Nate Smith

Immigration

83 posts in this topic

Non-citizens demanding to vote.

That seems to be the logical, absurd endpoint of the disintegrated approach to U.S. immigration, residency, and illegal status. If voting isn't the essential characteristic of being a citizen, what is?

Protection of the basic rights to life, liberty, and property should apply to all residents of the country. So, the essential distinguishing characteristic of citizenship would be the privilege of voting -- which means having a say in maintaining the organization that protects those rights.

... the essential distinguishing characteristic ...

Yes, thanks for the correcting what I said.

Today (May 1) illegal immigrants across the US are staging a one-day boycott and strike to show how important their work is to our economy. But what would happen if their employers were to go on strike instead, to protest the taxes and regulations they must deal with? How would the economy respond to businessmen and CEOs on strike? Then you would see who relies on whom.

In other words, you would see just who is the Atlas that holds up the world.

[...] illegal immigrants across the US are staging [...]

Are all or even just most of the boycotters and demonstrators illegal immigrants? The news accounts I have seen indicate that this social event, like many social events involving huge numbers of people, is very mixed in terms of the legal status, personal motivations, and ideologies of the people who are participating.

Are all or even just most of the boycotters and demonstrators illegal immigrants? The news accounts I have seen indicate that this social event, like many social events involving huge numbers of people, is very mixed in terms of the legal status, personal motivations, and ideologies of the people who are participating.

Fox News reports:

"NEW YORK — Illegal immigrants and their allies took to streets across America Monday to take part in "Un Dia Sin Inmigrantes" — "A Day Without Immigrants" — in an effort to show their economic importance to the country."

Fox News reports:

"NEW YORK — Illegal immigrants and their allies took to streets across America Monday to take part in "Un Dia Sin Inmigrantes" — "A Day Without Immigrants" — in an effort to show their economic importance to the country."

Thank you for the link. It confirms what I suggested: the boycotters and demonstrators are a mixed bag socially. For example, the quote above includes the phrase "their allies," which can cover a lot of ground besides illegals.

As another example, in this case a particular individual, the article cites:

Jose Cruz, 23, from El Salvador, said he took off the day from his construction job to attend the rally.

"If I lose my job, it's worth it," said Cruz, who has a temporary work permit that is granted to many Central Americans. "It's worth losing several jobs to get my papers."

[bold added for emphasis.]

I have to wonder what the US government is upto with this news article.

http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_3799653

Since when has Mexicos opinion been far more important than protecting the border?