Stephen Speicher

37th Anniversary of Apollo 11 lift-off

3 posts in this topic

Thirty-seven years ago, on July 16, 1969 at 9:32 am EST, Apollo 11 achieved lift-off from the Kennedy Space Center on its epic journey to the Moon. Here you can listen to a sample of the incredible sound generated by the first stage of the Saturn V [click on "Hear a Sample (low bit rate mp3)"]. It is estimated that over one million people came to view the launch, jammed together on the beaches and the highways. I have spoken to some who attended the event and they say that the roar from a million people at lift-off rivaled the unbelievably loud roar of the Saturn V. A magnificent day! Hats off to Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins, and Buzz Aldrin for manning the flight, as well as to all the technical and support people who made it possible.

-- all using computers, both on earth and in the space craft, far less powerful than what you now have in your laptop.

-- all using computers, both on earth and in the space craft, far less powerful than what you now have in your laptop.
A math teacher once told me that a TI - 83 calculator was more powerful. I don't know if it's true, but I was impressed.