David Sediles

A sculpture of yourself

8 posts in this topic

One day, I will have a sculpture made in my likeness. I don't know what it will look like: bust/figure, pose, etc. But I know one thing: I want it to be carved from a single block of marble. One look at this and I was convinced.

If you were to commission a sculpture of yourself, what would it look like?

At Ceasars Palace here in Las Vegas they have an exact replica of the David and it is very impressive.

Without much thought on your question I would agree with you as it is very beautiful.

ziggykd,

I must admit, I have often entertained this idea. :(

I don't have a picture of what I would want it to look like, (only in my mind) but I know that it would represent the virtues I have earned and my sense of life. Although, since a sense of life is very complex, I would choose only a few of my most loved aspects (or characteristics).

Not only am I proud of my virtues and intellectual values, but also of the body I have sculpted for myself at the gym and with my daily habits.

I think it would be beautiful to have the most wonderful aspects of ones self represented in sculpture.

I must admit, I have often entertained this idea. :(

I don't have a picture of what I would want it to look like...

I bet it would look beautiful. :D

First, I would hope my friends would commission the sculpture.

Second, it would be of me walking, but emerging from a tall block of granite. The block's surface would be rough, but the figure would be polished. The block would be wide, but not deep. The block would provide a sort of wall in a quiet part of a garden, with fruit trees growing, and a tiny stream passing by.

I have been a long-walker for nearly 50 years. (The definition of "long" changes as I age.) I have come to see my life as The Long Walk -- through a variety of conditions, always going ahead, getting better every day in every way. When that stops, life stops. It is that action that I would want captured.

First, I would hope my friends would commission the sculpture.

Second, it would be of me walking, but emerging from a tall block of granite. The block's surface would be rough, but the figure would be polished. The block would be wide, but not deep. The block would provide a sort of wall in a quiet part of a garden, with fruit trees growing, and a tiny stream passing by.

I have been a long-walker for nearly 50 years. (The definition of "long" changes as I age.) I have come to see my life as The Long Walk -- through a variety of conditions, always going ahead, getting better every day in every way. When that stops, life stops. It is that action that I would want captured.

That's absolutely lovely. Wonderful thoughts. Thanks!

After thinking over this question a little longer and reading Burgess' wonderful post I have come to a general idea of what I would like.

I picked the name of my company Progressive Exercise after listing out about 25 different names. I chose progressive because it was defined as going upward, forward or where one has not gone before. I thought that this fully described where my clients would have to go if they were going to understand and apply my ideas. But, over the years since I opened it has more defined my own actions than my clients.

I would like a heroic looking, muscularly toned man moving up a mountain. But, not climbing the mountain in the sculpture, instead standing on a plateau while gazing further up the mountain. This would signify how far I have come while being proud of the journey so far and looking ahead to what is still obtainable.

Good question. I hadn't considered it before. Sculpture is not my favorite art. I just don't respond to it the same way I do to movies, music or literature (my top faves), or painting or architecture (my second tier).

While not my final answer, my first thought would be to pose in a bolero or tango dance position, with (of course) a beautiful woman on my arm.