poojagupta

Tattoos...would you ? have you ?

100 posts in this topic

I saw a tattoo on someone the other day and suddenly realized something about myself : that I could never even dream, of ever imagining, of ever contemplating, of getting a tattoo for myself.

So if someone asked me the above question, I would not just say a plain "No", I would actually just stare and draw a blank.

Any thoughts ? feelings ? blanks ? on the topic ? (The topic being : would you consider getting a tattoo ? why ? and why not ?)

I saw a tattoo on someone the other day and suddenly realized something about myself : that I could never even dream, of ever imagining, of ever contemplating, of getting a tattoo for myself.

So if someone asked me the above question, I would not just say a plain "No", I would actually just stare and draw a blank.

Any thoughts ? feelings ? blanks ? on the topic ? (The topic being : would you consider getting a tattoo ? why ? and why not ?)

I've thought of that question before. My answer was, and is, definitely no.

I don't regard my body as a posterboard. So many (mostly young) people have tatoos today; I just regard them as a little bit savage. Apparently, these people want others to see the tatoo and not themselves, a kind of camouflage.

Absolutely not. No.

However, I can understand that a young person -- with a lot to learn -- might get a discrete tattoo about a special event or person, and then regret it later. For some, that might be part of growing up -- a lesson learned.

I have seen some young people tattooed over large areas and in grotestque design. I wonder, what reasons do they give for what they do? I was too repulsed to ask them directly.

The same answers and questions arise about "body piercing." Disgusting -- but I wonder how they justify it.

That is so strange. I thought something very similar just a couple of days ago too, for exactly the same reason. I was in a restaurant, and a reasonably normal looking (except for the tattoos), attractive woman working there (talking to cooks via a microphone - I don't really know what her job was) had a pretty substantial mass of tattoos all across her shoulders. And I just thought, "What is it with tattoos?" and then I remembered "Return to the Primitive" and thought, yeah, I think that must be it, i.e. just part of a cultural trend that has many elements that are getting more primitive.

My answer would be no, but I would not have drawn a complete blank about it, like you Pooja. When I was younger I sometimes thought about the matter in almost exactly the manner that BL so perceptively related about what a young person might think or do. But I never got past just a vague wondering about it. And now, I really cannot fathom it.

For me, the answer is an unequivocal no; with one sole exception. I might consider getting a tattoo if I was part of a special branch of the military. My grandfather has one across his forearm that his platoon of SEALs all got. It's very unique with a bald eagle and a ships anchor. It reminds me of America, and what keeps freedom alive. Maybe it's his age, but I never got the impression that it was a blemish on his skin- it was more like a part of his body.

But I don't plan on going into the armed forces, so I guess I won't ever get one.

In my haste, I wrote "platoon of SEALS", whereas SEALs are actually split in teams. And, for those of you who might be wondering: my grandfather was leader of a UDT (underwater demolitions team). Shortly after he retired from the special forces and became a submariner, that name was changed to "SEALs."

Sorry for the distraction. I felt I should clarify before being corrected.

I would get one if I wanted to be reminded of a time or accomplishment I was proud of, like those who get tattoos for their stay in the military. I know someone who got the logo of a kickboxing camp he trained at for several years across the world.

For me, the answer is an unequivocal no; with one sole exception. I might consider getting a tattoo if I was part of a special branch of the military.

I almost share your view, I would most likely get a tattoo if I had a type of experience I considered important enough to stylistically scar myself for life.

I spend my time around a lot of younger adults (age 20-29) who have many tattoos. Most of them get them with little forethought in the matter. That is what leads to regret. However, I know some people (who tend to be past age 30) who get tattoos for special events or accomplishments in their lives--and don't regret them.

I have not gotten a tattoo yet, I still have more thinking to do on the subject--but at this point I am still inclined to get one.

I absolutely would never get one. I do not think they are attractive at all.

Like Burgess, I can understand a young person getting one innocently and then later regretting it. (I.e., getting the name of one's girlfriend in a tattoo might turn out to be, umm, inconvenient if that relationship didn't last.)

Years ago, it seemed like the only place I saw them was on men who'd been in the military - like a tattoo of an anchor on a man who'd been in the Navy. I would never do this myself, but this kind of tattoo doesn't really bother me, because I see it as an expression of something worthy.

But, I wonder: is it the case today that some of what look like tattoos are really non-permanent - just ink that will take a while to wear off? At amusement parks I've been to, I have seen little stands that do this. It isn't a permanent tattoo; just something to "wear" while walking around the park, so I know this kind of non-permanent one exists.

Skin Graffiti

While I'll neither confirm nor deny the presence of 'body art' on my person, I generally have no problem with tattoos. Having, at one time, been in the Navy, I've seen some quite stunning designs on the shoulders of former and present military men. To me, they are expressions of pride in one's country and profession. Plus, I admire the skill of the artisan who applied the tattoo (though there are many tattoos that are applied from a template, much like using tracing paper).

