A.West

Objectivism material for Ayaan Hirsi Ali

13 posts in this topic

I hope someone from ARI or the ARBookstore can arrange for an intellectual care package (a gift basket of books and articles) to be delivered to her, to welcome her to the U.S. I hope her English is good enough for her to enjoy reading Ayn Rand's works. I've already donated to ARI, I wonder if there are enough on this forum willing to chip in and send her a gift? The difficulty may be finding where to ship it.

I hope someone from ARI or the ARBookstore can arrange for an intellectual care package (a gift basket of books and articles) to be delivered to her, to welcome her to the U.S. I hope her English is good enough for her to enjoy reading Ayn Rand's works. I've already donated to ARI, I wonder if there are enough on this forum willing to chip in and send her a gift? The difficulty may be finding where to ship it.

The American Enterprise Institute might be a good option.

I've started an order at the Ayn Rand Bookstore that will eventually be sent to Miss Hirsi Ali. I gave the ARB an amount, and asked the staff there to choose whatever they deemed appropriate.

Anyone can purchase additional bookstore merchandise for Miss Hirsi Ali by calling the Ayn Rand Bookstore. You may have something particular in mind, or you may simply have an amount that you'd like to contribute, and ask the staff to choose something for you.

When Miss Hirsi Ali comes to the United States, and when it can be determined where the order should be shipped, the items will be charged to the individuals who have contributed, and will be sent at that time. These are the items that have been chosen so far:

Atlas Shrugged

The Fountainhead

For the New Intellectual

Philosophy Who Needs It

The Virtue of Selfishness

Capitalism The Unknown Ideal

Return of the Primitive

Voice of Reason

Ayn Rand Answers

Religion vs. America ( Leonard Peikoff audio tape)

Contact numbers for the bookstore are:

800-729-6149 (USA)

888-729-6149 (Canada)

+1-949-222-6557 (International)

949-222-1842 (FAX)

To browse the website:

The Ayn Rand Bookstore

What a wonderful idea A.West had, and how wonderful that Rose Lake acted so quickly in implementing it. I just called and added The Objectivist Newsletter to the list for Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

p.s. I'm going to split this very deserving effort into a separate thread devoted to it alone.

Besides intellectual refuelling, a newcomer to the United States might also be interested in developing new friendships and conversing with like-minded individuals. Will the cover letter with the care package note that it came from supporters or admirers of Miss Hirsi Ali at forums.4aynrandfans.com?

Besides intellectual refuelling, a newcomer to the United States might also be interested in developing new friendships and conversing with like-minded individuals. Will the cover letter with the care package note that it came from supporters or admirers of Miss Hirsi Ali at forums.4aynrandfans.com?

Yes.

Consider an alternative: A gift certificate for products at the Ayn Rand Bookstore, and one book, perhaps Philosophy: Who Needs It or For the New Intellectual, but with a brief note explaining why that particular book might be both suitable for her and interesting to her.

The gift certificate would allow her to make a choice that follows her interests. The one book would be an expression, a summation, a distillation of the ideas that make us glad that she has come to the United States. A note saying that Ayn Rand, the author, was herself a refugee from oppression would also be relevant.

If I were fleeing to another country, and busy adjusting to a new way of life, new work, and new associates, the last thing I would want would be a stack of books written in a second (or third or fourth?) language.

When individuals give me books and say, "Read this! It will be good for you," I expect them to prove it to me first. Why should I invest my precious time in something for which no persuasive argument has been offered? So, I would urge selectivity combined with liquidity: one book, a gift certificate, and a brief note of appreciation for what she has done and why this gift is coming to her.

A gift certificate is something that I thought of too - but I think there might have been some issue regarding the mechanics of ARB creating a collective gift certificate. In any case, the ARB staff steered us toward sending merchandise. But, I am persuaded by all you've said, as much of it occurred to me too.

If you'd be willing to discuss this, and perhaps help in communication, please send me a PM. Nothing has been charged yet to anyone, so the issue would primarily be re-formulating and implementing some better plan.

What a splendid idea this is. She give cursory mention to numerous Western philosophers in her new book (including Kant - yech!), but not Ayn Rand. This could very well be because she has never heard of Ayn Rand: many well-educated people have not. Certainly a good sign is that one of the chapters of her new book is entitled "Let us have a Voltaire."

