Stephen Speicher

Iran declares war?

21 posts in this topic

Two days ago Jihad Watch posted this note indicating that Iran's lunatic President Ahmadinejad's recent letter to Bush may indicate a prelude to an attack. Today, 5/11/06, The New York Sun printed this editorial titled "Iran Declares War."

Iran Declares War

New York Sun Editorial

May 11, 2006

President Ahmadinejad's letter to President Bush, widely interpreted as a peaceful overture, is in fact a declaration of war. The key sentence in the letter is the closing salutation. In an eight-page text of the letter being circulated by the Council on Foreign Relations, it is left untranslated and rendered as "Vasalam Ala Man Ataba'al hoda." What this means is "Peace only unto those who follow the true path."

It is a phrase with historical significance in Islam, for, according to Islamic tradition, in year six of the Hejira - the late 620s - the prophet Mohammad sent letters to the Byzantine emperor and the Sassanid emperor telling them to convert to the true faith of Islam or be conquered. The letters included the same phrase that President Ahmadinejad used to conclude his letter to Mr. Bush. For Mohammad, the letters were a prelude to a Muslim offensive, a war launched for the purpose of imposing Islamic rule over infidels.

I know Ahmadinejad is nuts, but could he really be this crazy?

Worse than Ahmadinejad being crazy.

When our President and Congress does nothing in the face of an Iranian declaration of war, are we Americans crazy for allowing them to do so?

I don't know if this interpretation is correct, but in any case Iran has been attacking us already, via terror, for many, many years.

So if this were true, it could mean that this time they plan to attack overtly, either militarily (unlikely) or with a terror attack of such a scale that it is impossible to deny, such as a radiological bomb.

My two greatest fears from Iran:

1.) A nuclear attack on Israel (hopefully Israel will be the Moral player in this situation, again, by preventing such a threat)

2.) Dictator Putin backing Iran, causing a much larger war than we expect (and in this situation, hopefully both our President and our European brothers will realize what is at stake and defend the West and Freedom).

Does anybody else see both of these as a possibility?

And not to speak in conspiracy theories or "What if?" 's, but I can also realistically see a North Korean nuclear attack on Tokyo followed by an invasion of South Korea coupled with a joint Iranian-Russian attack.

*note*

In my above post, under point number one, again should be again

[...] a joint Iranian-Russian attack.

On whom?

Ahmadinejad's letter makes for interesting reading. If you take out the religious references it reads like it could have been written by someone at one of the leftist blogs. It also sounds like a man that isn't going to wait till we have an election and a new President.

JRoberts: Why would Putin side with Iran in a military conflict? Yes, they will happily supply weapons and intelligence (as will China) but I think there is no chance of any sort of military intervention.

I think a nuclear first strike against Japan by North Korea is pretty out there as well. Extensive use of nuclear weapons may allow the North Koreans to defeat the ROK but they would be immediately destroyed by our nuclear counter-strikes.

I know Ahmadinejad is nuts, but could he really be this crazy?

It's unfortunate to say, but perhaps, at this point in history, the best thing that could happen would be a fizzled Iranian attack on America that still causes enough damage to assure that Americans are finally outraged enough to demand, and get, the annihilation of Iran and all of their ilk. Apparently 9/11 wasn't enough to do that.

I think the worst concern is the former Soviet bioweapons scientists that are reputed to have vanished into Iran years ago - what they might have been doing in those years. There's a fear of nuclear weapons, which is very legitimate, but even terrible damage to an American city or two pales by comparison to a nation - and possibly civilization - destroying attack with novel bioweapons. I don't think that Washington understands just how much more of a threat that this is - the old "cold war" mentality is a focus on the nukes. I think that is why Ken Alibek received relatively short shrift and a skeptical reception, despite the fact that a few milligrams of anthrax spores were enough to do what even the Civil War couldn't accomplish, mostly shutting down Washington.

I hope that his brazenness isn't a result of having these weapons ready to deploy.

Hopefully, if an Iranian attack does occur, it will damage the credibility of Bush and the way he is fighting the war well enough that Americans will finally see the that what Bush is doing is appeasing and not fighting, and most importantly damage severely the evangelical movement in America.

I doubt such a thing will happen though.

Hopefully, if an Iranian attack does occur, it will damage the credibility of Bush and the way he is fighting the war well enough that Americans will finally see the that what Bush is doing is appeasing and not fighting, and most importantly damage severely the evangelical movement in America.

I doubt such a thing will happen though.

If an Iranian attack occurs?? A constant attack has been happening since 1979. Ahmadinejad may be nuts, as they all are, but I do not think this boldness crazy. We have given every indication that they can get away with intimidation, murder, extortion, and documented acts of war, with no retaliation. We have cowered before them. Why not come right out and state your intention then when your adversary has shown his unwillingness to stand up and fight you? They have given every indication of their intentions, and we are barely able to agree on sanctions (!?!?!), and not even that far.

