Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChristopherSchlegel

Video of Schlegel Live Performance

16 posts in this topic

I recently performed at The Carroll County Arts Council "Evening with the Arts" show at the Dixie Carter Performing Arts Center. It went quite well.

It was a showcase for local artists. After a recent recital I was asked by the Arts Council to be on the show. I did two pieces. The first is the opening Allegro from my A Major Sonata. I followed that with "Over the Rainbow". All was well received. I had several requests for CDs & more performances. Good stuff! We shall call it a victory. :unsure:

And, thanks to my good friend Matt for being there to capture it on video from the balcony! You'll have to crank the audio up; it is very low, but audible.

Guitar Sonata in A major "Opus Primo" Movement 1 "Allegro"

"Over the Rainbow"

Happy viewing and listening.

Christopher, the music sounded very good, you looked very good in all black (my favorite), and congratulations on the good reception to your work.

Hey Christopher,

It's great to see you perform your work in concert. I haven't been a huge fan of guitar-based instrumentals, but that allegro is like a clinic! I just started to examine that piece, and I really love that flourish where you perform a descending run from C# in the middle of the song.

I've been trying to improve my descending runs, and then it occured to me tonight that some of the difficulties I have been having could involve the application of leverage. If you happen to see this post, then I was wondering if you think there's a subtantial difference between hammer-ons and pull-offs when it comes to leveraging off pivot points i.e. first fingers.

Thanks for the inspiration! :-D

Greg

After hearing myself play this morning, my ears thank you for the sharing your performance. Now that is guitar playing! Excellent!

Your finger play up and down the guitar neck is impressive. I enjoyed both performances. My only complaint would be that I didn't hear the guitar ring out clearly enough. Maybe that's simply the nature of the environment you were playing in?

Btw, as an aside, Pete Barbutti has a bit on "Over the Rainbow". He's one of my favorite comedians, as he mixes music with comedy, and is quite a good piano player.

Link

RayK, Rose Lake, Thoyd Loki & Thales - Thanks, guys! I sincerely appreciate your time in watching and commenting favorably.

My only complaint would be that I didn't hear the guitar ring out clearly enough. Maybe that's simply the nature of the environment you were playing in?

The problem is that the audio was captured by the built-in mic on the vidcam and it was in the balcony. That's why I specified the audio was low and you might have to crank up the volume. The performance hall didn't have an appropriate stage mic to pick up my guitar so it didn't come through the hall PA.

It's great to see you perform your work in concert. I haven't been a huge fan of guitar-based instrumentals, but that allegro is like a clinic! I just started to examine that piece, and I really love that flourish where you perform a descending run from C# in the middle of the song.

Hey, Greg! Thanks for your kind words. Hope your music is going well, too.

I've been trying to improve my descending runs, and then it occured to me tonight that some of the difficulties I have been having could involve the application of leverage. If you happen to see this post, then I was wondering if you think there's a subtantial difference between hammer-ons and pull-offs when it comes to leveraging off pivot points i.e. first fingers.

Most of the runs I do in this piece are completely picked. The ascending run at the end of the development leading to the recapitulation is the only one in which I used mostly hammer-on technique.

But to address your point: YES. I personally think there is a crucial difference between HOs & POs in leveraging. Much of the actual pressure during both most importantly involves thumb placement & pivoting. The biggest single problem I see with guitarists trying to get to the "next level" is they are squeezing too hard with their fingers, thumb or entire hand. You only need enough pressure to make the note sound clearly, any more is wasted effort. Or worse, will make it impossible for your hand or fingers to get into the next position.

Another problem is simply finger strength. I addressed this by practicing HOs & POs isolating specific fingers. For example, one that can really help is to not use your index finger at all! Just do some simple HOs & POs using your middle finger as pivot and your ring and pinky to HO & PO. Likewise with your ring. Then try to keep all your other fingers from waggling around too much; again it's only wasted motion.

Thanks for the inspiration! :-D

I am very glad to have provided you with a little inspiration.

I recently added a couple more vids to my YouTube page. Just me practicing at home preparing for performances.

Enjoy!

Holy crap, I loved that second one! Is that your own piece?

Enjoy!

Echoing Thoyd, Moonglow was excellent! Just a great upbeat, bright melody.

Holy crap, I loved that second one! Is that your own piece?

LOL. Thanks, but no, it's just an old standard. "Moonglow" was written by Will Hudson and Irving Mills in the 30's. Typically it is done as a laid back, easy swing type of thing. Not a ballad, per se, but kind of slow and dreamy. My inspiration for creating an arrangement for it was hearing Art Tatum do it as a more upbeat, rollicking jazzy swing tune. It's track 1 on Art Tatum Solo Masterpieces Vol. 1. If you enjoyed mine, you should hear him deliver the goods. Holy Tatum! :)

Echoing Thoyd, Moonglow was excellent! Just a great upbeat, bright melody.

Thanks! It went over very well as the closer at my last two gigs. Nice tune to use to "finish with a bang".

I'm really impressed by how clean and precise your playing is Christopher :)

Hey! Thanks for noticing. I remember you asking about bass playing a while back. How's it going for you?

Thanks for putting these up!

My pleasure, thank YOU for taking the time to watch and comment.

Previously I posted this link to vid of me performing the first movement from one of my sonatas:

Guitar Sonata in A major "Opus Primo" Movement 1 "Allegro"

I recently recorded myself practicing the third movement from that same work.

Guitar Sonata in A major "Opus Primo" Movement 3 "Minuet & Trio"

Enjoy!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0