Betsy Speicher

An Atlas Shrugged Movie

2 posts in this topic

Michael,

1. What are your thoughts on the recent press releases concerning the Atlas Shrugged movie project from Baldwin Entertainment?

2. What would an ideal movie of Atlas be like?

(I wish someone like YOU were doing it.)

Betsy,

I don't have much to say about the recent press releases about the "Atlas" movie (I've only read one--in "Variety"). It's exciting to think that a movie will be made and that people who have major credits ("Ray") under their belts is a good sign. I know nothing else about the project or the people behind it. The mention of Pitt and Jolie doesn't disturb me as much as not knowing who they will select to direct and who will end up completing the script (I think they mentioned that James Hart's version is not the finished product). All in all, it's a real crap shoot, as they say. Miracles happen in Hollywood and good films do get made--even if it is a rare occurrence. I guess we should just think positively about it without getting our hopes up. And, let's face it, it's going to take more than a good movie to change the state of the world we are in. So, even if it is a perverted mess (which it could very well be), it will not change what Ayn Rand has written or created.

Certainly, a movie that dramatically, realistically, and movingly portrays the story of "Atlas" would make a big difference in awareness and in exposing Ayn Rand's books to people (especially the young who are not completely corrupted by their education or upbringing). Let's hope that this becomes the case.

As for the "ideal" movie, that would require discussing my own standards of what I require in a movie for it to be successful. This would take much too long to discuss here in detail, so let's just say (in broad terms) that it would be a movie that takes ideas seriously--not only in the script but stylistically (i. e., through the direction of the visuals, the sound, the acting, and the editing) as well. In other words, a movie that is consistent from beginning to end with its source material and the principles upon which it was "built." These are the times I wish Howard Roark were real--and that he were a director instead of an architect!

As for someone "like me" doing it, I can only comment on whether I would want to be doing it. And the answer is YES!

Cheers,

Michael

Michael,

1. What are your thoughts on the recent press releases concerning the Atlas Shrugged movie project from Baldwin Entertainment?

2. What would an ideal movie of Atlas be like?

(I wish someone like YOU were doing it.)