Ed from OC

Who Would Play You?

40 posts in this topic

Here's a question for you: if a movie was made of your life, who would you pick to play the role of you? (This could be any actor or actress, past or present.)

I'm torn between Johnny Depp and Robert Downey Jr. (Val Kilmer would be a close third choice.) I love the energy and offbeat style they bring to their roles.

Here's a question for you: if a movie was made of your life, who would you pick to play the role of you? (This could be any actor or actress, past or present.)

I'm torn between Johnny Depp and Robert Downey Jr. (Val Kilmer would be a close third choice.) I love the energy and offbeat style they bring to their roles.

I'd have to have Joaquin Phoenix do it. Or Hugh Laurie, somebody who can do a first impression mean-guy. I think Hugh Laurie would be best. But, I am no match for the character that he plays. I've rarely felt for a character as I do him.

In thirty years it would have to Sean Connery, but he'll be long gone.. .

I've been compared, looks-wise, to Janeane Garofalo, but I think I'd prefer Jodie Foster. She can do intelligent, yet spunky. :P

What a great question! This should be a fun thread. :P

These are all wonderful actors, but I don't see you as being "offbeat." I would think a younger Matthew Broderick might capture you well.

For me, my top three choices would be, in order, Anthony Hopkins, Raymond Massey, or Christopher Plummer.

I think Hugh Laurie would be best.

I think that is a perfect choice. I can see it now, Hugh Laurie throwing those pots, pans, and knives all around the kitchen! :P

Although I'm not an actor and don't want to be one, I might make an exception in this case and play myself. :P

If it had to be a professional actor, I would choose Roger Moore.

This is actually a very tough question for me. I'd probably have to go with Elijah Wood.

I'd probably opt for Adrian Paul, of Highlander fame. Tough, cool and under control, yet knows how to smile and have fun. :P

I would have picked Juliette Binoche.

Excellent choice! She's terrific.

These are all wonderful actors, but I don't see you as being "offbeat." I would think a younger Matthew Broderick might capture you well.
Well, I thought he did a good job on Feynman, so I'd be in good company. And he did well in Ferris Beuller's Day Off and WarGames, which I've seen, like, a zillion times. But I definitely get more of a kick out of the zany, and it'd be a hoot to have my life onscreen with a somewhat surrealist bent. :P:)

Hey, maybe Christopher Walken or Christopher Lloyd would be me from the future. I don't know, though... Christopher Lloyd in a time-travel movie? Nah, that'd never work. :D

For me, my top three choices would be, in order, Anthony Hopkins, Raymond Massey, or Christopher Plummer.
I totally see Anthony Hopkins in the role, especially after seeing him in The World's Fastest Indian.

Matthew Broderick is a great actor who's played some amazing characters [usually with his wonderful sincerity], but I never knew he did Feynman. Thanks!

As to who would play me ... difficult. I considered Christina Ricci because of her face and Jewel Staite [Kaylee Frye is remarkably similar to me] but Anna Chlumsky is the best I can think of.

Matthew Broderick is a great actor who's played some amazing characters [usually with his wonderful sincerity], but I never knew he did Feynman.

I think the movie was titled "Infinity", and as I recall from some written Feynman biographical material, it's an extraordinarily accurate portrayal of part of his earlier life (up until the tragic death of his first wife at a young age from tuberculosis.)

Gene Hackman. I have been told I remind people of him, and his style reflects me very well.

Barbara Stanwyck. Pick an age, but especially her early screwball comedies.

I see very few modern movies so I haven't a clue who most of the present-day actresses. My husband says Julia Roberts, but I think that's just because he has a crush on her. And she also has red hair. If I were to go with a red head, however, it would have to be the lovely Rita Hayworth.

Christopher Walken

I'd say Diana Rigg (in The Avengers), Mary Tyler Moore, or Katharine Hepburn.

What do you think, Stephen?

I'd say a combination of all three: The sharpness of Diana Rigg, the cuteness of Mary Tyler Moore, and the spirit of Katherine Hepburn.

(Phew! Talk about being put on the spot. :P )

Matthew Broderick is a great actor who's played some amazing characters [...] but I never knew he did Feynman. Thanks!

I think the movie was titled "Infinity" [...].

Surely Infinity could have been only the film’s potential—working?—title, not its actual one! :P

I'd say a combination of all three: The sharpness of Diana Rigg, the cuteness of Mary Tyler Moore, and the spirit of Katherine Hepburn.

(Phew! Talk about being put on the spot. :D )

:P:D:) I think you handled that very well.

(Phew! Talk about being put on the spot. :P )

Ladies and Gentlemen -- take a lesson from the pros! :D

(Phew! Talk about being put on the spot. :D )

:P:D:D I think you handled that very well.

Ladies and Gentlemen -- take a lesson from the pros! :)

Thanks, but notice that I did not publicly solicit Betsy's view of my choices. Now that's the mark of a real pro. :D

(She's warming up to Anthony Hopkins, but had Spencer Tracy in mind. I think she envisions a Tracy-Hepburn romantic comedy. A good-natured give an take, which we have done now for forty years. :D )

I must say, I personally find this light-hearted thread one of the most entertaining we have had on THE FORUM. The choices are a really fascinating insight into how people see themselves. Thanks to Ed from OC for starting this thread, and I do hope it continues.

This is a tough pick - to be realistic, I have to pick Ziyi Zhang. She is gorgeous, good acting on her recent movie Memoirs of a Geisha, and she hardly speaks English (same as me!). :P