some of my favorite recent (post- 1950's) bands: Felt (amazing guitars!), Cocteau Twins (their later stuff), Pink Floyd, Lush (their earlier stuff), My Bloody Valentine (only the album "Loveless" and surrounding sinlges- I know they have an awful name, and some of their music is awful, but some is good), [Led Zeppelin, Smashing Pumpkins] <- These are the only two "Heavy Metal" bands I've ever heard that I sometimes like. [The Cure, The Smiths] <- Despite their annoying "punk rock" images and often repulsive lyrics, these two did have a few really catchy songs and some memorable arrangements/instrumentals.

Some of my favorite (popular) singers are: Judy Garland, Elvis, Patsy Cline, Bjork, Kate Bush, Elizabeth Fraser.

For the first part, the composers, I'm pretty much in agreement with Sense of Life as well as my other reasons for liking them. For the rest of it, I must include a disclaimer that there is a mixed Sense of Life as well as sometimes a mixed/muddled Metaphysics, but I listen to a lot of that stuff usually for some specific aspect that I think is really good. Also, I find it encouraging to sometimes experience art that's been done recently, even if it's only part good- for one thing, to hear it played on instruments utilizing new technology for recording and production of sound. I am, however, of the belief that, although the technology continually gets better and better, music, like most aspects of our culture, has gotten worse and worse over the past hundred years, especially starting with the 60's.

But I'm a musician, and perhaps one day I can help to reverse that trend. I hope so!

Ah, I was reading over all the artists listed by other posters on this thread, and I saw one name that I forgot to put, but I like him enough to have a whole post devoted to just him- Louis Armstrong!

Tim Buckley, a very melodius and romantic singer, also has an excellent voice.

I love Tim Buckley too. He had a son, Jeff Buckley, who was also a very melodius and romantic singer with an excellent voice, and who, like his father, died tragically at a young age.

In my opinion, the overall style and sound of Jeff Buckley was virtually plagiarized by Coldplay, and many of the other very recent bands that were listed on this sight, so I would highly recommend him to the people who like those bands!

Also, if you like Tim Buckley, I would recommend a beautiful "cover" of his song, "Song to the Siren," that was performed by This Mortal Coil (which is the name of a collaborative group of musicians, which is in this instance actually Cocteau Twins).

But I'm a musician, and perhaps one day I can help to reverse that trend.  I hope so!

What's your primary instrument? Others? Do you compose? In what genres do work? Glad to meet another musician on the Forum!

Usually when people ask what instrument I play, I say "amps," because I play all sorts of things that can be amplified, and from an audio engineering standpoint, I consider methods of amplifying sound to be just as much of an instrument as more traditional ones. But I first started on the drums. Right now I've mostly been playing a Fender VI baritone guitar. I also play guitar, bass, synthesizers, and drum machines.

I do write music, but I'm not particularly skilled at reading or writing sheet music. I can transcribe my songs that way, but it takes me a while.

"Genre" is a tricky term for me. I am not frightened by the term "Pop Music," but that doesn't mean my music sounds like other music associated with that genre. I am a little frightened by the term "Electronic Music," but I do use electronic instruments, so I guess you could call it that. Some bands that sound similar to my style are sometimes referred to as "Dream Pop." I suppose that will do, but I despise most music associated with that genre. I find that I like and am influenced by only a few particular musicians in every genre, but not by any one entirely. I'm just as much influenced by ragtime as anything, I would assume.

I've heard some of your songs that you posted. I liked some of the guitar peices a lot!

What's your primary instrument?  Others?  Do you compose?  In what genres do work?  Glad to meet another musician on the Forum!

...I play all sorts of things that can be amplified...

...I also play guitar, bass, synthesizers, and drum machines.

Great! So you're a multi-instrumentalist or a "utility-man".

I do write music....

I've heard some of your songs that you posted.  I liked some of the guitar peices a lot!

Thanks very much! Can we hear anything you've done, please?

Or Second Renaissance Man, if you prefer. :D

Thanks very much!  Can we hear anything you've done, please?