When it comes to women, I find that visible tattoos, no matter how artistic, are big turn-off for reasons I'll have to think about.

The tattoos, on both men and women, that really annoy me are those that appear to be primitive designs that spread across shoulders or wrapped around arms, ankles, etc. The return of the primitive, I suppose.

Finally, a discrete mark that may be a symbol of something significant to the bearer, man or woman, can be shared, like a secret, with that special someone.

Cheers.

Skin Graffiti

Thank you guys for all your inputs, very interesting !

One of my reasons for completing not considering having tattoos was : It is false form of making up for lack for personality and/or individuality. If you have enough of both as is, you will not want to have tattoos on your body. That is why I hate the very idea. Does that sound like a valid reason ?

What is "lack of personality" and how is a tattoo a false form of making up for it?

One of my reasons for completing not considering having tattoos was : It is false form of making up for lack for personality and/or individuality. If you have enough of both as is, you will not want to have tattoos on your body. That is why I hate the very idea. Does that sound like a valid reason ?

To add to my post above...

It doesn't sound like a valid reason to me, hence my desire to share the topic with you guys.

And I know I don't find it attractive either. But my above premise makes me judge people in that way whenever I see a tattoo on them. Comments on my premise please ...

In my daily life, I see a lot of younger people with tatoos. I personally find them very unattractive and totally take away from any beauty that person has, male or female.

The first impression I get when I see someone with a tatoo is "thuggish" or malevolent. There have been very beautiful designs I have seen, which on their own were esthetically nice, but NOT on a human body. I think that the human body is beautiful enough, or too beautiful.

I have seen where a person will have "sleeves", which is their entire arm done and the back. It doesn't exactly convey the impression of professionalism or class.

The only time I ever thought of it was a Henna tatoo, which would wear off within a few months. But that was when I was younger and was a fleeting thought. It would have been "A is A". But I do not have one and will never get one.

On a different note though, there was a woman I worked with who was a registered massage therapist, and her fiance a paramedic. It wouldn't be practical for either of them to have wedding rings, so, they decided to have a "ring" tatooed on. In that case I considered it clever, but I would opt for a ring on a necklace.

Overall, I DO NOT like tatoos at all. I can stand it on other people, but wince when I see them.

I'm not sure if more people are actually getting more tatoos, or I'm just noticing it more, but what people are doing to their bodys these days is extremely creepy. For example that earhole stretch trend...... :(

To add to my post above...

It doesn't sound like a valid reason to me, hence my desire to share the topic with you guys.

And I know I don't find it attractive either. But my above premise makes me judge people in that way whenever I see a tattoo on them. Comments on my premise please ...

Apart from being an eyesore, it shows, along with body piercings, a certain tribal conformity. If someone goes to this length to show how they want to be seen, then that is how they should be seen.

I've often considered getting one and always ended up thinking that I didn't want it enough to carry it forever on me. Plus, in Seattle, everyone and their grandmother has one, and I like the idea of being different :( .

One idea I have is of a $ sign on a shoulder. There's a show on TV called Monster Garage where they build weird things out of cars and the lead (Jesse James, recently married to Sandra Bullock) has a large depiction of a Franklin (the banknote) across his back. I think it's a pretty cool idea. If one day I get naturalized, I might get a little US flag on each shoulders - like the ones soldiers have on their jackets.

I think of tattoo as a subgenre of the general drawing arts. As such, they can be ugly or beautiful, disgusting or enlightning, well or poorly made. Many tattooes I see have no moral value - they're fantasy pieces (Chinese style dragons, etc) and sometimes I like them, but most of the time they don't convey any value at all. Tattooes are very popular among leftists / punks / neo-hippies, etc, and unfortunately many of the tattooes we see display the disgusting values associated with those sub cultures.

On top of this is the fact that the "canvas" plays a major role in the beauty of the "piece" (which is one more reason why I choose not to have any - my body just isn't nice enough for that, in my opinion). So, like jewelry and makeup, it can enhance a beautiful body, but if the body is best left unseen, a tattoo isn't going to change that, and it's nearly impossible to look at a tattoo without considering the body.

I have seen small, discrete tattoos that looked cheap and vulgar, and I have seen some that were extensive and brightly colored that were gorgeous. Those are pieces that would have taken many months of work and thousands of dollars. There are intimate tattoos that I think can be beautifully erotic - and like all such things they shouldn't be displayed overtly.

...what people are doing to their bodys these days is extremely creepy. For example that earhole stretch trend...... :(

That is absolutely disgusting, I agree. Brr....