A. West, her English is definitely good enough to understand any of Ayn Rand's works. I have heard her speak on the radio, read her new book "The Caged Virgin" and read many transcripts of her speeches and interviews. She is an elegant and composed public speaker.

We can only hope that she receives more and more attention upon her arrival, for she is one of the only politicians I have ever encountered that is willing to call a spade a spade when it comes to Islam and individual rights.

What a wonderful idea A.West had, and how wonderful that Rose Lake acted so quickly in implementing it. I just called and added The Objectivist Newsletter to the list for Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

Well, it took some time but I just received notice that the books were sent. I want to again thank Andrew for thinking of this project, and Rose for helping to make it work. Let's hope Aayan Hirsi Ali benefits from this material as we have have benefited from her work.

Well, it took some time but I just received notice that the books were sent. I want to again thank Andrew for thinking of this project, and Rose for helping to make it work. Let's hope Aayan Hirsi Ali benefits from this material as we have have benefited from her work.

What a great project! I don't know where on the forum this thread was from, but Wikipedia had a section that will probably give you a chuckle. Do we have a new name for ourselves? [no] Paul and Stephen, I'm counting on you, lol :).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayaan_Hirsi_A...sm_of_Hirsi_Ali

Criticism of Hirsi Ali

[by] Multiculturalis[ts]

Hirsi Ali has taken a prominent place in the Dutch debate about multiculturalism. The left-liberal intellectual Dick Pels describes Hirsi Ali as the exponent of liberal fundamentalism[42]. This ideology is similar to orthodox islam in the sense that it thinks its perspective is superior and all people should be forced to have it. He thinks the way these liberal fundamentalists try debate with islam, by taunting and insulting them is not constructive. They only deteriorate the relations between migrants and native Dutch people.

"Liberal fundamentalism"?!! Atheistic ideas are now fundamentalist?! Lol. Continuing on wikipedia,

Besides criticizing Islam, Hirsi Ali recently said in public, that she does not like Christendom and churches. Because of these kind of speeches, several Christian communities said Hirsi Ali was a radical example of an anti-clericalist and an anti-Christian liberal...

The AEI [whose alums are said to influence Bush??] has a page for her now, with contact email. I just wrote her a welcome letter with a reference to this post;

http://www.aei.org/scholars/scholarID.117,...all/scholar.asp

An outspoken defender of women’s rights in Islamic societies, Ms. Hirsi Ali was born in Mogadishu, Somalia. She escaped an arranged marriage by immigrating to the Netherlands in 1992, and served as a member of the Dutch parliament from 2003 to 2006. In parliament, she worked on furthering the integration of non-Western immigrants into Dutch society, and on defending the rights of women in Dutch muslim society. In 2004, together with director Theo van Gogh, she made Submission, a film about the oppression of women in conservative Islamic cultures. The airing of the film on Dutch television resulted in the assassination of van Gogh by an Islamic extremist. At AEI, Ms. Hirsi Ali will be researching the relationship between the West and Islam; women’s rights in Islam; violence against women propagated by religious and cultural arguments; and Islam in Europe.

Wikipedia has a lovely photo of her;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayaan_Hirsi_A...sm_of_Hirsi_Ali

450px-Ayaan-Hirsi-Ali-VVD.NL-1200x1600.JPG

cf also our tribute to heroines

http://forums.4aynrandfans.com/index.php?showtopic=3600

What a great project! I don't know where on the forum this thread was from, but Wikipedia had a section that will probably give you a chuckle. Do we have a new name for ourselves? [no] Paul and Stephen, I'm counting on you, lol :).

----------

Fundamentalism is tied to religion and any attempt to tie it to any secular ideas is an attempt by the author to create a package deal: to lump two opposite ideas as one in attempt to invalidate the original criticism. I think that Rand's "radicals for capitalism" is appropriate, with a subtext "those who fight for the future live in it today."

Would a similar project for Wafa Sultan be appropriate?

Does anyone know if she is familiar with Objectivism already? I know that she attended the "Danish cartoons" discussion at USC, sponsored by the USC Objectivist Club and featuring Yaron Brook. So I won't be too surprised if somebody's already arranged for the entire ARB catalog to be airlifted to her home and office addresses, with Objectivist intellectuals posted outside on 24-hour duty just in case she has any questions.