Ah, I wish. I've been saving up for a multitrack recorder, then I'll save up for a computer, and then I'll try to transfer my songs and post some stuff here. But it might be a while. Lately I've just been accessing the net from friends' and my parents' computers.

Or Second Renaissance Man, if you prefer.  :D

Right on! I am also very concerned with creating a body of work that is rational & benevolent, thereby "reversing the trend" of nihilism & irrationality in much of today's music.

I have a Manifesto I wrote related to that issue here on my site.

Ah, I wish.  I've been saving up for a multitrack recorder, then I'll save up for a computer, and then I'll try to transfer my songs and post some stuff here.  But it might be a while.  Lately I've just been accessing the net from friends' and my parents' computers.

I wish you success in saving up, getting some good equipment & creating beautiful music in the future! Please let the forum know about your progress.

Yeah Tom, I like Denali too. They've been on my iPod for a while, but I actually forgot about them. Thanks for jogging my memory. I only have one song (Hold Your Breath), so it was pretty easy to forget about them. They are quite good though. Maura Davis has an awesome voice. What other bands do you like, besides the ones you mentioned above? The only one I've heard of is Sparta, but I only have one of their songs (Vacant Skies) also.

I enjoy many, many bands. My new favorite is The Academy Is. Ever heard of 'em?

Zak

You ought to get more Denali on your iPod :D .

Maura Davis's new band, Bella Lea, has more of a jazz influence from that Euphone guy who plays guitar for her. It is not often one gets to see a guy play guitar with a violin bow. Euphone is decent--I guess it is an awesome thing to see. But anyway, Bella Lea is touring with Engine Down this August. I helped them put up some posters and stuff so I get to hang out with the band before/after the concert. Very excited, I am.

I have not heard The Academy Is. But I'll be sure to look them up.

A couple other, older bands that I like are The Pixies and the Dandy Warhols. Especially the songs "Hey" and "Godless." I really like Bjork's "Gling-Glo" album. I don't listen to much rap but I like "Hate It or Love It" by The Game. Leslie Feist has a unique sound--"Gatekeeper" is an awesome song. I like some of James Brown's music, particularly "The Boss". Zero 7 and The Shins are very good--and fit in well with the movie Garden State. I've also listened to "When I Paint My Masterpiece" by Bob Dylan as performed by Emmylou Harris, and by Elliott Smith (which can be found on an Elliott Smith fan site.) Cold Play is OK, I can't listen to them for a very long amount of time for some reason. I also think Pretty Girls Make Graves is OK, "Something Bigger, Something Brighter" and "Chemical, Chemical" are their two best songs. Mice Parade's sound is very unique, it reminds me of Cocorosie. The White Stripes' album "Elephant" is their best, if you ask me. The Blur is very good. Iggy Pop and Lou Reed are two of my favorites as well. Amon Tibon is absolutely amazing, especially the splinter cell album he made--he had to rearrange his drum set in a radical way in order to produce the music he does.

Hello All,

I've been a Beatles fan for many years now, but never paid much attention to their earlier work (i.e., anything before the "Revolver" album). I just recently got "Rubber Soul", which I didn't expect to like as much, but I'm really enjoying it. My favorite song on the album is "In My Life" because of the wonderfully romantic lyrics. The theme of the song is: My life has been full of great people and places, but "In my life, I love you more" than any of those things. So sweet!

"There are places I’ll remember all my life

Though some have changed

Some forever not for better

Some have gone and some remain

All these places had their moments

With lovers and friends I still can recall

Some are dead and some are living

In my life I’ve loved them all

But of all these friends and lovers

There is no one compares with you

And these mem’ries lose their meaning

When I think of love as something new

Though I know I’ll never lose affection

For people and things that went before

I know I’ll often stop and think about them

In my life I’ll love you more

Though I know I’ll never lose affection

For people and things that went before

I know I’ll often stop and think about them

In my life I’ll love you more

In my life I’ll love you more"

--Dan Edge

(SNIP)

My favorite song on the album is "In My Life" because of the wonderfully romantic  lyrics. 

Johnny Cash has a great cover on one of his American CDs.