David Sediles

The Beatles -- on a ukelele!

9 posts in this topic

I've never considered the ukelele an instrument worth taking seriously, but

has completely changed my mind. I want one now! I didn't know it could be so graceful and powerful. Admittedly, I've never heard anyone play it with such mastery.

By the way: he's playing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".

I've never considered the ukelele an instrument worth taking seriously, but

has completely changed my mind. I want one now! I didn't know it could be so graceful and powerful. Admittedly, I've never heard anyone play it with such mastery.

By the way: he's playing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".

Does anyone else have trouble with Flash Drive to view this? Even though the program shows successful installation, it tells me I have it turned off. Previous attempts where I uninstalled it, then re-installed it, got it working for that session only- until the next time. I have enabled active x, so can't understand why I have this problem.

Does anyone else have trouble with Flash Drive to view this? Even though the program shows successful installation, it tells me I have it turned off. Previous attempts where I uninstalled it, then re-installed it, got it working for that session only- until the next time. I have enabled active x, so can't understand why I have this problem.

You might want to start a thread in the "Technology" forum and maybe some of the computer gurus will stand a better chance of seeing this.

Fantastic playing! Loved it very much. How does he do that without having his fingertips worn down?

I've never considered the ukelele an instrument worth taking seriously,

The ukelele is an amazing instrument. It was used with much frequency in early 20th century music (there were some especially amazing ukelele performances in a lot of early 20th century Hawaiian jazz music-- for example, the accompaniment for many of Sol Hoopii's famous steel guitar peices). It's more percussive than a guitar, and more harmonic than a banjo. They've got an interesting kind of tone. And you can do chord voicings on them which are not possible on a (normal) guitar, because the frets are closer together.

How does he do that without having his fingertips worn down?

Probably calluses, for one thing. But also, the way a ukulele is designed, you don't have to hit the strings very hard in order to get a good, resonating, loud, percussive sound out of them.

It turns out the name of the musician is Jake Shimabukuro, and he is, in a word, awesome. I like this description, taken from another video on youtube.com:

"The 29-year-old virtuoso shatters musical boundaries, playing jazz, blues, funk, classical, bluegrass, folk, flamenco, and rock. While Jake has great respect and love for traditional Hawaiian ukulele music, his mission is to show everyone that the ukulele is capable of so much more."

Some other great performances by the very talented Hawaiian:

(in concert)

It turns out the name of the musician is Jake Shimabukuro, and he is, in a word, awesome. I like this description, taken from another video on youtube.com:

"The 29-year-old virtuoso shatters musical boundaries, playing jazz, blues, funk, classical, bluegrass, folk, flamenco, and rock. While Jake has great respect and love for traditional Hawaiian ukulele music, his mission is to show everyone that the ukulele is capable of so much more."

Some other great performances by the very talented Hawaiian:

(in concert)

Thanks David. I just listened to "Let's Dance". Passionate, beautiful contrasts. Really amazing playing.

The ukelele is....more percussive than a guitar, and more harmonic than a banjo. They've got an interesting kind of tone. And you can do chord voicings on them which are not possible on a (normal) guitar, because the frets are closer together.

thank you Bold! And David!

I adore the Gently Weeps, it's just incredible, and I enjoyed the Central Park background as well.

His Japanese site has a large discography including an album titled Gently Weeps, 2006,

http://www.jklub.jp/discography/

His US site has one disc for sale, $15, but Gently Weeps isn't on that album, Dragon 2005,

http://www.jakeshimabukuro.com/store/default.aspx

[the Japanese store has the same titled album but a different cover]