Frankly, this all makes perfect sense to me. I think it is only Iran's residual fear of Israeli attack (since they are really the ones that will literally burn to death in atomic fire as a real and immediate possibilty) that keeps them from simply stating that they are developing nuclear weapons sanctions (!?!?) or no. I mean really, to think anybody is really going to stop them is a stretch to begin with.

Really, why is he beating around the bush with Bush? (No pun) I think he could get away with a lot more.

If you stand back and look at the picture just since Ahmadinejad was "elected" president, Iran's intensions are expressed in a fairly striaght, unambiguous, line. The problem isn't just that we won't attack and fight, but that we won't even name the danger we are in. I knew things were bad in the ideology department, but it is as though everyone has become frozen in place. Europe is talking about talking some more. Russia and China have already let it be known that they won't play on our side. "Palestine" has become a magnet for every would-be Arafat and bin Laden in the world. What few steps forward in the area (Lebanon and Syria, especially) have been followed by a slide backwards. Baby Assad still sits in Damascus. Hezbolla still sits in the Bekka. Hamas sits on the seat of government in Gaza. Al Sadr still sits in Baghdad.

And the poppy fields in Afghanistan are giving the world a bumper crop and a huge payday for a resurgent Taliban. We're pulling troops out of Afghanistan, replacing them with UN peacekeepers. Draw your own conclusions.

Whatever Israel may plan, taking out Iran's nuclear facilities is not going to be a slam-dunk. They have to travel to and from Iran across very hostile territory, locate the correct - and hardened - targets, in secret, and with US blessing (and against a large number of Iraqis). Before they can do this, however, they have to have the political will, knowledge, expertise, judgment, etc, to even plan such a strike. I don't take it for granted that they can manage it. I've stopped taking anything for granted in this crazy war.

When I first began to study WWII, I couldn't believe that Hitler had written a book that laid out all his plans for how he would use his power. No one believed he was serious. Ahmadinejad has laid out his plans for what Iran plans to do. He has been consistent. I believe him. I plan accordingly, within the limits of my ability to do so.

[i can't use preview, so please excuse any mistakes I missed.)

[i can't use preview, so please excuse any mistakes I missed.)

Any typos that Janet makes are always overshadowed by the content of what she writes. :)

It's a shame, but it looks like WebTV just cannot handle the increasing sophistication of the many graphic interfaces on the internet. I suspect its days are numbered.

In an article written for the Telegraph, Amir Taheri <a href="http://www.PHXnews.com/fullstory.php?article=34709>wrote</a>:

According to [Ahmadinejad's] analysis..., President George W. Bush is an aberration, an exception to a rule under which all American presidents since Truman, when faced with serious setbacks abroad, have "run away". Iran's current strategy, therefore, is to wait Bush out. And that, by "divine coincidence", corresponds to the time Iran needs to develop its nuclear arsenal, thus matching the only advantage that the infidel enjoys."

If the letter Ahmadinejad sent to Bush is actually the religiously required invitation to surrender and join Islam before it is too late, then it doesn't surprise me that they are further along with their nukes than we are generally led to believe. (Anyone out there trust our intelligence services?) Waiting Bush out means two and a half years. I can't help thinking of how the mad mullahs held on to their American hostages until the day Reagan was sworn-in.

[This is the first time I've attempted to type in a link. The usual caveats apply.]

Shoot. What did I do wrong?

The "<...> commands are html, which you cannot use on THE FORUM. And instead use "[...]." Instead of using "a" and "/a" in the brackets, use "url" and "/url".

The referenced story is here.

"...In Ahmadinejad's analysis, the rising Islamic superpower has decisive advantages over the infidel. Islam has four times as many young men of fighting age as the West, with its ageing populations. Hundreds of millions of Muslim ghazis (holy raiders) are keen to become martyrs while the infidel youths, loving life and fearing death, hate to fight. Islam also has four-fifths of the world's oil reserves, and so controls the lifeblood of the infidel. More importantly, the US, the only infidel power still capable of fighting, is hated by most other nations. According to this analysis, spelled out in commentaries by Ahmadinejad's strategic guru, Hassan Abassi, known as the Dr Kissinger of Islam, President George W Bush is an aberration, an exception to a rule under which all American presidents since Truman, when faced with serious setbacks abroad, have run away. Iran's current strategy, therefore, is to wait Bush out.
Oh my god...

The full article can be found here: Telegraph Link

It's quite an eye opener, explaining what most Westerners fail to comprehend - how it is Muslim hardliners believe they can beat the West.

And thanks Janet, for that succinct appraisal of the situation - it really puts it all in context.

NB Amir Taheri "is a former Executive Editor of Kayhan, Iran's largest daily newspaper, but now lives in Europe"