Stephen Speicher

Help with inappropriate material

7 posts in this topic

Administrating THE FORUM has been a delightful but yet sometimes frustrating experience. Delightful in finding so many reasonable and interesting members, and frustrating in energy spent warding off sundry characters who would undermine our value. These characters range from those who would use our forum to advertise drugs and pirated material, to the psychologically disturbed who seek disruption.

I try to catch this riffraff as quickly as possible, but should you see any inappropriate posts, advertising, trolling or the like, please let me know rather than respond to the post. And should you receive any inappropriate material in private messages or emails sent through THE FORUM, also please let me know as soon as possible so I can remove these people from THE FORUM. Note that there are at least two creatures who periodically morph themselves into different personnas, and he/she/it can be removed more quickly if I receive your help.

Thanks!

Administrating THE FORUM has been [...] frustrating in energy spent warding off sundry characters who would undermine our value. [...]

I try to catch this riffraff as quickly as possible, but [...]

Does the software allow cost-effective probationary status for newly registered members? The ones that seem to cause the most trouble apparently register and then throw mud very quickly. If all new members were automatically placed on a moderator preview status for several posts, that might discourage driveby attacks.

I can see two objections. First, this may require more time than it saves. Second, all new members would need to be told to expect delays before their new posts or topics appear -- and the reason: probation.

Does the software allow cost-effective probationary status for newly registered members? The ones that seem to cause the most trouble apparently register and then throw mud very quickly. If all new members were automatically placed on a moderator preview status for several posts, that might discourage driveby attacks.

The software offers various options that I have considered, including what you suggest. So far I have decided to put the effort into trying to quickly weed out the few offenders, rather than penalize the new members who, after all, far outnumber the bad guys. But I will continue to weigh all options.

And, in addition to posts there are private messages and emails, which is one main reason I asked our members to be alert and to notify me of inappropriate material.

Hi, I didn't read this thread until now. Aren't you able to track their IP address down? I've had to do that on more than one occasion to deal with morons I encounter online. From there I usually block them and/or figure out what town they live in via the address. I don't make threats, but most trolls run off the minute the find out their cloak of anonymity no longer exists.

Of course, they could register using a different computer or change their IP address, but it will still show up as coming from the same city. I wonder if IPB allows you to do Burgess' suggestion but only for people whose IP addresses come from the same city. That would eliminate the annoyance for 99% of new members.

I don't make threats, but most trolls run off the minute the find out their cloak of anonymity no longer exists.

As an aside: isn't it interesting how the word "troll" is used to characterize these people? They scurry like cockroaches in a dark room when a flashlight shines on them. I know troll is accepted parlance, but they'd be more accurately described as cockroaches or rats.

As an aside: isn't it interesting how the word "troll" is used to characterize these people? They scurry like cockroaches in a dark room when a flashlight shines on them. I know troll is accepted parlance, but they'd be more accurately described as cockroaches or rats.

Absolutely! However in this instance the defintion refers not to the mythical creature but to the fishing technique:

3 a : to fish for by trolling b : to fish by trolling in <troll lakes> c : to pull through the water in trolling <troll a lure> d : to search in or at <trolls flea markets for bargains>; also : PROWL <troll nightclubs>

[from Merriam-Webstar Online]

They ought to add a definition referring to internet trolling - it's common enough by now.

Absolutely! However in this instance the defintion refers not to the mythical creature but to the fishing technique:

3 a : to fish for by trolling b : to fish by trolling in <troll lakes> c : to pull through the water in trolling <troll a lure> d : to search in or at <trolls flea markets for bargains>; also : PROWL <troll nightclubs>

[from Merriam-Webstar Online]

They ought to add a definition referring to internet trolling - it's common enough by now.

Aha! Thank you. This puzzle is finally solved in my mind now. For a long time I had wondered if trolling was a reference to fishing -- which seemed to make sense. But I thought that the fishing word was 'trawl.' And 'trawl' is a fishing word, but I could see that the word used to refer to the internet phenomenon was not spelled 'trawl,' so (deductively) I thought I must have been mistaken about trolling referring to fishing. The information I was missing, is that 'trolling' refers to fishing too. And that 'trolling' is the more appropriate fishing metaphor, as it uses a lure; whereas, trawling uses a dragnet.