Stephen Speicher

Help: New computer and cannot login

59 posts in this topic

I'm posting this for member Janet Busch, who at this point is extremely frustrated (as am I because I have run out of helpful suggestions). Janet has finally gotten herself a new computer (yea, no more WebTV!) but now she cannot logon to THE FORUM. I have changed her password and logged on successfully as her, but when she tries to do the same she gets an error message, "Sorry, we could not find a member using those log in details."

The most peculiar thing is that that message only appears when you enter a username that is not registered. If you enter a valid username but the wrong password, you get a different error message. So, for some reason the system is not even recognizing her login name as she keys it.

Anyone have a clue as to what Janet might look at in order to solve this problem?

p.s. She got a new Windows laptop and I think she is using I.E. as her browser.

My suggestion would be to create a new user name and password.

The most peculiar thing is that that message only appears when you enter a username that is not registered. If you enter a valid username but the wrong password, you get a different error message. So, for some reason the system is not even recognizing her login name as she keys it.

A few ideas/questions -

1) The username/password may be case sensitive. Assure the exact case is entered (caps lock on?)

2) Is this a brand new system or a used one?

3) I suggest going to getfirefox.com and downloading and installing Firefox, then trying that.

My suggestion would be to create a new user name and password.

But then Janet will lose the past history of all her posts. Besides, I can login using her name and password, so the question is, why can't she?

But, your idea might be a good test to see if establishing a new account will work for her. That is probably worth a try. Maybe that might give a clue as to how to solve the problem.

A few ideas/questions -

1) The username/password may be case sensitive. Assure the exact case is entered (caps lock on?)

2) Is this a brand new system or a used one?

3) I suggest going to getfirefox.com and downloading and installing Firefox, then trying that.

I just tried with CAPS on, and it failed. However, I get an entirely different message: "Username or password incorrect."

I believe this is a new system. The Firefox download is a good idea.

But then Janet will lose the past history of all her posts. Besides, I can login using her name and password, so the question is, why can't she?

But, your idea might be a good test to see if establishing a new account will work for her. That is probably worth a try. Maybe that might give a clue as to how to solve the problem.

That's what I was thinking. It's a way of eliminating a couple of variables, such as is she doing something wrong, or if there's something going on with her computer, or maybe her ISP.

Can she get onto the site as a guest from her computer?

Try this.

Tell her to go to Tools, Internet Options, Privacy tab, and make sure the slider is set to Medium. Maybe her computer is not accepting cookies.

Try this.

Tell her to go to Tools, Internet Options, Privacy tab, and make sure the slider is set to Medium. Maybe her computer is not accepting cookies.

Thanks, but we already tried that.

Are there any firewall, privacy or anti spyware packages installed?

Some of them might be erasing cookies automatically.

I have seen poorly designed firewalls in the past that rewrite HTTP requests too.

Turn off the Windows XP firewall. It is notorious for problems like this. Otherwise, the Firefox suggestion is worth trying. Firefox is worth having anyway.

Turn off the Windows XP firewall. It is notorious for problems like this.

I second that suggestion - that firewall causes many problems. (You should be sure to have a firewall/NAT router between your computer and the internet, if it's a broadband connection.) Also, I have a low opinion of the Norton tools, especially Norton Antivirus, and McAfee Antivirus as well. Both programs are incredibly intrusive into the operating system, buggy, and make a computer very unstable, in my experience. If either are on the system I would uninstall it then put in AVG antivirus.

I second that suggestion - that firewall causes many problems. (You should be sure to have a firewall/NAT router between your computer and the internet, if it's a broadband connection.) Also, I have a low opinion of the Norton tools, especially Norton Antivirus, and McAfee Antivirus as well. Both programs are incredibly intrusive into the operating system, buggy, and make a computer very unstable, in my experience. If either are on the system I would uninstall it then put in AVG antivirus.

You can use the free ZoneAlarm firewall and the free AVG antivirus.

I'm posting this for member Janet Busch, who at this point is extremely frustrated (as am I because I have run out of helpful suggestions). Janet has finally gotten herself a new computer (yea, no more WebTV!) but now she cannot logon to THE FORUM. I have changed her password and logged on successfully as her, but when she tries to do the same she gets an error message, "Sorry, we could not find a member using those log in details."
I'd guess the cause is a wrong user name. Try "Janet_Busch" instead of "Janet Busch".

