MichaelJ

When..... you follow my instructions and see for yourself. :)

15 posts in this topic

Goto http://www.shop.com/

Add literally anything to the shopping cart, and then proceed to the checkout page.

Look at the example e-mail address that they give on how to fill out the checkout form.

Enjoy :unsure:

Along the same lines, has anyone ever noticed the street address for Omaha Steaks?

OmahaSteaks.com

10909 John Galt Blvd

P.O. Box 3300

Omaha, NE 68103

:unsure:

~Jenn

Oh, here's another one. A friend of mine up in Boston was recently contacted by someone at this company:

http://www.j-galt.com

Be sure to read their story, too!

http://www.j-galt.com/story.htm

Unless the company has obtained permission from the Estate of Ayn Rand for use of the name "John Galt," their claim to "communicate openly and honestly with our customers" is, in my opinion, rather questionable, since they are capitalizing on the value of Ayn Rand's intellectual property.

Unless the company has obtained permission from the Estate of Ayn Rand for use of the name "John Galt," their claim to "communicate openly and honestly with our customers" is, in my opinion, rather questionable, since they are capitalizing on the value of Ayn Rand's intellectual property.

Actually, I wondered about that. Is it possible that they did obtain permission? Is there someone at ARI who should be informed?

~Jenn

Actually, I wondered about that. Is it possible that they did obtain permission?

Certainly it is possible. That is why I said "unless." However, it is my experience that the track record of those who capitalize on Miss Rand's intellectual property, is not very good. There are those who say they do so in honor and recognition of the value that is Ayn Rand, but I think that respecting rights would be a bigger honor.

Is there someone at ARI who should be informed?

The Estate of Ayn Rand is, as I understand it, Leonard Peikoff and his ex-wife Cynthia, so I would suppose contacting him would be the best bet.

p.s. If the company has, in fact, already obtained permission, I would be quite surprised.

I have emailed the company to inquire about whether they obtained the necessary permissions. I'll give them a few days to answer. If I don't hear from them, I would like to bring this to Mr. Peikoff's attention. Do you have any idea how he might be contacted? You can email me offline. Thanks!

~Jenn

I have emailed the company to inquire about whether they obtained the necessary permissions. I'll give them a few days to answer. If I don't hear from them, I would like to bring this to Mr. Peikoff's attention. Do you have any idea how he might be contacted? You can email me offline. Thanks!

I'd rather respond here, just in case someone else might have a concern appropriate to the Estate of Ayn Rand. leonard@peikoff.com

I'd rather respond here, just in case someone else might have a concern appropriate to the Estate of Ayn Rand. leonard@peikoff.com

I thought character names are not protected by copyright, and that if one wanted them protected one needs a trademark.

I thought character names are not protected by copyright, and that if one wanted them protected one needs a trademark.

In addition, it was my understanding that short phrases, such as "Who is John Galt?" would require trademark protection and are not protected by copyright.

In addition, it was my understanding that short phrases, such as "Who is John Galt?" would require trademark protection and are not protected by copyright.

We've been through all this before, when discussing the limitations on usernames here on THE FORUM. Regardless of anyone else's interpretation of current law, I am guided by Miss Rand's explicit intent as voiced in the June 1968 issue of The Objectivist. In a "Statement of Policy, Part II - By Henry Mark Holzer" (who at that time was Miss Rand's attorney), concerns about and restrictions upon various uses of Ayn Rand's intellectual property was expressed. One particularly relevant statement is the following:

Another category of names to be strictly avoided, either for study groups or for undertakings of any kind whatsoever, is the names of Miss Rand's fiction characters (for instance, a designation such as "The John Galt Society"). Miss Rand has asked me to stress this point emphatically. Her fiction characters are Miss Rand's property; they are not in the public domain. In issues of this kind, Miss Rand has the protection of United States statutory and common law copyright.

Which eventually led me to make the following statement in a post to our "NOTICES" forum.

After giving it much thought and consulting with other Objectivists, we have decided not to allow FORUM usernames that might infringe on the Estate of Ayn Rand's intellectual property or mislead people about a member's association with Objectivism. That means a member can't use Ayn Rand's name, names of her books and characters, "Objectivist" (a registered trademark of the Estate), or variations of them. When applying this rule, I intend to err on the side of caution.

(Note that for THE FORUM. I've always considered your own username, "danielshrugged," as borderline.)

Anyway, irrespective of the law, I think any honest, decent person would not attempt to expropriate or capitalize on the value that was and is Ayn Rand's.

I found this company a long time ago when they sent a flyer to my work and I happened across it. It made me smile, and wonder. The company names is John Galt Solutions, Inc.

It looks like an interesting company, they do supply chain solutions and demand forecasting so they are somewhat connected to the industry I am working (freight forwarding) - however I do wonder if they infringe on trademarks with their products names such as the "Atlas Planning Suite" and "John Galt University".

I don't know why Anne Omrod, the President and CEO, didn't name this company after herself.