On top of this is the fact that the "canvas" plays a major role in the beauty of the "piece" (which is one more reason why I choose not to have any - my body just isn't nice enough for that, in my opinion). So, like jewelry and makeup, it can enhance a beautiful body, but if the body is best left unseen, a tattoo isn't going to change that, and it's nearly impossible to look at a tattoo without considering the body.

Interesting point, I would agree with you.

One idea I have is of a $ sign on a shoulder.

:(

I don't think that everyone who get's a tattoo is making up for something negative or lacking in their life.

Personally (though I doubt I would ever get one), I don't see why tattoos are inherently wrong; I would consider it an optional. If I were in some Special Forces division of the military for example, I really don't see how getting a tattoo for that could be wrong.

Barring grotesque extremes, I just don't see where one can draw a line in the sand and say "this is good, this is bad" in regards to body-art. For example, piercings: how many is "too many"? Would a nose-ring be inappropriate? A belly-ring? One below the belt? etc, etc.

I am willing to consider the possibility though that I see so many tattoos in daily life that I am desensitized to them, and don't think of them as a big deal.

For example, piercings: how many is "too many"?

Hmmm, I definitely think there can be an Objective standard on this one. I have seen people with their whole bottom lip peirced, nose, eyebrow, etc... you name it. When I wear earrings or jewlery, it is to enhance what I'm wearing, or give a shimmer to my face. I think when it becomes unflattering, thet's where you draw the line.

I have seen some very attractive Indian woman with nose peircings, and I found that to be flattering.

I don't think that everyone who get's a tattoo is making up for something negative or lacking in their life.

Personally (though I doubt I would ever get one), I don't see why tattoos are inherently wrong; I would consider it an optional. If I were in some Special Forces division of the military for example, I really don't see how getting a tattoo for that could be wrong.

Barring grotesque extremes, I just don't see where one can draw a line in the sand and say "this is good, this is bad" in regards to body-art. For example, piercings: how many is "too many"? Would a nose-ring be inappropriate? A belly-ring? One below the belt? etc, etc.

I am willing to consider the possibility though that I see so many tattoos in daily life that I am desensitized to them, and don't think of them as a big deal.

A question, what is this thing with tatoos and the military? What value is supposed to be gained? Is it supposed to mean "I'm a tough guy", or "One of a bunch of tough guys"---which also means "I'm not so much of an individual, I'm subservient to the group"?

When it comes to women, I find that visible tattoos, no matter how artistic, are big turn-off for reasons I'll have to think about.

I agree. There is nothing more beautiful than a beautiful woman, and a tattoo only becomes a smudge on an otherwise enjoyable vision. Do I want to see a picture of a butterfly, or do I want to see a beautiful woman? Personally I prefer the vision of Catherine Zeta Jones to any monarch, no matter how colorful.

The tattoos, on both men and women, that really annoy me are those that appear to be primitive designs that spread across shoulders or wrapped around arms, ankles, etc. The return of the primitive, I suppose.

Exactly.

Joss Delage

That's an insightful point. My theory is that jewelry (for girls) is what draws you to them. When a girl's jewelry clinks and shimmers, it draws your eyes to them. Makeup on a girl makes her more beautiful, so when you are drawn to them, then you see a lovely image. Tattoos work against that idea.

free spirit

I'm not sure if more people are actually getting more tatoos, or I'm just noticing it more, but what people are doing to their bodys these days is extremely creepy. For example that earhole stretch trend......

Arrrrgh... that is disappointing. The sad thing is things can get worse. I've seen the pictures of Africans with plates in their mouths.

A question, what is this thing with tatoos and the military? What value is supposed to be gained? Is it supposed to mean "I'm a tough guy", or "One of a bunch of tough guys"---which also means "I'm not so much of an individual, I'm subservient to the group"?

My quick estimate of why military members get tatoos is a mixed bag of reasons. First, most of them do not believe in out-right bragging, so this is a way to say I am special. When in a military situation where every unit tries to proclaim having superior warriors, an insgina/tattoo can make that statment without saying a word. In the military there are certain units that almost all military members know to be elite.

When I was attimpting to go into a couple of special forces units the commanders recommended not getting tattoos because they are very distinguishable items that could get you recognized and possiblly killed. With that stated I would guess that the truly self-confindent military members do not care to brag this way so most of the tattoo wearers are probably just wanna-bee tough guys, trying to show off. This does not always apply though as some military members that do have tattoos are as hard as they come.

I have a very good friend that was in the Marine Corps with me and got a tattoo on his forearm. The tattoo was the best Marine tattoo I have ever seen, he had USMC typed on his forearm in old english font with the Mameluke Sword piercing all four letters.

One idea I have is of a $ sign on a shoulder.

I thought about the same thing over my bicep, but I think I’ll stick to dollar sign t-shirts because I can take them off when I decide I like a different design more.

Primitive, huge and negative designs disturb me but I don’t see something small, aesthetically pleasing and positive as wrong.