Are there any firewall, privacy or anti spyware packages installed?

Some of them might be erasing cookies automatically.

Turn off the Windows XP firewall. It is notorious for problems like this.
I second that suggestion - that firewall causes many problems.

I don't know if Janet has a firewall going, but I'll ask. However, I don't understand how a firewall could cause this particular problem. She types in her username and password, and the response from the system is that that username is not recognized. I don't see how the firewall can explain that response. (Unless somehow the system requires some sort of IP address response, and when it fails to get it, it prints out the wrong error message.)

Thanks, but that is not the problem.
That's strange because I got the same error message you wrote about when I attempted to login as "Janet Busch" with the password "test". Then, some time later, I tried again but only got the error message that one gets when the password is incorrect. I thought this was because someone created an additional account named "Janet Busch".

Thanks, but that is not the problem.

That's strange because I got the same error message you wrote about when I attempted to login as "Janet Busch" with the password "test". Then, some time later, I tried again but only got the error message that one gets when the password is incorrect. I thought this was because someone created an additional account named "Janet Busch".

Yes, based on Paul's suggestion an additional account was created. Your first try was probably before the account was created, and your second try was probably after the account was created. But Janet has been logging in as "Janet_Busch" for quite some time, so I think by now she has that down pat. :P

I just called in to a local radio computer show about this problem, and you guys here made better suggestions than did they! The radio experts were a bit baffled. :P

But Janet has been logging in as "Janet_Busch" for quite some time, so I think by now she has that down pat. :P
I really love the ability of many browsers to store the user name and password. That way I don't have to remember and type in my account data every time I visit sites such as THE FORUM...

If you are sure that she used the name "Janet_Busch" then just ignore what I wrote, otherwise it might be worth a shot to ask her explicitly to use the underline. I could be completely wrong but a wrong user name is the only plausible explanation that I can think of (which doesn't mean a lot, I know).

Stephen - does the BBS software contain any logging capability for logins (or failed logins in particular)? If so the log files might contain a clue to the problem.

If you are sure that she used the name "Janet_Busch" then just ignore what I wrote, otherwise it might be worth a shot to ask her explicitly to use the underline. I could be completely wrong but a wrong user name is the only plausible explanation that I can think of (which doesn't mean a lot, I know).

I agree about the plausibility comment -- it is certainly the simplest explanation -- but Janet has written back to me verifying exactly what name and password to use. Very perplexing.

Stephen - does the BBS software contain any logging capability for logins (or failed logins in particular)? If so the log files might contain a clue to the problem.

Good point. I'll search around and see what I can find.

I'm suspicious of that underline too, but for a different reason. I'm wondering if Janet's computer and/or keyboard might be set up in a way that is causing the underline character to be sent over the network with an incorrect character-set encoding. (Or, alternately, if her old WebTV might have been set up in such a way.) If so, then the underline generated by her current PV wouldn't look like the same character to the forum software and the username wouldn't match up in the database.

Stephen, can you successfully log in using her account name and password?

I'd suggest trying to narrow down the underline question by doing the following:

1) Stephen, you create *two* new accounts, one containing an underline and one not containing an underline, e.g. "foobar" and "foo_bar".

2) Janet tries logging in to both accounts using her PC.

If she can successfully log into the "foobar" account but not the "foo_bar" account, that suggests her current PC is misgenerating the underline character.

If she can successfully log into both accounts, then we go to step 3 (if possible):

3) Janet tries logging in to the "foo_bar" account using the old WebTV device.

If that fails, it would indicate that the old WebTV device was misgenerating the underline character.

Either way, we'd have more useful information to work with going forward.

Yes, based on Paul's suggestion an additional account was created. Your first try was probably before the account was created, and your second try was probably after the account was created. But Janet has been logging in as "Janet_Busch" for quite some time, so I think by now she has that down pat. :P

If she's still having problems you will want to find out if there are any proxying firewall's between the server and her (like Microsoft's ISA server). We see this problem occasionally where I work and it is the interaction between a customer behind a proxy firewall and our legacy firewalls and where the target IP address is a virtual IP. Our solution involves having the customers traffic target the server directly and not the virtual IP address.