Stephen Speicher

Something the Lord Made (2004)

Rate this movie   10 votes

1. 1. Rate this movie

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 posts in this topic

The title is fairly misleading . Religion plays pretty much no role in the movie and none of the characters are very religious. An HBO original, this is by far my favorite made for TV movie ever and definitely in my top 15 favorite movies (and I only gave it a 9). Vivien is such an admirable character and Blalock’s sense of humor and general attitude is so entertaining that I was able to really become immersed in the movie. The actors playing those characters, Mos Def and Alan Rickman respectively, both gave outstanding performances.

This is a gripping, fascinating and inspiring story of intellectual achievement. Not only is it the story of a doctor facing down obstacles in his efforts to do the first heart surgery, it is also the story of heroism in the face of blind, dumb racism. Good stuff!

Something the Lord Made is better in plot and execution than most made-for-theatre films nowadays. I gave it a 9. The best part is that it is based upon a true story.

HBO has a promotional website for the movie: http://www.hbo.com/films/stlm/ (verified 6/28/06)

My advice to members of THE FORUM: don't let the title put you off. If you subscribe to a rental service, add it to the top of your queue.

My advice to members of THE FORUM: don't let the title put you off. If you subscribe to a rental service, add it to the top of your queue.

I definitely agree with this advice! Very good movie; I gave it an 8.

Religion plays some role in this movie, but it's the type of role religion should play: Something that should be dropped in favor of living and making our lives better. One of the first obstacles Thomas and Blalock overcome is the stigma of doing surgery on a heart. Some people are willing to chalk up deaths due to problems with the heart as God's will, but Thomas and Blalock won't.