Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stephen Speicher

Academy Awards - Best Picture - 2005

Which film do you WANT to win Best Picture?   15 votes

1. 1. Which film do you WANT to win Best Picture?

• The Aviator
    • Finding Neverland
    • Million Dollar Baby
    • Ray
    • Sideways
    • (Don't care)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 posts in this topic

Which film do you want to win the best Picture award?

I'm split. I prefer the spirit Finding Neverland but consider Million Dollar Baby the best aesthetically.

Of course, if I were free to choose from any movie released in 2004, I'd go with Kill Bill Vol. 2 -- and an acting oscar for David Carradine. :o

Of course, if I were free to choose from any movie released in 2004, I'd go with Kill Bill Vol. 2 -- and an acting oscar for David Carradine.  :o

Be still my beating heart.

(The hardest part is waiting 15 years for Kill Bill: Vol. 3.)

Of course, if I were free to choose from any movie released in 2004, I'd go with Kill Bill Vol. 2 -- and an acting oscar for David Carradine.  :o

I had another response to this, a delayed one. Vol. 2 played so early in the year, and has received so little attention at the Academy Awards, that I completely forgot it was actually a movie in 2004. I therefore have to change what I wrote about The Phantom of the Opera and now say that Phantom was the second best movie of the year, not the first.

However, I suspect that Ed and I are the only ones here who put Kill Bill: Vol. 2 on such a high level.

However, I suspect that Ed and I are the only ones here who put Kill Bill: Vol. 2 on such a high level.

Not the only ones. :o I was surprised, though, to find other Objectivists who liked it. I expected similar reactions to those I saw for Pulp Fiction.

(As for Pulp Fiction, I would not select it on my own to watch again but could get through it - by laughing at it, if only inwardly - if a friend chose it.)

Not the only ones. :o I was surprised, though, to find other Objectivists who liked it.

Do you mean other Objectivists besides Ed and me? If so, I too am surprised. Most everyone to whom I have mentioned the movie looks at me askance.

Which film do you want to win the best Picture award?

I loved Finding Neverland. I forgot to bring tissues to the theater when I saw it. It was beautifully filmed, lovely story and the acting was fantastic!

My other choice is not available - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

I loved Finding Neverland.  I forgot to bring tissues to the theater when I saw it.  It was beautifully filmed, lovely story and the acting was fantastic!

I agree. This was a wonderful movie. In addition to the great performance I have come to expect from Johnny Depp, Freddie Highmore, who played the little boy, Peter, was outstanding.

My other choice is not available - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

This was a really interesting and unusal movie. I want to see it again.

Stephen,

I too will admit to absolutely loving Kill Bill Vol. 2. I saw both volumes in the theater, and now own both on DVD. Definitely best film of 2004. I honestly thought I was the only one - I too have seen nothing but derision expressed for either volume, until now.

Stephen,

I too will admit to absolutely loving Kill Bill Vol. 2.  I saw both volumes in the theater, and now own both on DVD.  Definitely best film of 2004.  I honestly thought I was the only one - I too have seen nothing but derision expressed for either volume, until now.

Tarantino proved himself to be a great director with this pair of films. Not to mention demonstrating a wide variety of other creative talents. The more I read about, and by him, the more clear his brilliance becomes. He is so conscious, so aware and purposeful of every element that went into those movies. I doubt that I could stand one minute talking to him about anything else -- he is not my kind of person in terms of values and sense of life -- but I bet you could lock me away with him somewhere for a week and I would not tire talking to him about films in general, and his work in particular.

I agree. This was a wonderful movie. In addition to the great performance I have come to expect from Johnny Depp, Freddie Highmore, who played the little boy, Peter, was outstanding.

This was a really interesting and unusal movie. I want to see it again.

Yes, I really liked Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I had to watch it a second time immediately after the first because I wanted to be sure I wasn't wasting my admiration on the idea of "fate" or "destiny". There is much to it and I wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone else who hasn't seen it yet.

Anyway, I am keeping fingers crossed for Finding Neverland. :o

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0