Elle

Acura NSX

28 posts in this topic

Excellent choice, Elle! I remember one passing me a few years back. He drove behind me for a few miles as we cleared some speed traps. Then he stepped on the gas and let her rip as he passed me. It was like watching the Starship Enterprise kick in the warp drive. And we were both doing 85 at the time! :(

Lovely looking car, they can be scary at the hands of a non skilled driver though... On second thoughts I guess that goes for most cars!

Lovely looking car, they can be scary at the hands of a non skilled driver though...

Actually, I've heard complaints that the NSX is handles too well in cornering -- precisely because that mid engine is so close to the center of gravity. Another dream car of mine, the Porsche 911, has its engine so far in the rear that in a skid the opposite of conventional wisdom holds. Rather than let up on the gas, the driver should hit the gas and turn into the skid to avoid having the thing swing around 180 degrees!

Of course, cars are not that high on my hierarchy of values. I'll be satisfied with my cheap pickup truck for quite some time!

Congratulations, Elle! The NSX is indeed a fantastic piece of engineering!

What model year is the car you're buying? Does it have the Formula One transmission?

Another dream car of mine, the Porsche 911, has its engine so far in the rear that in a skid the opposite of conventional wisdom holds. Rather than let up on the gas, the driver should hit the gas and turn into the skid to avoid having the thing swing around 180 degrees!

Of course, cars are not that high on my hierarchy of values. I'll be satisfied with my cheap pickup truck for quite some time!

I hate to nitpick but I'm confused here: I don't understand your noting the significance of turning into the skid with a Porsche, isn't that standard procedure of what you do with any vehicle in a skid? From ice, to water, to river-mud I've always turned into the skid in everything from a four-wheeler to a 4x4 truck that is front heavy on the weight.

But I do understand what you mean on the swing around 180 degrees! Riding around in the 600-horsepower muscle car my brother built I've experienced it plenty of times :(

Sweet car.

My dream car is more like an Audi A8 W12, but I have too many more important expensive hobbies and interests, so I don't think that will ever happen. A TT one day maybe... For now, I'm happy with my '99 RAV4...

Great car, that NSX. It's a driver's supercar, with a V6 that can sing, and Honda reliability. It's got staying power too -- the Automotive Lease Guide estimates the car retains 63% residual value after three years (50% is considered very good, if memory serves).

However, these things are meaningless if the car doesn't light your fires as soon as your eyes greet its body, or as soon as you enter its world, shut the door, and give the orders. Why do you love this car Elle?

Personally, for these reasons, the NSX just doesn't do it for me.

That's awesome! congratulations

I hate to nitpick but I'm confused here: I don't understand your noting the significance of turning into the skid with a Porsche, isn't that standard procedure of what you do with any vehicle in a skid? From ice, to water, to river-mud I've always turned into the skid in everything from a four-wheeler to a 4x4 truck that is front heavy on the weight.

Oops! I should have said "into the turn" or "away from the skid". In other words, if the back end of the car is slipping to the right, then rather than ease off the gas and and turn the wheel right -- the standard procedure -- a 911 driver should step on the gas and turn the wheel even more to the left. But that's what I've read and heard. I have never driven a Porsche 911. :(

The NSX, with it's engine so close to its center of gravity, is pretty much neutrally stable in a turn. Especially compared to the 911. But again, so I hear. I have also never driven an Acura NSX. Another :D .

I guess it comes down to taste. Some drivers want a stable platform and others want a temperamental stallion that will buck them the moment they don't pay attention.

This will be my next car. I love it!

2005-Acura-NSX-04801041990001.JPG

Now that's what I'm talking about. Great machine. Hope it has 4 in the floor, 5th under the seat and a six-pack in the back.

:(The Acura Serenity Prayer: :D

Acura NSX, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change -

like there will always be slow pokes in the left lane;

Courage to change the things I can - like pass 'em on the right and wave sweetly; and the

Wisdom to know where the speed traps are.

Living one day at a time;

Enjoying one moment at a time;

Accepting zero to 60 in 6 seconds as the pathway to peace.

Taking, as Ayn Rand did, this magnificent world as it ought to be,

not as I would have it with 3/4 of the population being denied the right to drive in the left-hand lane...ever

Trusting that the engine will be tuned to perfection every time I mash the petal to the metal.

That I may be reasonably happy now in this life,

but supremely happy with my new Acura NSX warranty.

Congratulations Elle! I would think you are buying a used one, unless you are waiting for this one. Either way, I am sure you have earned it and that you will enjoy it.

if the back end of the car is slipping to the right, then [...] a 911 driver should step on the gas and turn the wheel even more to the left.

Hmm, I dunno, but I would think that that would cause a 180 degree swing no matter how far back the engine is ... unless the strategy is to achieve a 360 degree turn! :(

Congratulations Elle! I would think you are buying a used one, unless you are waiting for this one. Either way, I am sure you have earned it and that you will enjoy it.

I actually not buying this car yet - but when I do buy a new car it will be this one. I think it is beautiful, I thought I loved the appearance of corvettes until I saw this one. The older ones are a bit more angular, which I like, but the gorgeous silver new one you showed with the sleek body design is certainly a looker, too.

The most beautiful one I ever saw was dark green and looked almost black.

I love it for it's looks, but also for the reliability and make of the Acura and for its rarity. I've always wanted a fast car, but never a small zippy one. This one is large enough to get me revved up.

Holly macaroni! This is sweet!

Elle,

I look forward to the day when you post the picture of yourself with your new beautiful car, along with a large smile of course.

Hmm, I dunno, but I would think that that would cause a 180 degree swing no matter how far back the engine is ... unless the strategy is to achieve a 360 degree turn! :D

There is only one way to settle this argument. Get a Porsche 911 and a test track. While we are at it, get an NSX, a 'Vette, and a bunch of other fast cars. Then test my theory out over a long weekend.

It's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it. :(

There is only one way to settle this argument. Get a Porsche 911 and a test track. While we are at it, get an NSX, a 'Vette, and a bunch of other fast cars. Then test my theory out over a long weekend.

Oh yes, it's definitely the kind of job a boy dreams about, but if a gentleman provided me and some of my friends with the required vehicles, I would volunteer to participate, just to show my magnanimity! :D

Hmm, if Bill Gates were an Objectivist, he could do that and have a big party for his Objectivist friends. Sounds to me like a much better use of money than his current plan.

Hmm, if Bill Gates were an Objectivist, he could do that and have a big party for his Objectivist friends. Sounds to me like a much better use of money than his current plan.

Actually, just work for MotorTrend, and you could arrange a "review" of those cars. It seems every few issues they do something along the lines of a comparison of exotic sports cars.

Here in Las Vegas you can rent exotic sports cars for a day, a weekend or longer. I have a client that rented a Porsche Carrera GT for her husband for his birthday. She paid to rent the car for a whole week for him to enjoy, and he did.

Here in Las Vegas you can rent exotic sports cars for a day, a weekend or longer.

Do they allow you to bring the cars to a racetrack too? I wonder how they would react if we told them we need the cars in order to settle a bet! :(

Do they allow you to bring the cars to a racetrack too? I wonder how they would react if we told them we need the cars in order to settle a bet! :(

Remember, "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas", they do not ask? :D

The Las Vegas Speedway is made up of multiple tracks, some are used by the general public for racing on certain nights of the week.