Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChristopherSchlegel

Classical & Jazz Solo Guitar Pieces

17 posts in this topic

I recently had a chance to post some of the best recordings I made of my recital tunes. The Beethoven & the jazz pieces are my own arrangements.

Recital Tunes Page

Happy listening.

Thanks so much for making these available, Christopher. I particularly enjoyed Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Very creative. My other favorites were the Tarrega Recuerdos piece and the Bach Bouree. I never heard that Tarrega piece before, so I do not know what to compare it to in terms of rendition, but I really liked it. I look forward to hearing more of your work over time.

Elizabeth, what is "CDBaby?"

CDBaby is a site for independent recording artists to sell their music cd's.

I found the link on Christopher's site. I was not sure it appropriate for me to link to it, as the purpose of the initial post is in regard to his recital compositions. I do think good musicianship is worth mentioning though.

CDBaby is a site for independent recording artists to sell their music cd's.

Thanks. I was just curious; it had a funny-sounding name.

I found the link on Christopher's site.  I was not sure it appropriate for me to link to it, as the purpose of the initial post is in regard to his recital compositions.  I do think good musicianship is worth mentioning though.

Yes, and Christopher is welcome to promote his CDs in our CAPITALIST CORNER forum.

Thanks so much for making these available, Christopher.

My pleasure, thanks for listening.

I particularly enjoyed Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

Great! I love that tune.

I never heard that Tarrega piece before, so I do not know what to compare it to in terms of rendition, but I really liked it.

That's kind of a standard Romantic guitar repertoire piece. It's a real bear due to the constant tremolo picking. It is quite beautiful; but it sounds better when someone like Segovia or Williams is playing it!

Christopher, thanks for linking to your recital tunes!

I'm listening to some of your pop tune samples on CDBaby too.  :o 

Happy listening is right!  Bravo! :D

Thank you for your kind words, I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Disclaimer: It was NOT my intention to plug my stuff for sale on this thread! That is why I put my recital pieces on a completely separate page on my site that was not directly linked to anything else.

Geez, Elizabeth...are you trying to get me in trouble?! Just kidding...

I am glad you found them happy listening, thanks again.

Thank you Mr. Speicher for pointing out there is a proper area on the forum for that purpose. I will do just that.

Just so that there is no chance of any misunderstanding, what Christopher did by posting a pointer in the Performing Arts forum for us to listen to his music, was perfectly proper. (Not only proper, but we thank him for doing so.) Others are free to do the same in this or other forums or subforums that are appropriate to the material, as long as the material is within the general guidelines of THE FORUM.

But, in addition, Christopher, or anyone else, is free to make an open sales pitch for their products in the CAPITALIST CORNER forum. Again, as long as the product is within the general guidelines of THE FORUM.

In general we would like to support those who create and produce values and products that matter, whether the intention is to promote the product for purchase, or to just share with members what one has created.

I suppose I should add, however, that independent of the specified guidelines, we reserve the right to remove anything on THE FORUM that we do not think to be appropriate.

I recently had a chance to post some of the best recordings I made of my recital tunes. The Beethoven & the jazz pieces are my own arrangements.

Chris,

Nice job on the guitar arrangements and the playing. It's great that you can lay down those bass lines, chords, and melodies all the same time.

Gmartin

Nice job on the guitar arrangements and the playing. It's great that you can lay down those bass lines, chords, and melodies all the same time.

Gmartin

Thanks very much. I see that you are a musician (trombonist) in Nashville. I live a bit west of you out in the sticks (McKenzie). I have a good friend that lives in & plays in N'ville with his original band doing modern jazz - Danny Ray Martin Quintet.

Being able to play all the parts is one the most rewarding aspects of the guitar; everything is completely self-contained. It's why I so admire Joe Pass.

Thanks again.

Being able to play all the parts is one the most rewarding aspects of the guitar; everything is completely self-contained.  It's why I so admire Joe Pass.

Christopher,

Joe Pass is one of my favorites too. I also like Jim Hall and Howard Roberts. I have a duo with a guy in Nashville that plays like Joe. Playing with him is like having a complete rhythm section (but costs a lot less).

GMartin

Joe Pass is one of my favorites too.

Great!

I also like Jim Hall and Howard Roberts.

Yeah, those guys are awesome, too. & Herb Ellis! That guy had some beautiful stuff also.

I have a duo with a guy in Nashville that plays like Joe.  Playing with him is like having a complete rhythm section (but costs a lot less).

That's fantastic. I would love to see that in the future.

One of my favorite CDs is the Joe & Ella live. Such amazing power in just a duo. "I'm beginning to see the light" just floors me. Neither one of them is really showing off or being flash (like they could & like I sometimes love to hear); it's so passionate, romantic & light-as-air benevolent. I LOVE it when Ella says "Play pretty, Joe".

Happy listening.

Happy Listening Indeed it IS! What a perfect ending to a lovely day: UNC WINS and I hear a wonderful artist I did not know before.

Thanks so much for sharing this, and I look forward to hearing much more! :)

Your Somewhere Over the Rainbow is now my new favorite version. I long to play classical guitar...if you're ever in NC, you'd have a student here!

Thanks so much for sharing this, and I look forward to hearing much more! :)

Thanks, I am glad you found value in it. There's much more where that came from. I'll will post more as time allows in the future.

Your Somewhere Over the Rainbow is now my new favorite version. I long to play classical guitar...if you're ever in NC, you'd have a student here!

NC=North Carolina? Thanks for the compliments. I see you are a pianist. Do you have anything up on the web by which we can hear you playing?

I recently completed my senior recital. In preparing for it I recorded demo versions of some of the pieces. The complete performance list was:

Guitar Sonata in A Major

1. Allegro

2. Dolce Adagio

3. Minuet & Trio

4. Rondo

(by Christopher Schlegel)

5. "Black Star"

6. "Far Beyond The Sun"

(by Yngwie Malmsteen)

7. "Beethoven's 9th (in under 12 minutes)"

8. "Rossini's William Tell Overture"

(Arrangements by me)

The first 4 were solo classical guitar; the last 4 were me & my guitar instructor playing electric guitars over backing tracks I created.

A couple of WARNINGS! The demos for my guitar sonata are very rough. They are not the finalized versions, but close enough to share. I hope to re-record pristine, perfect final versions sometime this summer. The Beethoven & Rossini are "rock instrumentation arrangements" (i.e. guitar, bass, drums) & are definitely NOT for everyone. If you like that sort of thing, then download & crank it up!

Here is my Guitar Sonata in A Major.

Here are the Electric Tunes (bottom 2 links, the top ones are the ones I linked earlier from my junior recital).

Happy listening.

Christopher

I am currently taking a student initiated independent study class my instructor & I are calling "Overview of Music Publishing". One of the pieces I am submitting for publication is a "beginner" sonata for solo classical guitar. In preparing it for submission I recorded a demo version and put it here:

Guitar Sonata Page

As you see the previous one is on top (Sonata in A Major) & the new one is on the bottom (Sonata in C Major).

Happy listening.

Christopher

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0