Paul's Here

Batwoman Is Back As a Lesbian

7 posts in this topic

Comic book art takes a hit.

"This is not just about having a gay character," DiDio said. "We're trying for overall diversity in the DC universe. We have strong African-American, Hispanic and Asian characters. We're trying to get a better cross-section of our readership and the world."

The outing of Batwoman created a furor of opinions on Web sites devoted to DC Comics. Opinions ranged from outrage to approval. Others took a more tongue-in-cheeck approach to the announcement.

"Wouldn't ugly people as heroes be more groundbreaking?" asked one poster. "You know, 200-pound woman, man with horseshoe hair loss pattern, people with cold sores, etc.?"

Batwoman Comes Out

I don't have a problem with that, and I think it makes business sense for them to do that.

It might be interesting. Not really a big batwoman fan though.

Marcus Lange

I always thought that batwoman was something of a contrived character. She comes from the Adam West era of Batman when everything batman owned was a "bat-something". I think there was even a "bat-dog" at one point in time.

Poison Ivy and Harlequin always had this thing for each other, if I recall. Although I don't think it was ever revealed if it was ever more than a close friendship.

When it comes to Batman, The finest interpretation of Batman ever was and still is Frank Miller's Dark Knight series. Frank Miller, in case anyone didn't know, is a fan of Ayn Rand, and it reflects strongly in his work (as if it wasn't completely obvious in "300"). My favorite line in the Dark Knight series: Batman: [arguing with Barry Allen, AKA the Flash] Do you want to fight me? then fight me, damn you! but don't tell me to compromise! I've seen where our compromises have gotten us!"

Doesn't get any better than that, folks. Heck, he gave a nice Nod to Steve Ditko when he wrote The Question in his original Objectivist style, instead of the Zen Buddhist style that the later liberal writers gave him. To see him arguing with the Green Arrow, whose political views are far left, is nothing short of hilarious (The Question takes him to town, BTW).

When it comes to Batman, there's everyone else, and then there's Frank Miller

We're trying for overall diversity in the DC universe. We have strong African-American, Hispanic and Asian characters. We're trying to get a better cross-section of our readership and the world

That's what I have a problem. That whole mentality is very, very wrong. If Roark was black, but still acted in the way that I understood and admired, I would admire him, and I wouldn't need a character to look like me!

What is wrong with these people, with the readership which emotionally demands it and the publishers who assent that the demand is proper?

We're trying for overall diversity in the DC universe. We have strong African-American, Hispanic and Asian characters. We're trying to get a better cross-section of our readership and the world

That's what I have a problem. That whole mentality is very, very wrong. If Roark was black, but still acted in the way that I understood and admired, I would admire him, and I wouldn't need a character to look like me!

What is wrong with these people, with the readership which emotionally demands it and the publishers who assent that the demand is proper?

I'm sorry, FC, but I just don't feel comfortable with a superhero who doesn't look exactly like me!

:D

Actually, this may create a problem for them. First of all, there's no way they can cover all the bases and make everyone happy. What about Micronesians? Are they going to make Superman a Pago Pago'an? What do they have there, 3 dozen people? Not even enough population for a mass murderer. More serious is the bad guys: Now that they're telling us that the race and ethnicity of the characters is to be identified with their status as positive role models, the race or ethnicity of a villain now reflects a statement about that race/ethnicity and that deviant behavior. They can't make a statement without making a statement. We'll see how they handle the bad guys. That should be revealing. What do you want to bet that they're all Caucasian American Big Businessmen? If they weren't so busy going out and producing and making a living, they'd have an excellent class action lawsuit for defamation of character.